Live From Nieuw Statendam Nov 28 - Dec 12, 2021

Crew News

1 hour ago, iflyrc5 said:

Do you know why HAL cancelled all your excursions?

The reasons:  Grand Turk closed until December, St John's closed, and Key West blocked cruise ships over a certain size.  Nassau was added at the last minute but after reading the threats to tourists there, I opted to stay on board.

My accumulated Delta airlines fare refunds expire on Dec 31 so cruise - or - lose meant a December cruise in spite of the COVID turmoil. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The reasons:  Grand Turk closed until December, St John's closed, and Key West blocked cruise ships over a certain size.  Nassau was added at the last minute but after reading the threats to tourists there, I opted to stay on board.

My accumulated Delta airlines fare refunds expire on Dec 31 so cruise - or - lose meant a December cruise in spite of the COVID turmoil. 

Sounds like a good reason to cruise to me!  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The second week of my California and Mexico cruise I think I left the ship for maybe an hour or two in mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.  My ports were open and I had a shorex booked for Puerto Vallarta but I wasn’t motivated to go.  I was just as happy to be onboard and enjoy the ship as I hadn’t had a vacation in 2 years.  I love hearing how the ships are managing, how they differ etc.  I don’t blame you for not getting off in Nassau.  It’s a scary place.

• Like 1

Day 05 began in bright sunshine for a change.  When I opened my curtains, the sun blinded me and I discovered we were already docked at the Haversight pier.  I had hoped to capture some iguana photos at the other St Thomas dock with which I am very familiar.  With camera in hand, I headed down the road to the port entrance for potential photos but near the gate a returning HAL passenger declared, "Nothing but shopping out there."  I turned around and went back to the ship. 

During my stroll past two cruise ships heading to the port gate and return, coupled with my walk back from buying a new suitcase, my feet reported that my cool-looking Merrell air sneakers were more useful as bedroom slippers than for long walks I had just completed.  Actually, "cool" means "fool" to me now.  My cruise packing list now adds back my hiking shoes for all cruises.

After an Asian lunch in the Lido Market buffet, and with the Half Moon Cay Lobster Shack menu in hand, I went to the Deck 2 Dining podium to book my lobster and clam chowder meal on Half Moon Cay Friday.  I have been commenting on the Lobster Shack for several years and have yet to give it a try.  I will post my opinion on Friday.

I stopped at the Club Orange Front Desk to ask questions posed here on CC and found Vanessa, Guest Relations, more than willing to answer anything.  When I mentioned that I needed to change a Meet & Greet on the Nieuw Amsterdam due to a port shuffle last night, Vanessa offered to email her friend on the ship to make the change.  Vanessa puts "customer" at the top of Guest Relations.  
Dinner was my first venture into the PG since I was last on this ship in 2019. 

Since the staff has had only one week of practice, I will give the PG two more attempts before providing feedback on the Navigator.  The food was amazing but my 50+ previous PG dinners prompts me to say that service needs a lot more practice and supervision.   

During my previous meals in the Tamarind and Canaletto, there were numerous interactions with waitstaff and Managers, to ensure that I was satisfied with my meal. and ta hank you for being their guest.   In all of my previous PG experience, tonight  was the first time the PG Manager did not stop by my table in the first 75 minutes of my meal. and having an invisible waiter.  My entree was placed on my table by my waiter and 35 minutes later, my waiter returned to ask me if I was ready for my dessert.  I finished in 15 minutes and for 20 minutes more minutes, I scanned the dining room for my waiter to announce that I was ready for my dessert but to no avail.  For ten minutes of my scanning, my waiter was not to be seen in the dining room.  The PG Manager cleared my table 15 minutes of my finishing and five minutes later my waiter materialized to ask if I was ready for my dessert.   At the time I left, nobody had asked if I was satisfied with any course or even thanked me for being one of their customers.  I strongly suggest that the PG Manager and staff spend some time in the Tamarind to learn about customer service, interacting with customers, and ensuring that every customer  is debriefed  and happy.  On this forum, I cannot recommend the Nieuw Statendam PG as it is now managed and functioning   As I stated previously, the PG gets another chance before I provide any feedback on the HAL Navigator.

FWIW my favorite PG Manager in my HAL history was one of my former Nieuw Amsterdam PG waiters.  One hour from start to finish with service like that of a fine watch.  On the other hand, the worst PG I remember was 2 hours and 10 minutes from start to finish.

Tidbits:

• There is no heavy tableware in the Pinnacle Grill
  • I am working on getting the requested info on bingo.
  • Almond cookies are now in great demand and become scarce by early afternoon.
  • I will try the Room Service Bento Box next week and report here.
  • Tomorrow in the MDR is COVID testing for me.
  • The PG no longer has lavosh sticks.
  • I will stay on top of the Grand Cayman issue as long as I am onboard.
  • One of the Club Orange dinner rolls qualify as my favorite German brotchen.
  • Tomorrow is bingo to win a cruise.

More later.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 6

48 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Day 05 began in bright sunshine for a change.  When I opened my curtains, the sun blinded me and I discovered we were already docked at the Haversight pier.  I had hoped to capture some iguana photos at the other St Thomas dock with which I am very familiar.  With camera in hand, I headed down the road to the port entrance for potential photos but near the gate a returning HAL passenger declared, "Nothing but shopping out there."  I turned around and went back to the ship. 

During my stroll past two cruise ships heading to the port gate and return, coupled with my walk back from buying a new suitcase, my feet reported that my cool-looking Merrell air sneakers were more useful as bedroom slippers than for long walks I had just completed.  Actually, "cool" means "fool" to me now.  My cruise packing list now adds back my hiking shoes for all cruises.

After an Asian lunch in the Lido Market buffet, and with the Half Moon Cay Lobster Shack menu in hand, I went to the Deck 2 Dining podium to book my lobster and clam chowder meal on Half Moon Cay Friday.  I have been commenting on the Lobster Shack for several years and have yet to give it a try.  I will post my opinion on Friday.

I stopped at the Club Orange Front Desk to ask questions posed here on CC and found Vanessa, Guest Relations, more than willing to answer anything.  When I mentioned that I needed to change a Meet & Greet on the Nieuw Amsterdam due to a port shuffle last night, Vanessa offered to email her friend on the ship to make the change.  Vanessa puts "customer" at the top of Guest Relations.  
Dinner was my first venture into the PG since I was last on this ship in 2019. 

Since the staff has had only one week of practice, I will give the PG two more attempts before providing feedback on the Navigator.  The food was amazing but my 50+ previous PG dinners prompts me to say that service needs a lot more practice and supervision.   

During my previous meals in the Tamarind and Canaletto, there were numerous interactions with waitstaff and Managers, to ensure that I was satisfied with my meal. and ta hank you for being their guest.   In all of my previous PG experience, tonight  was the first time the PG Manager did not stop by my table in the first 75 minutes of my meal. and having an invisible waiter.  My entree was placed on my table by my waiter and 35 minutes later, my waiter returned to ask me if I was ready for my dessert.  I finished in 15 minutes and for 20 minutes more minutes, I scanned the dining room for my waiter to announce that I was ready for my dessert but to no avail.  For ten minutes of my scanning, my waiter was not to be seen in the dining room.  The PG Manager cleared my table 15 minutes of my finishing and five minutes later my waiter materialized to ask if I was ready for my dessert.   At the time I left, nobody had asked if I was satisfied with any course or even thanked me for being one of their customers.  I strongly suggest that the PG Manager and staff spend some time in the Tamarind to learn about customer service, interacting with customers, and ensuring that every customer  is debriefed  and happy.  On this forum, I cannot recommend the Nieuw Statendam PG as it is now managed and functioning   As I stated previously, the PG gets another chance before I provide any feedback on the HAL Navigator.

FWIW my favorite PG Manager in my HAL history was one of my former Nieuw Amsterdam PG waiters.  One hour from start to finish with service like that of a fine watch.  On the other hand, the worst PG I remember was 2 hours and 10 minutes from start to finish.

Tidbits:

• There is no heavy tableware in the Pinnacle Grill
  • I am working on getting the requested info on bingo.
  • Almond cookies are now in great demand and become scarce by early afternoon.
  • I will try the Room Service Bento Box next week and report here.
  • Tomorrow in the MDR is COVID testing for me.
  • The PG no longer has lavosh sticks.
  • One of the Club Orange dinner rolls qualify as my favorite German brotchen.
  • Tomorrow is bingo to win a cruise.

More later.

Mmm - brotchen!  That might be a good reason to try CO if and when I cruise next.  Thanks for that tidbit!

• Like 1

I may have missed your answer already - are the room stewards servicing the rooms twice a day or just once?   A read somewhere this week on CC that on at least one ship it was only being done once a day and you had your choice of when.  

Really enjoying your posts.  We got off the Volendam on Mar 20, 2020 at the end of the Grand South America to an empty Pt Everglades and empty FLL airport.  So looking forward to getting back on a DAM ship.  We have 42 day booked on the NS from Feb 2 - Mar 16

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, iflyrc5 said:

I may have missed your answer already - are the room stewards servicing the rooms twice a day or just once?   A read somewhere this week on CC that on at least one ship it was only being done once a day and you had your choice of when.  

Really enjoying your posts.  We got off the Volendam on Mar 20, 2020 at the end of the Grand South America to an empty Pt Everglades and empty FLL airport.  So looking forward to getting back on a DAM ship.  We have 42 day booked on the NS from Feb 2 - Mar 16

I was not offered once or twice a day so I am the default twice.  I have learned that sheet changing is no longer every Wednesday but only when necessary.  NO, I did not ask if they are changed before new passengers.

My Room Steward and his partner have 36 rooms, a lot of which are empty.  I was told that this has always been the norm (give or take a few).  Some Room Stewards opt not to combine their rooms with anybody else and some do.

Once they get the PG straightened out, they NS will be back to the same level it was when I was onboard in 2019.  Please stop by the Grand Dutch and say hello to Michele the barista when you board.  She will be thrilled at the attention.

FWIW Room 5206 is ten rooms away from 5207 and not sure why.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Mmm - brotchen!  That might be a good reason to try CO if and when I cruise next.  Thanks for that tidbit!

Crunchy on the outside and very chewy inside, served warm and ready to receive a big glob of butter.

• Like 2

Room service breakfast card question.   Prior to Club Orange we sailed in a Signature Suite and was brought the suite breakfast hang on your door menu. If it is not too much trouble to find out.  Wondering if that is still the case if booked in Signature.   or has it changed only to Club Orange, Neptunes?  Much thanks for checking..

• Like 1

I was amused by the bread comment in the pinnacle grill.  On the koningsdam they gave you one tiny thin piece of bread.  It was some kind of rye as I recall.  No variety.  The last time I was on a ship they had this delicious cheese bread.  It’s kinda good that it’s gone because it was just too good.  The waiter told me that when they had it a lot of people filled up on that and couldn’t eat their main course.  Probably the same people that are making a run for the cookies in the Dutch cafe 😛.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Crew News said:

During my previous meals in the Tamarind and Canaletto, there were numerous interactions with waitstaff and Managers, to ensure that I was satisfied with my meal. and ta hank you for being their guest.   In all of my previous PG experience, tonight  was the first time the PG Manager did not stop by my table in the first 75 minutes of my meal. and having an invisible waiter. 

On Nieuw Amsterdam last week, had dinner in all 3 Specialty Restaurants. In all 3 both the waitstaff were very attentive and managers stopped by to inquire if there was anything else they could do. Sorry you didn't have this on your first PG dinner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I was amused by the bread comment in the pinnacle grill.  On the koningsdam they gave you one tiny thin piece of bread.

Last week on the Nieuw Amsterdam, we had a choice of breads from the basket held by waitstaff. Later we were asked if we wanted another selection.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Crew News said:

Crunchy on the outside and very chewy inside, served warm and ready to receive a big glob of butter.

Sounds perfect!  Do they smell good, too?  I haven’t had any luck finding decent brotchen here at home.  I think it’s the flour and/or the water.  Just not as good as in Germany.

• Like 2

RE: New Statendam and Grand Cayman. I had read on the news on one of my devices last week that the New Statendam had been approved to call there on December 28th, the first ship of any line to be approved to do so. I just Googled and found the same information.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Crew News said:

We were on the Nieuw Statendam last week. We had dinner at the PG one noght and also found the service to be somewhat lacking. I believe our waiter was very new to the PG. A supervisor kept confering with him every few minutes. He made some mistakes but he was trying. I can't say he was bad - just new and uncertain about some things. 

The wine service was also disappointing. I has crab cakes for an appitiser and ordered a glass of white wine to go with that.  I then asked for a glass of a different (red) wine to go with my main course. The wine server came and was ready to pour the new red wine into my unfinished white wine glass. I had to stop her, finish the white wine and pour some water into the glass to "clean it out" before she poured the red. She, obviously, needed more training.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, jimgev said:

We were on the Nieuw Statendam last week. We had dinner at the PG one noght and also found the service to be somewhat lacking. I believe our waiter was very new to the PG. A supervisor kept confering with him every few minutes. He made some mistakes but he was trying. I can't say he was bad - just new and uncertain about some things. 

The wine service was also disappointing. I has crab cakes for an appitiser and ordered a glass of white wine to go with that.  I then asked for a glass of a different (red) wine to go with my main course. The wine server came and was ready to pour the new red wine into my unfinished white wine glass. I had to stop her, finish the white wine and pour some water into the glass to "clean it out" before she poured the red. She, obviously, needed more training.

The PG Manager bused tables and the person at the podium prepared tables for new diners.  IMHO PG Managers set the standards, establish rolls and responsibilities, ensures every diner is happy, and takes corrective action when necessary.  If management is busing and preparing new tables, they lose the big picture of their domain.

Unfortunately, the ship does not make hires.  The ship just deals with the crew they receive.  As reported, the best dining staff onboard are in the Tamarind and Canaletto.  The Food & Beverage Manager would do well giving the PG a transfusion of Tamarind staff. 

I requested a refund of my prepaid PG and will use a 5* complimentary PG dinner fto give the PG another chance before submitting feedback on the Navigator.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bluesplayer said:

Room service breakfast card question.   Prior to Club Orange we sailed in a Signature Suite and was brought the suite breakfast hang on your door menu. If it is not too much trouble to find out.  Wondering if that is still the case if booked in Signature.   or has it changed only to Club Orange, Neptunes?  Much thanks for checking..

I will inquire for you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alberta Quilter said:

Sounds perfect!  Do they smell good, too?  I haven’t had any luck finding decent brotchen here at home.  I think it’s the flour and/or the water.  Just not as good as in Germany.

When I asked if the baker was German, I was told the baker was Filpino.  Just to be clear, they were not perfect but pretty close to the brotchen I enjoyed for my many years in Germany.  The smell was not the same but the taste tickled a lot of memories.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Crew News said:

As reported, the best dining staff onboard are in the Tamarind and Canaletto.  The Food & Beverage Manager would do well giving the PG a transfusion of Tamarind staff. 

You are right. We also dined at Tamarind. The level of service and interaction was supurb.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

I will inquire for you.

The Neptune/Pinnacle Suites and Club Orange will receive blue cards and all other categories of staterooms will receive the white cards.  SS categories will not receive the same Room Service Breakfast cards as Neptune/Pinnacle suites.

Room Service Menu Cards 2021

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Roger, two orange juice questions.

(1) Based on the regular Room Service menu you just shared .... there's no orange juice available unless it's fresh squeezed??

(2) Can you please find out if Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice is included in the Signature Beverage Package (with the Have it All promotion)? Thanks!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The Neptune/Pinnacle Suites and Club Orange will receive blue cards and all other categories of staterooms will receive the white cards.  SS categories will not receive the same Room Service Breakfast cards as Neptune/Pinnacle suites.

Room Service Menu Cards 2021

Thank you for the information and research   Another take away..    may try Club Orange..

• Like 1