Unwanted Cabin Moves - Are We Safe Once The Medallion is Orderd?

SargassoPirate

I've have  had Princess move my cabin twice for a January cruise.  The first time was an "upgrade" to a location above a late night bar.  I caught it in time to get my old cabin back and reaffirm that my reservation was marked "No Upgrade".  Then they moved me again, within the category, and won't budge citing Covid and spacing.

Now that I can print out my luggage tag and my Medallion is on the way, am I safe from further surprises?

5 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I've have  had Princess move my cabin twice for a January cruise.  The first time was an "upgrade" to a location above a late night bar.  I caught it in time to get my old cabin back and reaffirm that my reservation was marked "No Upgrade".  Then they moved me again, within the category, and won't budge citing Covid and spacing.

Now that I can print out my luggage tag and my Medallion is on the way, am I safe from further surprises?

Sadly, I would not feel safe from unwanted moves til onboard and in my cabin.

7 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

No,  marking no upgrade has not mattered twice in my case and I could not get my cabin back. 
they can make changes at any time 

8 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

How about a pleasant surprise instead of thinking you are getting hosed? 

We were on the Emerald Princess earlier this month and in our cabin we had picked months ago when the Customer Services Manager knocked on our door and asked us to follow him.  He proceeded to take us up to Aloha Deck which had been originally closed off to ensure space if needed during a covid issue.  We went all the way aft and up to a door that became unlocked because it identified our medallion and we entered an aft facing full suite!  

Needless to say we were shocked and couldn't say thank you quick enough.  All was needed from us was to pack our stuff that was in our drawers into our suitcases and they took care of moving the rest.

Prior to being on board we had received an upgrade offer that wasn't that attractive to us and they put us back in the original cabin without a problem.  We usually mark our bookings to accept upgrades in hopes of getting a mini at best.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Grego said:

How about a pleasant surprise instead of thinking you are getting hosed? .

Good point, but after I carefully select my cabin to be the right distance from elevator lobbies, close but not too close to the laundry, and with passengers above, below, and across the hall, any forced move makes me feel hosed.  Maybe if they would call and ask with a range of options, I wouldn't feel that way.

The cruise line's idea of an upgrade seldom matches mine.  In my early days of cruising I thought an upgrade was getting a nice bennie, until I wound up under the lido deck and got to wake up to loungers being dragged about, or under the gym another time, or across from a scullery, or right above a night club with boomety boomety until 1:00 AM.  The boomety boomety was the last straw.  Now I always request no upgrades and up until recently it's worked.

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Grego said:

We were on the Emerald Princess earlier this month and in our cabin we had picked months ago when the Customer Services Manager knocked on our door and asked us to follow him.  He proceeded to take us up to Aloha Deck which had been originally closed off to ensure space if needed during a covid issue.  We went all the way aft and up to a door that became unlocked because it identified our medallion and we entered an aft facing full suite!  

Needless to say we were shocked and couldn't say thank you quick enough.  All was needed from us was to pack our stuff that was in our drawers into our suitcases and they took care of moving the rest.

I wonder how they picked YOU out of all the other pax on the ship.🤔

Yes, you can be moved after getting the medallion,  We were.  Also due to covid isolation unit without any possible way of getting our cabin back because I tried. 

But, as mentioned above, upon arriving at the ship, we were upgraded from an interior to a balcony.  This was probably due to only 300 people on the ship, haha. But, it was nice and we appreciated it.  They also let us stay in that balcony for the following B2B.  So, it worked out good for us. 

Good luck, have fun! 

I've been moved twice did not bother trying to get back my original cabin since I heard about princess blocking cabins for isolation due to covid.  First was same category dw then second was to an unobtrusive view balcony, but I the balcony in New cabin is smaller so I will live with it since we have a b2b and want both cruises in same cabin.

1 hour ago, dog said:

No,  marking no upgrade has not mattered twice in my case and I could not get my cabin back. 
they can make changes at any time 

Adding

my upgrades were not a pleasant surprise. One was obstructed by lifeboats. Other was near noisy high traffic area. 

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

I truly believe they will take care of you properly once you are on the ship.  Have fun and a great vacation

Cheers

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Grego said:

Prior to being on board we had received an upgrade offer that wasn't that attractive to us and they put us back in the original cabin without a problem.  We usually mark our bookings to accept upgrades in hopes of getting a mini at best.

We love our balconies. When we decide on a cruise, we will automatically choose the Caribe deck on the Grand class ships. On other ships we will book an aft just for the outside space. We had to change a cruise on the CB because of a few issues we did not want to deal with and decided on rebooking to the Majestic. We had an aft suite so we looked at the new ship, and to our surprise, the aft suite balconies were different sizes depending on deck. We immediately chose a suite on the Dolphin deck, which has a massive balcony. We were so happy with the space we decided to talk my DWs brother and his wife into booking so we could spend some quality time on that enormous balcony. They are great traveling companions. One day I looked at my booking and saw they moved us to the Caribe deck which had a balcony a fraction of the original size. I called Princess and they did move us to another available cabin on the Baja deck that has a bigger balcony.

I understand that, at this time, why they need those isolation cabins. All the aft Penthouse suites have the same living space and I think Princess only looks at those when considering a move. I think we're safe because the S3 suites are bigger than the S4 in square feet. I would be furious if they tried to move us anywhere else on the ship. 

I do wish Princess would take into account why people choose specific type cabins and honor the "no upgrade" requests.  

I am happy you were able to enjoy such a nice upgrade, though. 🙂

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

Good point, but after I carefully select my cabin to be the right distance from elevator lobbies, close but not too close to the laundry, and with passengers above, below, and across the hall, any forced move makes me feel hosed.  Maybe if they would call and ask with a range of options, I wouldn't feel that way.

The cruise line's idea of an upgrade seldom matches mine.  In my early days of cruising I thought an upgrade was getting a nice bennie, until I wound up under the lido deck and got to wake up to loungers being dragged about, or under the gym another time, or across from a scullery, or right above a night club with boomety boomety until 1:00 AM.  The boomety boomety was the last straw.  Now I always request no upgrades and up until recently it's worked.

I'm totally with you on this. We got "upgraded" once from an OV with no problems at all to an OV below the outside area of Lido. We got that lovely racket from things being moved around really early in the morning. And we got another lovely "benefit." This was on the old Regal Princess, and the window washers were mounted right outside the window of the last two cabins on Aloha. The only time they weren't blocking half the view was when they were actually washing the windows, which was never on that cruise.

• Like 1