Planning for worst case scenario - FAO Molecrochip

Cathygh

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Although false positive LFT tests are virtually unheard of. 

But P&O still did a quick PCR test at the terminal if you got a positive LFT result or at least they did in August.

I am beginning to think the best outcome for my January cruise is for P&O to cancel so I can get a refund

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NoFlyGuy said:

Some posts on the FB Iona group say there is now mandatory onboard testing even if you don't intend to go ashore. Don't know if this has just come into force or not.

Even more reason to have moved our 3rd Jan Caribbean cruise if this will now be fleet wide.

Can see lots more transfers being requested now. 

Definitely

Cant avoid tests 2 days before leaving the ship. But was planning on avoiding any others by not leaving the ship

12 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Definitely

Cant avoid tests 2 days before leaving the ship. But was planning on avoiding any others by not leaving the ship

More and more reasons for moving our Feb cruise keep surfacing. We really would like to cruise again as it's now 2.5 yes since our last one, but like you we don't fancy being offloaded into a quarantine hotel. In fact as my wife's full time carer I have no idea how they would treat us if only one of us tested positive!

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

More and more reasons for moving our Feb cruise keep surfacing. We really would like to cruise again as it's now 2.5 yes since our last one, but like you we don't fancy being offloaded into a quarantine hotel. In fact as my wife's full time carer I have no idea how they would treat us if only one of us tested positive!

That is exactly the same situation we would have, it is a big worry for everyone but especially for disabled people with carers

Michelle

• Like 5

58 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Although false positive LFT tests are virtually unheard of. 

Wowzz did you mean PCR test rather than LFT? Only clarifying because you can indeed get a false positive from a LFT test as one of my colleagues found out only last week. 

It was a bit of a strange situation as she was testing her kids before school as she does twice a week without fail and her daughter tested positive but a follow up PCR test was negative. The next day she tests her daughter with 3 different batches of LFT (you can't say we aren't thorough in the NHS! 😀) and she still tests positive with the original batch of LFT but negative with the others!

Not something I've come across too often in all the months of testing and it may just be that she had a faulty batch but just to be aware that it can happen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Wowzz did you mean PCR test rather than LFT? Only clarifying because you can indeed get a false positive from a LFT test as one of my colleagues found out only last week. 

It was a bit of a strange situation as she was testing her kids before school as she does twice a week without fail and her daughter tested positive but a follow up PCR test was negative. The next day she tests her daughter with 3 different batches of LFT (you can't say we aren't thorough in the NHS! 😀) and she still tests positive with the original batch of LFT but negative with the others!

Not something I've come across too often in all the months of testing and it may just be that she had a faulty batch but just to be aware that it can happen.

I did mean LFT.  I recall a figure of 0.1% of tests giving a false positive.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, davecttr said:

My canaries cruise leaves on the 15th January. does anyone know the last day you can arrange a FCC or whatever?

Don't know for sure but we transferred our 3rd January cruise on 16th December - so 18 days out. No problems encountered re 'days to sail'.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

In fact as my wife's full time carer I have no idea how they would treat us if only one of us tested positive!

There was a discussion about this in the Covid on Iona thread. If one of you test positive, you will both go into quarantine and depending on the view of the port authorities you could both be off loaded into a quarantine hotel. Megabear did a lot of research into who pays for the quarantine bill of the person who tests negative and it seems that insurance will not pay out but P&O will not let anyone be put of pocket. Megabear can probably explain this better than I can.

Just now, Harry Peterson said:

Unfortunately, wowzz, neither you nor I know for sure how long a contact is required for Omicron, or the safe distance, if there is one.  Nobody knows, and they don't even know the answer to that for Delta.

The one known is that Omicron is incredibly easy to transmit - and given that airborne transmission is the likely route, and that ventilation is critical, a lift doesn't seem to me to be a very safe place to be.  It's an enclosed space, often with a lot of people in it.

Harry - no disrespect,  but I have been on a cruise recently,  and you haven't.  Lifts were not crowded (never more than 5 people) everyone masked, extraction fans working full blast,  and an average trip time of 20 seconds. 

If people are going to get paranoid about going in a lift on a cruise ship, I suggest they stay at home for the indefinite future.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Harry - no disrespect,  but I have been on a cruise recently,  and you haven't.  Lifts were not crowded (never more than 5 people) everyone masked, extraction fans working full blast,  and an average trip time of 20 seconds. 

Similar experience here.  Actually I used the lifts a lot more than usual due to a flare up of sciatica and gout at the same time, as well as being on the Lido deck.  Most of the time the lifts were empty.  The busiest times seemed to be after shows in the theatre (nothing new), but even then, the most I came across in a lift was maybe 6, all giving each other some space.

Good morning from Britannia, still the happy ship I'm pleased to report!  We have now completed two ports Curacao and Aruba yesterday. Today we are at sea en route to St Vincent and this will be make or break for the protocol onboard as those going ashore tomorrow are to be tested. I will keep you informed.  I will also start a happy report on the cruise.

Just want to comment re QM2.  There are a very high number of Americans who flew in to Heathrow and were able to be in transit rather than take the PCR day 2 test.  I was asked by several contacts how to get direct from Heathrow to Southampton on public transport. Let's look at that. Take Heathrow Express to Paddington, take Bakerloo tube to Waterloo, take SWR train to Southampton, take taxi to dock. After all this take your lateral flow and board QM2.  Recipe for disaster?  

There are many on all the boards including this one who have looked for ways to avoid the tests for financial reasons.  Perhaps avoidance isn't so wise.  

Regarding the insurance issue: I reiterate anyone testing POSITIVE is fully covered by their insurance regardless of whether they are quarantined on or off the ship.  The grey area is and remains the offloading of negative tested passengers who are dealt with on a case by case basis by most UK leading insurers.  P&,O have confirmed that no one is out of pocket who has been removed.

You may not be aware but Cunard, by law, cannot insist on a level of insurance cover for US guests. Those tested positive may well be paying because of their US insurance cover level.

I have a German friend on board so no doubt he will be in touch.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Good morning from Britannia, still the happy ship I'm pleased to report!  We have now completed two ports Curacao and Aruba yesterday. Today we are at sea en route to St Vincent and this will be make or break for the protocol onboard as those going ashore tomorrow are to be tested. I will keep you informed.  I will also start a happy report on the cruise.

Just want to comment re QM2.  There are a very high number of Americans who flew in to Heathrow and were able to be in transit rather than take the PCR day 2 test.  I was asked by several contacts how to get direct from Heathrow to Southampton on public transport. Let's look at that. Take Heathrow Express to Paddington, take Bakerloo tube to Waterloo, take SWR train to Southampton, take taxi to dock. After all this take your lateral flow and board QM2.  Recipe for disaster?  

There are many on all the boards including this one who have looked for ways to avoid the tests for financial reasons.  Perhaps avoidance isn't so wise.  

Regarding the insurance issue: I reiterate anyone testing POSITIVE is fully covered by their insurance regardless of whether they are quarantined on or off the ship.  The grey area is and remains the offloading of negative tested passengers who are dealt with on a case by case basis by most UK leading insurers.  P&,O have confirmed that no one is out of pocket who has been removed.

You may not be aware but Cunard, by law, cannot insist on a level of insurance cover for US guests. Those tested positive may well be paying because of their US insurance cover level.

I have a German friend on board so no doubt he will be in touch.

Glad you’re having a great time! We are due to fly on 31st December and I’m still anxious as to whether it will go ahead… but no news is good news so keeping fingers crossed. 

One of our family friends has recently been to Florida and tested positive before his flight so has to self isolate in USA whilst the rest of his family were made to travel home as the insurance only covered for him to isolate and not the rest of the family.  This is what I’m worried about. It’s only going to be me and my husband to be… I would hate to think of being left in a foreign country on my own!

• Like 2

Had a letter from Saga this morning. As from Feb 1st next year, everyone going on a cruise has to have received a booster jab at least 14 days prior to the cruise departure date..

Will P&O adopt the same policy for all those over 18 I wonder ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JessicaB97 said:

Glad you’re having a great time! We are due to fly on 31st December and I’m still anxious as to whether it will go ahead… but no news is good news so keeping fingers crossed. 

One of our family friends has recently been to Florida and tested positive before his flight so has to self isolate in USA whilst the rest of his family were made to travel home as the insurance only covered for him to isolate and not the rest of the family.  This is what I’m worried about. It’s only going to be me and my husband to be… I would hate to think of being left in a foreign country on my own!

Different insurers will have different rules I'm afraid.  If you are on a joint policy you will at least have the same terms and conditions.  Which company are you insured with, I have a pretty extensive list of their policies on this issue and may be able to put your mind at rest a bit.  

I shouldn't stress too much on this, just concentrate on enjoying your wedding first.  Life here on the ship is peaceful and relaxed.  No one that I've seen has not followed the rules on board.  We are living towards the front of the ship on deck 8 and have only once seen anyone in the lift when we've had need to call one. The mid lifts have more traffic due to lack of stairs but again never more than 4 on the occasions we've used them.  Due to quarantine cabin location you can only use the stairs to deck 7 then have to take the lift so the observation on them is pretty accurate.

We are having a quiet day today with the spa at 11.00, followed by a laze around the pool and Cheryl Baker in The Limelight Club tonight.  

1 hour ago, JessicaB97 said:

One of our family friends has recently been to Florida and tested positive before his flight so has to self isolate in USA whilst the rest of his family were made to travel home as the insurance only covered for him to isolate and not the rest of the family.  

Can't imagine they were 'made' to fly home. They may have 'chosen' to fly home to avoid the cost implications, but I'm sure neither you nor your future partner would make that choice.

Financial cost or financial implications of failing a test on a ship aren't a concern of mine

I'm purely concerned about limiting my chances of having to quarantine anywhere other than back home in UK

I would really live a Holiday. 

But I would really hate quarantine abroad more than I would enjoy a holiday

Edited by Interestedcruisefan
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Different insurers will have different rules I'm afraid.  If you are on a joint policy you will at least have the same terms and conditions.  Which company are you insured with, I have a pretty extensive list of their policies on this issue and may be able to put your mind at rest a bit.  

I shouldn't stress too much on this, just concentrate on enjoying your wedding first.  Life here on the ship is peaceful and relaxed.  No one that I've seen has not followed the rules on board.  We are living towards the front of the ship on deck 8 and have only once seen anyone in the lift when we've had need to call one. The mid lifts have more traffic due to lack of stairs but again never more than 4 on the occasions we've used them.  Due to quarantine cabin location you can only use the stairs to deck 7 then have to take the lift so the observation on them is pretty accurate.

We are having a quiet day today with the spa at 11.00, followed by a laze around the pool and Cheryl Baker in The Limelight Club tonight.  

Ah sounds great! 

We have a joint policy with Admiral it is their Platinum Annual Trip cover which we purchased in May 2021. It says we have covid-19 cover on the paperwork but talks more about cancelling the trip prior rather than catching it abroad. 

Yeah I’m going to put the honeymoon at the back of my mind for now and concentrate on the wedding! I’m glad it’s relaxing onboard, enjoy the rest of your day 🙂 

31 minutes ago, howmuch! said:

Can't imagine they were 'made' to fly home. They may have 'chosen' to fly home to avoid the cost implications, but I'm sure neither you nor your future partner would make that choice.

Yes most probably right, it sounds a lot worse when you hear things second hand through people!

Hi Jessica.  If I recall Admiral use Allianz for their underwriters?  If that's the case Allianz are one of the very few companies who have paid out in the negative offloading cases. Appreciate you are very busy with the wedding plans - only a few days now - but have a quick look at your policy to see the name of the underwriter. 

Have you seen the document Cunard are making every passenger sign now Megabear?

I've just posted a thread on here

Very relevant to all your investigations I think?

I have a feeling other cruise lines will end up having to ask their future passengers to sign similar 

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

38 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Hi Jessica.  If I recall Admiral use Allianz for their underwriters?  If that's the case Allianz are one of the very few companies who have paid out in the negative offloading cases. Appreciate you are very busy with the wedding plans - only a few days now - but have a quick look at your policy to see the name of the underwriter. 

Thanks for that. I have checked all of the documents and strangely they don’t actually give you the name of the underwriters… it just says:

Your contract of insurance has been arranged for you by EUI Limited. Your contract of insurance has been arranged with the Authorised Insurer. EUI Limited is an insurance intermediary; it is not an insurer itself. EUI Limited is permitted to sell insurance on behalf of the Authorised Insurer and acts on your behalf in arranging your contract of insurance.

thanks

jess