Thinking of canceling your Spring River Cruise?

nursinadream

A friend just returned and wished she had not gone.

I had a cruise and river cruise scheduled for April and cancelled. No regrets. Too many moving parts.

I wouldn't go. Cost too much to fly across the pond and not have a full experience. A lot can change between now and then. If anything - you can probably book last minute if you want later on.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coral said:

A friend just returned and wished she had not gone.

What a pity. I understand it perfectly, as a local here.

April is a long time away and much can change but the problem is the final payment date. Hmm...

28 minutes ago, nursinadream said:

We are. A group of 7 couples

This stood out in your post and made me think. Do you really want to go without your friends? Can you imagine yourself being on a ship without them? Perhaps a thought for you.

notamermaid

• Like 2

I think there are too many uncertainties regarding 2022 to make a scientifically solid decision, but my guess is that things will still be "weird" in April 2022.  I would think it is probably not a bad idea to reschedule the cruise to a later time in 2022.   I thought it was also very telling of the situation when someone from Crystal who are highly aware of current bookings also said to us to think twice before booking any new (ocean, in this case) cruises for early 2022 because there is a very good chance some of their itineraries will be disrupted by the outbreak.  We had an ocean cruise booked in late April 2022 and we recently cancelled it and booked a different cruise in late August 2022.  At least we will have more time to see where this outbreak is unfolding in year 2022.

Edited by Psoque
fixed typos
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Psoque said:

I think there are too many uncertainties regarding 2022 to make a scientifically solid decision, but my guess is that things will still be "weird" in April 2022. 

Our cruise is now in it's 3rd incarnation (Mar 2020 to Apr 2021 to Mar 22).  We're due to depart March 26, but who knows?  The issue is we're booked on a cruise that ONLY goes in the springtime (tulips).  And the cruise company has had our money in their pocket for 3 years now.  And, of course, every change means the trip costs more than the original price.  

3 hours ago, notamermaid said:

...Do you really want to go without your friends?...

IMO, this is the bigger issue.

We made our final payment when the pandemic was at its height, & assumed it would be better by the date of our trip,....or Scenic would cancel & offer us a better deal to wait.

We wound up being their first Rhine cruise after the long closure (Sept 8) , AND HAD A GREAT TIME!

Was great to visit all the usually crowded sites and have no crowds at all! 

The locals were so glad to see us and we had great service everywhere.

IMO, if you're OK with going without all of your friends, its worth it.

Edited by mapsd
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, Shmoo here said:

Our cruise is now in it's 3rd incarnation (Mar 2020 to Apr 2021 to Mar 22).  We're due to depart March 26, but who knows?  The issue is we're booked on a cruise that ONLY goes in the springtime (tulips).  And the cruise company has had our money in their pocket for 3 years now.  And, of course, every change means the trip costs more than the original price.  

That's too bad.  I guess you did not have the option to cancel the original cruise for a refund?  Our cruise on September 2020 was cancelled and instead of letting the cruise line keep the money, we asked for a refund.  It took a long time to receive the refund, but I think it was the best decision in retrospect.  I know that most cruise lines tempted their customers with future cruise credits, but I was more interested in having the flexibility to make my booking on my own terms.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mapsd said:

IMO, this is the bigger issue.

We made our final payment when the pandemic was at its height, & assumed it would be better by the date of our trip,....or Scenic would cancel & offer us a better deal to wait.

We wound up being their first Rhine cruise after the long closure (Sept 😎 , AND HAD A GREAT TIME!

We did our first cruise after the start of the outbreak last month.  We just lucked out that a) this was a Rhine cruise, not a Danube cruise b) this was not marketed as a Christmas market cruise (so we did not pay as much for it, and the cruise started in mid-November, instead of in December) c) the spread of both Delta and Omicron variants were not as bad when we started the cruise.  So we just squeaked by, leaving Amsterdam a day before the current level of restrictions there began.  I think timing is the key, but it is nearly impossible to time your cruise correctly.  I'm glad you had a great time in September, and we are also very grateful that we were lucky enough to be able to do our cruise and only three crew members  and one passengers tested positive (I was told if more tested positive, the cruise would have had to discontinue in middle of our itinerary) during the cruise.

Whether we like it or not, things are worse now, definitely worse than it was in September, and I think worse than it was in November.  We have no idea how this outbreak will revolve in the next few months.  So it is completely impossible to predict how (or for that matter if) your cruise will turn out in April of 2022.

Edited by Psoque
fixed typos
  • Like 1

"It is better to die of remorse than regret."  To counter all the pro-cancel opinions, I will state that we enjoyed three Mediterranean cruises from September to December despite coping with multiple tests and strict Italian shore excursion bubble requirements.  After seeing nothing for 2 years, we got to see everything we expected in Sicily and had an even better time in Andalucia because the Spanish requirements were much more reasonable.

For 2022, we have a Tulip Time river cruise followed by a Seine river cruise, then an ocean cruise in the Baltic in August, then an ocean cruise in the Adriatic in October.  We expect to be on all four of them [the Baltic is the most likely to be cancelled, because of Saint Petersburg – but if it goes, we'll be on it].  We'll never get back those two years of lockdown; I'm not going to willingly give up any more!

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Psoque said:

That's too bad.  I guess you did not have the option to cancel the original cruise for a refund?  Our cruise on September 2020 was cancelled and instead of letting the cruise line keep the money, we asked for a refund.  It took a long time to receive the refund, but I think it was the best decision in retrospect.  I know that most cruise lines tempted their customers with future cruise credits, but I was more interested in having the flexibility to make my booking on my own terms.

At the time (March 2020) our option was to move our money to any other trip provided by the company THAT YEAR.  So we opted for a land tour of Ireland.  By the end of summer, we found the company was offering to move people's money to any trip in 2020 OR 2021, so we contacted them and asked to move it to the April 2021 trip (same trip as original).  Then, of course, things didn't get any better, so the company automatically moved it to March of 2022.

I suppose we could have asked for our money back, but we were hoping that the trip would happen.  Now, I don't know.   

• Like 1

A couple of weeks ago we booked and paid in full for a Tauck Lyon to Lyon cruise in April with a week pre and post in Paris.   We’re so looking forward to it and the only way we don't go is if Tauck cancels.  We’re fortunate that if we lose money or have to postpone it’s not that big a deal.  We’re so looking forward to traveling and feel that if we can cope with Covid restrictions and mandates here at home we can anywhere.  We rarely travel with friends so that’s a non-issue.  I’m hearing many first-hand reports that it’s a great time to travel to Europe when the crowds are much diminished.

• Like 3

Thanks for your kind, thoughtful and interesting comments.  Coral, Notamermaid, Psoque and mapsd I read your comments almost everyday.  Our group has decided to wait and I am working hard to swallow my disappointment.  As for HostJazzbeau's counter - I am thrilled for you that you got so much travel in this fall.  I read your blog with envy.  You and belle pulled some great cards to make all that happen.

I appreciate all your good words.

Deb

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nursinadream said:

We are. A group of 7 couples have Avalon Rhine River Cruise booked.  We are 60-70's in good health from South Florida.  Final payment is around the corner and most have decided to cancel.  I am on the fence.  Anybody like to voice an opinion?

Deb

I have a March 2022 Tulip cruise booked with my elderly parents.  I booked it a year in advance so was confident that in a years time things would be much better. Well we see how that has turned out!!! My final payment is due in 2 weeks-we have decided to move it to 2023. We also have a globus tour to Scotland booked before the cruise and I was going to fly into London and taking the scenic train to Scotland. So with all that and the unknown requirements for each country/what's actually open  and how bad covid will be then-(and it will be me figuring everything out). I really don't want to have to deal with it. Vacation is supposed to be fun-not a scramble to meet requirements and worrying if one of us tests positive (even though we are triple vaccinated). We have decided to move the globus booking to a tour in Canada for September 2022-and if we can't go than will move it again.  

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mapsd said:

We had a similar experience this past August during our AMA vacation in France. Crowds were smaller and the local shops & guides couldn't have welcomed us more warmly. 

Good luck with your decision.

Paul

• Like 2

We have a Rhone River cruise booked for July 2022 & have recently started wondering if we should move it to 2023.  Thankfully we still have months until our final payment is due but if the past is any indication of the future we probably will be rescheduling it.  Having to test before flying home is a deal breaker for us (don't want to risk testing positive & having to quarantine somewhere in France).  

6 hours ago, need2travel1 said:

We have a Rhone River cruise booked for July 2022 & have recently started wondering if we should move it to 2023.  Thankfully we still have months until our final payment is due but if the past is any indication of the future we probably will be rescheduling it.  Having to test before flying home is a deal breaker for us (don't want to risk testing positive & having to quarantine somewhere in France).  

If you set the bar that high, you'll never travel again.

• Like 3

I can agree with wanting to seize the opportunity to travel and cruise.

We have done some short trips in the past year a trip to Tasmania which is a beautiful place, a trip to the Barossa and the outback and a river cruise with a small ship on the Murray which was relaxing and interesting.

As we are getting older time is of the essence and we are keen to once again leave Australia and see Europe again if we can. 

Hope we can all live our dreams again soon.

Mindful there are always risks with travel as we know. Dramas with high/low water or volcanos erupting and other issues. 

Not sure how insurance covers COVID19 related cancellations.  

• Like 1

On 12/12/2021 at 5:26 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

"It is better to die of remorse than regret."  To counter all the pro-cancel opinions, I will state that we enjoyed three Mediterranean cruises from September to December despite coping with multiple tests and strict Italian shore excursion bubble requirements.  After seeing nothing for 2 years, we got to see everything we expected in Sicily and had an even better time in Andalucia because the Spanish requirements were much more reasonable.

For 2022, we have a Tulip Time river cruise followed by a Seine river cruise, then an ocean cruise in the Baltic in August, then an ocean cruise in the Adriatic in October.  We expect to be on all four of them [the Baltic is the most likely to be cancelled, because of Saint Petersburg – but if it goes, we'll be on it].  We'll never get back those two years of lockdown; I'm not going to willingly give up any more!

I am not "pro-cancel."  My point is that it is, in my opinion, impossible to predict what the travel situation will be in the Spring of 2022, and past/current experience is only going to mislead us.  Therefore, it is not clear what course of action will result in remorse, regret, both, or neither. 

• Like 1

Covid testing and or vaccine requirements for travel are probably here to stay for quite awhile and hopefully technology will make it easier and easier to navigate the requirements.  If I can navigate the rules and protect myself and others here at home then I can do it while traveling, too. YOLO.

@need2travel1, I'm like you.  I don't want to be running around trying to find out everyday what is needed as I travel through Europe...it's enough trying to keep up with travelling in my own country.  I go on a holiday to enjoy myself, and I don't want the stress of making sure I have the right tests etc.  We started off with a cruise on the Danube for 2021, changed 2 times to 2022, then moved it to 2023.  I don't mind wearing a mask, we do that anyway, but I don't want the stress about rules changing all the time.  Or, as you say, testing positive the day you are to travel home.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Covid testing and or vaccine requirements for travel are probably here to stay for quite awhile and hopefully technology will make it easier and easier to navigate the requirements.  If I can navigate the rules and protect myself and others here at home then I can do it while traveling, too. YOLO.

It's true that technology, if applied well, can make the process of keeping track with various coronavirus-related rules with, say, a simple app.  However, as far as I can imagine, I have no idea how "technology" can prevent the consequences of the coronavirus outbreak, either in the context of the traveler testing positive before/during/after the trip, or an outbreak causing generalized disruptions to the travel and leisure industry.

Edited by Psoque
clarified the last sentence and fixed a typo

I speculate that in addition to tracing cases, booking test appts., etc technology will improve the actual tests, availability and test turnaround time.  Technology has already assisted in the development and implementation of vaccines and will play a part in developing new treatments.  Science will happen faster with technology.

We have an Avalon trip scheduled end of March as well, with 3 nights in Paris and 7 in London at the end. Final payment is coming up and we are also wondering if we should go with a re-schedule into  2023. Plan "B" is in place, just need to make a decision in the next day or so. It is a large chunk of change with the cruise and business class flights. We are worried as someone mentioned above about all the "moving pieces" . Getting stuck over there, etc.

• Like 1