Tell me about Seaboun - how does it compare to other top lines?

isdoo

Used to currently cruising in decent suites with Celebrity, but looking for smaller ships.

How does Seaboun compare to other luxury lines.

We are from the UK, so any issues?

Currently looking at Christmas 2022.

Appreciate any insight.

We have cruised both lines.   The basic Celebrity Sky Suite and the basic Seabourn Suite are similar as neither cabin is an actual suite with a separate bedroom.   The higher level suites on Celebrity, Royal Suite and above, compare with the better suites on Seabourn.   The entire ship, on Seabourn,is a retreat and every passenger is treated the same.   There is no special attention given the higher level suites in passenger areas on Seabourn.    No extra charges on Seabourn for drinks, basic wines and specialty dining.

Seabourn is very comparable to Silver sea and Regent in terms of ship size, cabins, suites, etc.  the ships layout is different, but pleasant, from a classic cruise ship design with many of the common areas positioned towards the stern.  Mrs Banjo and I have cruised all three lines on multiple occasions, all of them are very good and so we look at the IT as more of a priority.

One thing that appeared almost immediately as we boarded Seabourn, is how happy the crew were.  We noticed it almost immediately.  Everyone appeared happy to be there.  I understand that Seabourn treats it’s staff quite well and it really shows.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alidor said:

One thing that appeared almost immediately as we boarded Seabourn, is how happy the crew were.  We noticed it almost immediately.  Everyone appeared happy to be there.  I understand that Seabourn treats it’s staff quite well and it really shows.

Agree 100%! The crew has been amazing and seem genuinely happy. 

• Like 1

We have sailed on Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Celebrity. Crystal was a one and never again, as the staterooms tired and small, and service outside of dining poor. I think due to the fact only 2 ships with many repeat passengers, we felt we were outside the party. Also influenced by a large group. Crystal’s ships are large older ships in comparison to the other luxury lines. I also worry about their financial status, my TA discourages booking due to this.

Regent and Seabourn have a very, very similar vibe. These lines have friendly, well-traveled and very unpretentious, happy passengers. The crew seem happy and are very attentive. We feel you have more interaction with the officers out and about the ship with Regent. We actually had the captain join us on a shore excursion in Greece ( we did not recognize him until excursion almost over).. Still we have had great interaction with the officers and crew on Seabourn. Absolutely nothing beats Seabourn’s “Caviar in the Surf”. This is  especially true in Thailand. We love the size of the both Regent and Seabourn’s ships, though personally prefer the older ships on both lines. The suites on both ships wonderful. We have only stayed on the lowest level of balcony on both lines and have had fabulous service on both. We have a Regent cruise scheduled in 2022 and a Seabourn in 2023. Interestingly we have our first penthouse suite with a butler on Regent in a few months (fingers crossed) and our first penthouse on Seabourn in 2023 so I can see if much difference in comparison. I was impressed when we canceled a very long cruise on Regent last summer, we got our total payment including overlands excursions in 2 weeks. The pros and cons of Regents all inclusive pricing can be found with a search on Cruise critic.

We know people who really like Silverseas. They have interesting itinerary’s especially on their expedition ships. Who know, we may try in 2025.

We used to cruise mainly Celebrity. It will be our  go-to line if with the kids no grandkids. We found Celebrity nice but Seabourn and Regent a huge jump up in almost all aspects of cruising important to us. I suggest to just try a luxury cruise. Only you can decide if worth if.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, travelwell said:

We have sailed on Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Celebrity. Crystal was a one and never again, as the staterooms tired and small, and service outside of dining poor. I think due to the fact only 2 ships with many repeat passengers, we felt we were outside the party.

We had a great time on Crystal River but agree 100% with the above regarding Crystal Ocean with the exception of tour comment regarding the service which we found all around to be excellent.  The suites are small, pathetically so unless in a penthouse (and we were not) which is equal to a Seabourn veranda.  We found the food to be excellent on Crystal but the experience with other pax was totally different from what we have experienced from our Seabourn cruises where we regularly keep in touch with people we met over the years.  On Crystal if you were not a repeat sailor then neither senior Officers nor "crystalized" cruisers wanted much to do with you was our experience.  On Seabourn you make friends for life.  

I agree with making friends on SB.  But I'm a bit of a fraud posting on this thread really because we've only ever done SB.

We loved our first cruise so much (and are about to go platinum now!) that we couldn't see the point of trying other cruise lines.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

This is a good thread for us. We are boarding our first Seabourn cruise in March. We have sailed Regent and Oceania both of which we have really enjoyed. It’s good to repeatedly hear that everyone is treated the same from happy content staff. We have a Penthouse Spa cabin, mainly for corner balcony! Can’t wait. 

• Like 1

I shall follow this thread with interest as I am looking closely at two 2023 cruises. One on Ovation and one on Encore .. although, for a first timer, a 17 day ‘going in blind’ is scary 😀

FWIW I am migrating from Silversea as I am not overly happy at what is in my opinion, a drop in corporate standards … ie price hikes and cost cutting.

My big reservation with Seabourn is the appalling customer service received from Seattle which ignores email requests for quotes as they say are too busy?? They said they would try and answer within three to four weeks!!!

I am working on the principle that the ‘on board’ experience will be not dissimilar to SS … less formal but still top notch. 
We shall see as further research is required.

28 minutes ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Don't judge the on-board experience, which is excellent, based on interactions, or lack thereof, from Seattle.  I, and many others will also, suggest using a good travel agent as opposed to trying to deal with Seabourn for bookings.

DITTO

2 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

My big reservation with Seabourn is the appalling customer service received from Seattle which ignores email requests for quotes as they say are too busy?? They said they would try and answer within three to four weeks!!!

The quote you will receive is whatever the website says on the day they answer.  You can do a fake booking to get the price.  Instead of clicking on "Request a Quote," click on "Learn More" and then on "Book Now."  It is clunky, but you can get prices for different suites, dates, etc. You will not get asked for your name until well into the process when you have settled on a suite.

I would then use a good travel agent instead of booking through the website..