Live From Nieuw Statendam Nov 28 - Dec 12, 2021

Crew News

8 minutes ago, GVcruiser said:

I know someone asked earlier in the thread, but have you had a chance to see if the club orange dining area has been changed? For example, new chairs? Thanks.

CC swallowed my second post last night, so it seems, where I answered your question.  The answer is the chairs/tables look the same as they were two years ago.

When I get back from dinner tonight, I will repost my "tidbits" from last night plus a few more.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Crew News said:

According to Guest Services, 1250 pax next week.  So, savor the short lines at every venue on board.

That is half capacity or less. That was full capacity for the "S" class when they came out in the 1990's

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Crew News said:

Yes, with low passenger rate, I am now spoiled. 

FWIW ship offered cookies in spite of Ship Services saying "no".  Cookies were chewy just like those giant cookies from the Grand Dutch Cafe.

Nice and Yum!  Looking forward to being spoiled next week!  😀

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, canadarocks said:

Roger can you please tell me if there are now Slot Machines in the Ocean Bar?

When I passed by the Ocean Bar, today I was not looking for them but I don't remember seeing any.  I will check tomorrow.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Day 2 began with warm sun and calm waters.  The Lido less than half capacity with no waiting for any station.  Presty, Lido Manager, saw me in line and asked me if I needed anything and I said, "crackers."  I felt sorry for asking because I am certain from the Alaska threads that crackers have disappeared. I brought my own water crackers.

The morning Meet & Greet had a bit over half participation.  Vanessa, Ship Events Coordinator, was more than gracious to ensure we were happy.  She even contributed a platter of cookies of the same consistency as those in the Grand Dutch Cafe.  Next weeks Meet & Greet should be at least double the numbers of today.  

During lunch at the NY Pizza and Deli, a movie started playing on the movie screen.  I must have been seated under a 2-foot woofer as everything vibrated when bass sounds began.  I brought up the subject of popcorn with the Panorama bartender and he pointed to the palm tree under the movie screen.  One of the servers fetched a tray of popcorn bags for those of us seated at the bar. Evening movies will have popcorn available at the Panorama Bar above the pool..  I experienced the best HAL popcorn in my memory.

A second dinner in the Tamarind ended with a great success.  My server the past two Tamarind meals, Linda, was very  efficient and friendly.  Ask for her if you eat at the Tamarind.  I had the chance to speak with the senior sommelier and peppered her with CC-inspired questions.  On Pinnacle-class ships, there are four sommeliers (Sel de Mer, PG, MDR, and Lido/Tamarind).  Signature-class will have three for PG, MDR, and Lido/Tamarind.  Vista-class will have only two at PG and MDR.  The sommeliers alternate working in the Blend twine-tasting events.  Bar tenders work at the Notes whiskey tasting.

Presty, Lido Manager, and I talked about his CC friends for the GWV and his strange events.
My evening has been spent scanning and trying to post on CC.  It usually takes at least 10 logout/login routines to make a post stick.  

Tomorrow is Amber Cove and just a relaxing day onboard for me as I hope to get all of my scanning and photos in order for updating in San Juan on Wednesday.  I will give my new portable router a try and see if i can connect all of my devices at the same time.

The following are the tidbits I thought I had posted yesterday:

• I now have Half Moon Cay Lobster Shack menu.  Reservations needed onboard to count lobster needed.
  • There is a Specialty Restaurant reservation podium across from the spa on Embarkation Day.
  • Club Orange furniture looks the same as two years ago.
  • I am working on Christmas and New Years Eve menus
  • I am working on Caribbean 10/11-day menus.
  • Everything has QR codes so make your phone is QR capable.
  • Happy Hour is in the Billboard Bar.
  • Notes whiskey tasting cost $35.
  • Mass daily at 5:00 PM
  • No individual milk cartons could be found so glass was filled from pitcher of milk.
  • Early dining is 5:00 PM.
  • Movie popcorn can be found near the palm tree under the screen and at Panorama Bar.
  • 4* and 5* soda discount only from barista terminal in Explorations Cafe.  Not in Dutch Cafe.
  • My minibar was cleaned out in less than two hours from requesting.
  • Bathroom bar soap replaced my Elmis liquid soap mounted next to sink.
  • It takes more than one hour to transfer your Navigator info from HAL to ship.

More tomorrow.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 7

Please expand more on your statement of 

• Everything has QR codes so make your phone is QR capable.

What are the QR codes on and what are the codes used for?

Also - are masks required in the gym when using the machines?

Thanks

• Like 1

5 hours ago, iflyrc5 said:

What are the QR codes on and what are the codes used for?

The QR codes are on tables in all bars and restaurants.  You scan them and they take you to the ship's intranet and open the menu/drinks menu for that location.  Perfectly safe to do and means that pax are not handling menus or drinks lists etc.  Another way of trying to keep transmission of viral infections down.  Of course if you know what drink you want, then you don't need to use the code! 

Before you travel, download a free QR code reader from your App Store (Android/iphone) and install it on your phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

The QR codes are on tables in all bars and restaurants.  You scan them and they take you to the ship's intranet and open the menu/drinks menu for that location.  Perfectly safe to do and means that pax are not handling menus or drinks lists etc.  Another way of trying to keep transmission of viral infections down.  Of course if you know what drink you want, then you don't need to use the code! 

Before you travel, download a free QR code reader from your App Store (Android/iphone) and install it on your phone.

Thanks for the information - we have a few restaurants that are doing that here in the Indy area.  In the past I have not normally carried my phone with me around the ship as the ship is a place to unplug and relax without that distraction  - I might forget I have it on me and it could end up in the pool.  Looks like I may need to carry it as least some times.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Thank you Roger for all the information.  I know you aren’t on the koningsdam but I was presented with a menu at least 90 percent of the time.  I would say no thank you I’ll use my phone.  Are you finding they are getting people to use the QR code?

Nearly everyone is using the hard copy menus.  The Tamarind is dark and the menu is not boldly printed so a quick click on the QR code on your table pops open the menu on your phone.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

Eagerly have been waiting for all the menu info you are going to provide. Do they still have the Indian and Vegetarian dinner menus? I don’t see those in the Navigator app.

I have added your question to my list.  I have planted the seeds to get the Christmas and New Years menus but no promises yet.

• Like 5

Hi Roger and thank you for taking us along on your cruise and  answering our questions . Did you receive and Email from HAL this morning regarding our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise on December 30th ? It's seems though they have reversed the cruise order and flip flopped Aruba and Curacao . We now have to cancel and rebook 8 specialty dining times and try to reschedule 3 private tours - if the guides are available . HAL sometimes seems to be company without a compass .

HAL change.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, triiip42 said:

Happy hour in the Billboard Bar...what is the Happy hour deal?

Thanks

Buy one and second one is half price.  I have asked for the price of Louis XIII, not on the menu but available, and will have it soon.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vicd1969 said:

Eagerly have been waiting for all the menu info you are going to provide. Do they still have the Indian and Vegetarian dinner menus? I don’t see those in the Navigator app.

I have a list of all of the vegan dishes and where they are available.  Will try to upload when better internet connection via phone in Puerto Rico tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Hi Roger and thank you for taking us along on your cruise and  answering our questions . Did you receive and Email from HAL this morning regarding our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise on December 30th ? It's seems though they have reversed the cruise order and flip flopped Aruba and Curacao . We now have to cancel and rebook 8 specialty dining times and try to reschedule 3 private tours - if the guides are available . HAL sometimes seems to be company without a compass .

HAL change.JPG

On;y had to adjust one dining time.  Excursions transferred.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DONNACRUZ said:

I am sailing on the nieuw statendam Jan 2 2022 10nights. Do you know if the steam room and sauna in the spa is free to use or do you have to purchase a day pass. Thank you. 

You will need a day pass.  If you make a reservation on Embarkation Day, there is usually a discount.

• Like 2