Live From Nieuw Statendam Nov 28 - Dec 12, 2021

Crew News

10 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Still no crackers onboard for the cheese plates?

I brought my own water crackers for the cheese plate in my minibar.  Ship has still not answered my request for them.  Since all individually-packaged items have disappeared, any bulk crackers  would probably be stale.

• Like 2

Can you ask around to see if any of the crew know the new itinerary for the Dec 26th sailing? We are supposed to go to Grand Cayman mid cruise but now GC officials have said we have to be the first stop to let us ashore. Cant seem to find out what the new plan will be.

https://www.radiocayman.gov.ky/news/cabinet-approves-holland-america-nieuw-statendam-cruise-ship-to-call-on-grand-cayman-on-28-december-2021

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Comptech said:

Can you ask around to see if any of the crew know the new itinerary for the Dec 26th sailing? We are supposed to go to Grand Cayman mid cruise but now GC officials have said we have to be the first stop to let us ashore. Cant seem to find out what the new plan will be.

https://www.radiocayman.gov.ky/news/cabinet-approves-holland-america-nieuw-statendam-cruise-ship-to-call-on-grand-cayman-on-28-december-2021

Thank you!

I will add another vote for an answer to this question 🙂 I was hoping we hear something from HAL this week about our updated itinerary, guessing they may still be figuring out the stops and timing of arrival in the ports. Thank you Roger for your informative updates! 

51 minutes ago, landrews said:

I will add another vote for an answer to this question 🙂 I was hoping we hear something from HAL this week about our updated itinerary, guessing they may still be figuring out the stops and timing of arrival in the ports. Thank you Roger for your informative updates! 

The crew heard the same info about Grand Caymon but no official change yet.  I will keep checking.

When I asked about Mariner lunches and medallion ceremonies, Guest Services Manager,  Vanessa, told me:

Big Mariner lunches in the MDR are now only on long voyages.  The big lunches were replaced by Embarkation Day lunch.  No medallion ceremonies except for Platinum.   All other medallions will be delivered to guest staterooms.  Nobody knows what the future will bring.

Vanessa is the most helpful and accommodating Guest Relations rep I have met in my HAL history.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Crew News said:

When I asked about Mariner lunches and medallion ceremonies, Guest Services Manager,  Vanessa, told me:

Big Mariner lunches in the MDR are now only on long voyages.  The big lunches were replaced by Embarkation Day lunch.  No medallion ceremonies except for Platinum.   All other medallions will be delivered to guest staterooms.  Nobody knows what the future will bring.

Vanessa is the most helpful and accommodating Guest Relations rep I have met in my HAL history.

re: the embarkation lunch taking the place of the Mariner’s lunch.  Did she mean the Mariners cocktail reception?  With current boarding assigned times few people following the rules will be onboard in time for a boarding day Mariner’s lunch.  

Edited by oaktreerb

6 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

re: the embarkation lunch taking the place of the Mariner’s lunch.  Did she mean the Mariners cocktail reception?  With current boarding assigned times few people following the rules will be onboard in time for a boarding day Mariner’s lunch.  

The 4* and 5* Mariner cocktail reception was held on Embarkation Day at 4:00 PM.  No other is planned.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Crew News said:

I always looked forward to these when I was a passenger.

27 minutes ago, golfguyhhi said:

Crew News,

Thanks for all the helpful information!!  Regarding the Bingo post earlier -- is Bingo a cash buy-in (cards) and a cash payout to winners?

I don't know but I will find out.  In the past, a few CC members won cruises.

4 hours ago, Comptech said:

Thank you!

I think the crew are probably the last to know.  I had one of the crew tell me that Hal was doing a world cruise in Jan 2022.  I kept telling him no I think that is 2023 but he kept repeating it.

16 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Poor timing for me - right before Mass - no food or drinks!

No food was served.  Officers did not welcome all guests nor did they mingle.  Guests found a seat and talked to their travel partners.  No announcements.  I did not see the Captain or Hotel General Manager in attendance.  The timing could have been better being so close to departure. 

So I raised my glass of Diet Coke for one last sip, thought about the Mariner toast I have heard in the past, and considered myself both thanked for my loyalty and "welcomed aboard."

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

40 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I think the crew are probably the last to know.  I had one of the crew tell me that Hal was doing a world cruise in Jan 2022.  I kept telling him no I think that is 2023 but he kept repeating it.

5 minutes ago, Crew News said:

No food was served.  Officers did not welcome all guests nor did they mingle.  Guests found a seat and talked to their travel partners.  No announcements.  I did not see the Captain or Hotel General Manager in attendance.  The timing could have been better being so close to departure. 

So I raised my glass of Diet Coke for one last sip, thought about the Mariner toast I have heard in the past, and considered myself both thanked for my loyalty and "welcomed aboard."

😞 I hope you're having a fun cruise so far Roger... sounds like some changes for the worse and I know the weather hasn't helped. 

10 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

😞 I hope you're having a fun cruise so far Roger... sounds like some changes for the worse and I know the weather hasn't helped. 

Unlike most of my previous cruises that were filled with shore excursions, all of my purchased excursions for this cruise were cancelled by HAL and I took full advantage of the chance to interact with crew friends and met a lot of new ones.  With few exceptions, I have been able to accomplish a lot:  dining, sleeping late, menus, information, gathering, answering CC questions, meeting fellow CC members, seeing my favorite barista (Michelle) again, and learning a lot about my phone.

The cruise has exceeded all of my expectations and more....and another week to go!!!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the price of $35 in the Notes Whiskey tasting venue. Is that the price every night or does it vary based on the items they include? My husband is most excited about this.

Thanks, and I have appreciated your menus for many years!!

4 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Unlike most of my previous cruises that were filled with shore excursions, all of my purchased excursions for this cruise were cancelled by HAL and I took full advantage of the chance to interact with crew friends and met a lot of new ones.  With few exceptions, I have been able to accomplish a lot:  dining, sleeping late, menus, information, gathering, answering CC questions, meeting fellow CC members, seeing my favorite barista (Michelle) again, and learning a lot about my phone.

The cruise has exceeded all of my expectations and more....and another week to go!!!

So glad to read that! Continued fun! 🙂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greysandy said:

Thanks for the price of $35 in the Notes Whiskey tasting venue. Is that the price every night or does it vary based on the items they include? My husband is most excited about this.

Thanks, and I have appreciated your menus for many years!!

That is the price if the ship chooses the bottles.  The Sommelier, Marcia, told me that each bottle has a price per shot if you make the choice.e p

On a similar note, I did see a bottle of Louis XIII  at the Ocean Bar and asked the price per shot.  The ship is researching what they should charge because it is not on the bar menu.  Two years ago it was $105 with half price for the second shot at Happy Hour.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

Do you know why HAL cancelled all your excursions?