Anyone successfully requested refund for COVID protocol changes?

coldflame

Does anyone know how this works when only 1 person in your cabin wants to cancel due to protocol?  We have a cabin for 3 for a March cruise that has been lifted and shifted twice.  The third person is not comfortable with the protocols.  Will they give her a refund of her deposit?  We are not at final payment since they moved that to 30 days.  Will they reprice the cabin for the remaining 2?  Just trying to get an idea of what to expect when I call.

Just now, Lolaash said:

Will they give her a refund of her deposit?  We are not at final payment since they moved that to 30 days.  

You should be able to get a refund for the third person (or lower the final payment by that amount) but you may get moved to a two person cabin.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lolaash said:

Does anyone know how this works when only 1 person in your cabin wants to cancel due to protocol?  We have a cabin for 3 for a March cruise that has been lifted and shifted twice.  The third person is not comfortable with the protocols.  Will they give her a refund of her deposit?  We are not at final payment since they moved that to 30 days.  Will they reprice the cabin for the remaining 2?  Just trying to get an idea of what to expect when I call.

They should not reprice it.  I just removed my husband from a couple of bookings with no price change  But like @Biker19 said you may get moved to a 2 person cabin

Edited by molly361

After 20 months, I'm still amazed people want to cancel......why book in the first place?  This is a long term issue, which will last at least another 3 years. Getting tests are now super easy, doing it at home, and wearing a mask is very limited on the ship.  I think maybe only 10% of my time I had it on. 

Edited by Joseph2017China

I was supposed to be on the Mariner this week but when the news about omicron came out, my wife and I (both fully vax'd) thought it best to cancel.  Last Tuesday  I called C&A and after a short time on hold, they came back and said the supervisor had approved a one time full refund because of covid.  They said that they had input the code for a manual refund, but that I may still get e-mails and texts about the upcoming cruise.  It may also stay on the cruise planner.  Two days later, it was still on the cruise planner and so I called a second time.  The person answering seemed confused when I called about the reservation and hesitantly said that it had been cancelled.  He seemed relieved when I confirmed that was the case and was just calling to make sure it had been properly cancelled.  He confirmed that it was marked for a manual entry for a full refund.  He was not sure when it will be issued as apparently there had been quire a few last week.  Hopefully, all is good for the refund as I didn't think to get anything in writing.

9 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

After 20 months, I'm still amazed people want to cancel......why book in the first place?  This is a long term issue, which will last at least another 3 years. Getting tests are now super easy, doing it at home, and wearing a mask is very limited on the ship.  I think maybe only 10% of my time I had it on. 

This cruise was booked a year prior to Covid.

22 hours ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Were the protocols for your specific sailing out yet? If too far in advance can't get a refund for protocol reasons we've been told. 

There were no problematic protocols announced/in effect at the time of the booking.

• Like 1

I requested a refund in August for an October Med cruise when it was announced Italy would not allow independent excursions. I was denied a cash refund when I called our TA and RC. However, I sent an email to Michael Bayley's office and eventually was given the refund. So, be persistent if you are initially told no. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Acruisingperson said:

I requested a refund in August for an October Med cruise when it was announced Italy would not allow independent excursions. I was denied a cash refund when I called our TA and RC. However, I sent an email to Michael Bayley's office and eventually was given the refund. So, be persistent if you are initially told no. 

Sometimes you have to fight for what's right. 

• Like 1

On 12/4/2021 at 9:47 PM, Viking75 said:

I cancelled a cruise in Sept when the CDC issued a new warning for seniors.  I had the travel agent cancel the cruise in accordance with Royal's "Cruise with Confidence" program.  I received a letter from the T/A that the cruise was cancelled and I also called Royal to confirm the trip was properly cancelled.  Royal confirmed on the phone that the cruise was properly cancelled and I was entitled to a refund and FCC.  Royal is now arguing that they have no record of us cancelling the cruise and therefore are denying any form of refund.  Therefore, I recommend that if you do cancel you get it in writing from Royal and not the travel agent as they don't seem to want to honor their own policy.  The one Royal agent said on the phone that cancelling is a very manual process for them compared to everything else.  Therefore, I imagine they are now being obstinate about their own bookkeeping error.    I am hoping our credit card company can get it resolved but Royal intitally promised payment within 45 days and it is now 90 days and they are refusing to do anything. If that happens, this is one Diamond member who will never set foot on one of their ships ever again. 

This is a familiar story and Royal has even gone so far as accusing TA's of cancelling cruises under "cruise with confidence"  that were actually pandemic cancelations (125% FCC) of the entire itinerary.  The dishonesty has me so disheartened as a diamond member too.  I would have never dreamed I would have an RCL rep outright fabricate stories over the phone to me.  I am in mourning right now with the disappointment. 

5 hours ago, Joseph2017China said:

In my case I booked this cruise in November, 2019 - before Covid, so it isn't like I booked this after all of this started and now I'm having second thoughts.

While getting the test may be easy, taking a chance that I might have to cancel not only a cruise, but flights, hotels, arrangements for my pets, etc.two days prior to departure is simply not worth the hassle just to get on a ship.  No thanks.

While I agree that this will probably continue for an unknown amount of time, I don't have to cruise and as much as I love it, my life will definitely continue if I don't and go on other less restrictive vacations.

You live in Florida - not really as much of an issue as it is for those of us who are not close enough to drive.

Edited by mek
  • Like 1

Update - I just spoke to my TA and I have 2 options:

1. Request a FFC that must be booked by April, 2022 for travel by 12/31/22.

2. Transfer deposit to a cruise departing in 2023, with no penalty.

This cruise was booked with a NRD, so not getting deposit back.  TA thinks a full refund because of objections to protocols has expired, but he said he would check on it for me if I wanted. 

Not sure what direction I will be going - I need to see what is available for fall and into 2023.  While I think the mask mandate will at some point be eliminated later this year, I'm not as confident the pre cruise test will and that is the most potentially problematic for us.