Live From Nieuw Statendam Nov 28 - Dec 12, 2021

Crew News

Thanks to everyone for posting this valuable information. If I might inquire about Greenhouse Spa, is the whirlpool limited to appointment only or you free to come and go as you please? Thanks in advance. We are boarding on the 12th.

Edited by DFWGUYZ
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DFWGUYZ said:

Thanks to everyone for posting this valuable information. If I might inquire about Greenhouse Spa, is the whirlpool limited to appointment only or you just free to come and go as you please? Thanks in advance. We are boarding on the 12th.

The spa is only open if you have purchased a pass. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

Roger, two orange juice questions.

(1) Based on the regular Room Service menu you just shared .... there's no orange juice available unless it's fresh squeezed??

(2) Can you please find out if Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice is included in the Signature Beverage Package (with the Have it All promotion)? Thanks!

I will inquire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The spa is only open if you have purchased a pass. 

Thank you. I understand. I was wondering if (having a pass) the hydro pool is being limited to X number of passengers at a time. I am considering purchasing the couples pass for our voyage but if services are limited I don't want to spend the money. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimgev said:

We were on the Nieuw Statendam last week. We had dinner at the PG one noght and also found the service to be somewhat lacking. I believe our waiter was very new to the PG. A supervisor kept confering with him every few minutes. He made some mistakes but he was trying. I can't say he was bad - just new and uncertain about some things. 

The wine service was also disappointing. I has crab cakes for an appitiser and ordered a glass of white wine to go with that.  I then asked for a glass of a different (red) wine to go with my main course. The wine server came and was ready to pour the new red wine into my unfinished white wine glass. I had to stop her, finish the white wine and pour some water into the glass to "clean it out" before she poured the red. She, obviously, needed more training.

I can't believe your wine service.  That is inexcusable. I've never been a wine steward or server but common sense should tell you not to do that.  I think people like that are untrainable. Maybe if the person was in the lido, even then.  The servers in the Pinnacle should be people that have moved up through the ranks in my mind.

• Like 2

In a previous post, I suggested that the PG might be helped by a transfusion from the Tamarind staff. 

I spoke with the very efficient and friendly Asst Canaletto Manager, Ady, this afternoon and when asked, I told her about my PG experience.  It was only after I finished my description of poor service, that she volunteered that she was being moved to the PG next week.  I was promised excellent service on my next PG visit.  With 20+ years of cruiseline experience, Ady will ensure that the PG staff will definitely get their act together.

Coincidence??? or perhaps the ship is also following this thread?

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 9

11 minutes ago, DFWGUYZ said:

Thank you. I understand. I was wondering if (having a pass) the hydro pool is being limited to X number of passengers at a time. I am considering purchasing the couples pass for our voyage but if services are limited I don't want to spend the money. 

I will inquire for you.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Crew News said:

In a previous post, I suggested that the PG might be helped by a transfusion from the Tamarind staff. 

I spoke with the very efficient and friendly Asst Canaletto Manager, Ady, this afternoon and when asked, I told her about my PG experience.  It was only after I finished my description of poor service, that she volunteered that she was being moved to the PG next week.  I was promised excellent service on my next PG visit.  With 20+ years of cruiseline experience, the PG staff will definitely get their act together.

Coincidence??? or perhaps the ship is also following this thread?

Interesting.  I know for a fact that the hostess in the Club orange on the Koningsdam does read cruise critic as she told me so.  I suspect that the Pinnacle Hostess on the K did as well although that is just a hunch.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are reading this thread.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DFWGUYZ said:

Just checked.  No limit in the spa.  Of course sea days will have a lot more pax using it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, canadarocks said:

Roger, two orange juice questions.

(1) Based on the regular Room Service menu you just shared .... there's no orange juice available unless it's fresh squeezed??

(2) Can you please find out if Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice is included in the Signature Beverage Package (with the Have it All promotion)? Thanks!

Your question just proved the value of being on CC.

Room Service told me to look at the top of the Breakfast Card to see OJ.  I then asked Room Service to look at the top of his card......."you can just write it in" was the response. 

So for the near future the only HAL folks that can enjoy OJ for Room Service Breakfast will be those that follow this thread or pass by my website.

Great catch!!!

No fresh OJ with SBP through regular Room Service Breakfast.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 7

38 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I apologize if you have already mentioned this, but in scanning over the first 8 pages I didn't see any reference to evening shows or game shows in your thread so far. If you have gone to any of them, how have they been so far?

Unfortunately, I haven't made a stage show yet so I cannot comment  Here are the events on the World Stage events:

Day 02, 03 Dance Company

Day 04  Movie

Day 05 Nature Documentary

Day 06 Dance Company

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Crew News said:

I have just received the MDR menu for Christmas Day from the Club Orange staff.  Notice the return of lobster.  This meal should be the same for the HAL Caribbean fleet for 2021.

Here is the link:  Christmas Day MDR Dinner 2021

Thank you again for all your menus. Any luck with getting the New Year Day menu?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Thank you again for all your menus. Any luck with getting the New Year Day menu?

The Christmas menu just arrived on  board today and I have a number of culinary folks on the lookout for me for the NYE menu.  Since I will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam, for NYE I have a personal interest of getting it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Crew News said:

The Christmas menu just arrived on  board today and I have a number of culinary folks on the lookout for me for the NYE menu.  Since I will be on the Nieuw Amsterdam, for NYE I have a personal interest of getting it.

Super!! Thank you again. 

Sorry, forgot to ask earlier — how soon can you reserve the Lobster Shack meal on Half Moon Cay?

Edited by Sharon in AZ
Stupid spell check
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Super!! Thank you again. 

Sorry, forgot to ask earlier — how soon can you reserve the Lobster Shack meal on Half Moon Cay?

You can reserve anytime at the Deck 2 kiosk across from the PG. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Those were the evening shows? Wow! I guess not much has change.

They did have an "Off the Charts" that consisted of the Billboard Entertainers and Step Dancers when we were on Rotterdam.  I believe these are on every Sailing now on all Ships.  We liked the Duo so enjoyed the Show very much.

They moved the Comedy Shows into BB King so it's real hit or miss on whether one can get a seat (let alone a good Seat).  The Times seem to vary, too, depending on the night.  This seems to be the new "Norm" and, IMO, it's a Disaster!  They are trying to make it into a "Punchliner's Club" that they have on Carnival.  We finally made it into one on the Rotterdam on the last night they had the Comedians (never made it into any on the Nieuw Amsterdam).  Even though we went about 1/2 hour  Early there were no Seats but they started setting up Seats.  The Comedian would interact with some from the Audience but only a small number of people could see who he was talking to and the humor was completely lost.  We ended up leaving after the 1st Comedian as did many others.  

The kicker is:  they were showing a Movie in World Stage instead of having the Comedians in there!   They have a Big Screen on Lido and yet showing a Movie in the World Stage!   SMH  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, canadarocks said:

Thanks Roger. I'm glad I noticed it too. I figured the fresh squeezed OJ through Room Service wasn't included. But can you please find out if it's free with the HIA Signature Package, if we eat breakfast in the MDR? Thanks again!

It is included with the HIA Signature package.  My aunt had it every morning both in the MDR and the Lido on the Nieuw Amsterdam in October, so it should also be included on the NS.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Crew News said:

I have just received the MDR menu for Christmas Day from the Club Orange staff. 

Thanks for posting this.  That is a good menu in my opinion.  

8 hours ago, Crew News said:

IMHO PG Managers set the standards, establish rolls and responsibilities, ensures every diner is happy, and takes corrective action when necessary.  If management is busing and preparing new tables, they lose the big picture of their domain.

Agree.  If I were a PG Manager, I would NOT be busing tables and those of my staff that aren't doing their job would be reported to the Senior Hotel Officers in charge of food service for corrective action to be taken.  

The inconsistency of the PG experience from ship to ship cannot be excused.  It's been going on for far too long.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crew News said:

Unfortunately, I haven't made a stage show yet so I cannot comment  Here are the events on the World Stage events:

Day 02, 03 Dance Company

Day 04  Movie

Day 05 Nature Documentary

Day 06 Dance Company

If I am cruising and I am paying for such entertainment in The World Stage?  Watching the movie Ratatouille in my stateroom might be more enjoyable for me.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TXCruiser78660 said:

It is included with the HIA Signature package.  My aunt had it every morning both in the MDR and the Lido on the Nieuw Amsterdam in October, so it should also be included on the NS.

Thanks so much! DH will be very happy. 🙂 

• Like 1