Another Overboard - this Time on Carnival!

Guindalf

Seems it just keeps occurring. The only issue I have is it being reported that someone ‘fell’ off a cruise ship. For the life of me, I can’t envision how anyone can ‘fall’ off a ship without some action by the person such as climbing up on the railing, and such. And of course, being tossed over the side! But falling, which infers tripping of slipping and falling over the side? Nope.  

den

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

Unfortunately, no Cruise Lines are immune to this.  

So true, unfortunately. 

I was on the NCL Getaway a few years ago when a woman went over from the observation deck (12). We were 30 minutes outside Falmouth, Jamaica at the time and it had just got dark. According to some friends who were below, she hit several decks on the way down, including their balcony, and was most likely dead before she hit the water.

A tender was launched and after searching for a few hours, they 'recovered' her.

My friends spent most of the rest of the cruise either being interviewed or with a therapist!

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Seems it just keeps occurring. The only issue I have is it being reported that someone ‘fell’ off a cruise ship. For the life of me, I can’t envision how anyone can ‘fall’ off a ship without some action by the person such as climbing up on the railing, and such. And of course, being tossed over the side! But falling, which infers tripping of slipping and falling over the side? Nope.  

den

Right?!!! No way can you accidentally fall overboard. 

55 minutes ago, neverlaysup said:

Unless you are 8 foot tall and the railing is below your waist, there is no way to fall overboard without assistance or you climbing the railing.

Of course not. She did something stupid, or possibly a whole string of stupid things.  That's what happens when you get hundreds of irresponsible 20 and 30 somethings that don't know when to quit drinking. That will happen on every line, but the more expensive the cruise, the less likely.  

And before anyone says so...I'm well aware that this is a small subset of 20 & 30 somethings.   Plenty of stupid 40 and 50 somethings that would go overboard, but they can't get themselves high enough to actually go over the side!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Plenty of stupid 40 and 50 somethings that would go overboard, but they can't get themselves high enough to actually go over the side!

The solution to that is to cruise with Snoop Dogg, Willie Nelson or Woody Harrelson. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Dancing Shoes said:

See, Alcohol makes people stupid......she was probably drinking Tequila.  Prayers to her family and friends.

Wow…. That’s quite the assumption and besides according to the song….  Tequila makes your clothes fall off…… 

• Like 2

The news release says that sadly a woman in her 20's went overboard, presumed dead.  I am taken aback here sometimes by the presumptions and insensitivity on the situation.   I send sympathies to the girl's family.  Nobody here on CC knows what actually happened - unless Carnival has it on their cams or has interviewed witnesses.  Saying here that she must have been drunk on Tequila or stupid or whatever is beyond necessary here.  What if it was your daughter or granddaughter?  Sorry for ranting.

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 11

Reading the actual report it sates that it was 3AM, video available and she was trying to move between cabins outside.  Inebriation is the most frequent cause of people dying unexpectedly on cruise ships.  Not that posting these "events"will stop or slow inebriated people from doing dumb things on ships at sea.  I remember one case where a women was walking the railing and fell.  Another one where the jumper was doing it for "fun."  

16 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Reading the actual report it sates that it was 3AM, video available and she was trying to move between cabins outside.  Inebriation is the most frequent cause of people dying unexpectedly on cruise ships.  Not that posting these "events"will stop or slow inebriated people from doing dumb things on ships at sea.  I remember one case where a women was walking the railing and fell.  Another one where the jumper was doing it for "fun."  

Also sometimes (quite often actually) it is suicide, less frequently foul play,  or just a plain accident. Maybe alcohol or drugs contributed.  Maybe not.  Always sad.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

I am taken aback here sometimes by the presumptions and insensitivity on the situation.   

Sorry for ranting.

Excellent post !!! 

" insensitivity on the situation "--- YES --- lots of " smart asses " making assumptions.

Sympathies to her family !!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Also sometimes (quite often actually) it is suicide, less frequently foul play,  or just a plain accident. Maybe alcohol or drugs contributed.  Maybe not.  Always sad.  

Agree that it is always tragic. I don't ever intend to treat death lightly. However, unless it was intentional or fowl play,  then there is no doubt that there were contributing factors to this accident.  Abusive use of drugs and alcohol needs to be recognized and dealt with by all parties. That includes the people who are serving individuals or encountering individuals so inebriated they are a danger to themselves or others, and failing to do something. A very touchy subject with no perfect solutions. Still, as fellow humans and the cruise line bears some responsibility for trying to limit the problem, and as fellow humans we could at the very least alert security that a particular person seems to have crossed the line of thinking clearly.

It's ok to rant.  I was one who mentioned drinking can make you stupid.  I stand by that statement.  I have friends who have done stupid things while drunk on Tequila.  She did try to to go over or around the balcony divider.  

I also said prayers to her family and friends.  🌞 

Below is a link too Cruise Addicts events at sea page.  This site lists incidents at sea and in the water going back several years.   If you go through all the covid stuff a couple of things  become apparent.   A large number of deaths and overboard cases are crew suicides with the occasional passenger suicide.   Most of the incidents of people overboard are drunks or drug related and as many have said, you don't just fall overboard.  Also, there is no evidence that Carnival produces more overboard indigents, a lot are on Royal Caribbean ships also, remember Carnival and RC would normally have more because they have many more ships.   Take a look at this web site, it is really quite informative.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

5 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Below is a link too Cruise Addicts events at sea page.  This site lists incidents at sea and in the water going back several years.   If you go through all the covid stuff a couple of things  become apparent.   A large number of deaths and overboard cases are crew suicides with the occasional passenger suicide.   Most of the incidents of people overboard are drunks or drug related and as many have said, you don't just fall overboard.  Also, there is no evidence that Carnival produces more overboard indigents, a lot are on Royal Caribbean ships also, remember Carnival and RC would normally have more because they have many more ships.   Take a look at this web site, it is really quite informative.

http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

This is really interesting. It seems as if they were all adults except for the child that fell out of an open window the grandfather claimed he thought was closed.