Planning for worst case scenario - FAO Molecrochip

Cathygh

Hello from Britannia.  123 brave souls left Gatwick yesterday 1 hour late, about the same from Birmingham and 102 from Manchester, both running 2 hours late.  100 passengers heading to Glasgow returned to ship late last night as their plane broke down, they'd been left on the plane for 4 hours.  Told to expect less than 750 passengers for the voyage due to cancellations.  Only 3 tours ran this morning as not enough to fill them.  Anthem of Seas arrived 8.30 packed to maximum allowed apparently 80 percent, Viking Sea also full.  Speaking to shore staff told only Britannia and Azura seeing mass cancellations to date.  Three other small ships including Windstar and Silverseas also here and port busy.  This is Britannia poolside 10.20am

IMG20211218090529.jpg

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Hello from Britannia.  123 brave souls left Gatwick yesterday 1 hour late, about the same from Birmingham and 102 from Manchester, both running 2 hours late.  100 passengers heading to Glasgow returned to ship late last night as their plane broke down, they'd been left on the plane for 4 hours.  Told to expect less than 750 passengers for the voyage due to cancellations.  Only 3 tours ran this morning as not enough to fill them.  Anthem of Seas arrived 8.30 packed to maximum allowed apparently 80 percent, Viking Sea also full.  Speaking to shore staff told only Britannia and Azura seeing mass cancellations to date.  Three other small ships including Windstar and Silverseas also here and port busy.  

I wonder if the other ship are so full because they have mainly US passengers. I suppose covid is spreading so fast here in the UK that travellers ahve had to cancel because of it. Such a shame for P&O but I do hope you have a fantastic cruise and a great Christmas.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cathygh said:

I wonder if the other ship are so full because they have mainly US passengers. I suppose covid is spreading so fast here in the UK that travellers ahve had to cancel because of it. Such a shame for P&O but I do hope you have a fantastic cruise and a great Christmas.

Yes, mainly Americans. Spoke to a few who said COVID numbers high at home but they're fed up and want as normal a life as possible.  One said he thought our government was over egging the pudding which I thought was quite funny. Just different attitudes to risk I think.  All those on board I've spoken to aren't concerned at all and a lot booked very late.  Early bookers are sparse from what I can gather. Quite a mixture of oldies and mid 30's. Obviously no families but still a few groups.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cathygh said:

Numbers in the USA yesterday were appalling.  And only 44% fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

I saw a tweet which said the US CDC (Centre for Disease Control, I think) is investigating 40, yes 40, ships

Aargh

Megabear - have the loveliest holiday and safe and uneventful journey back in due course

Edited by Eddie99
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes, mainly Americans. Spoke to a few who said COVID numbers high at home but they're fed up and want as normal a life as possible.  One said he thought our government was over egging the pudding which I thought was quite funny. Just different attitudes to risk I think.  All those on board I've spoken to aren't concerned at all and a lot booked very late.  Early bookers are sparse from what I can gather. Quite a mixture of oldies and mid 30's. Obviously no families but still a few groups.

Princess cruises in the Caribbean are operating at only 50% or so capacity. I seem to remember reading that RCL  have a less strict policy regarding testing etc, but stand to be corrected. 

42 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Numbers in the USA yesterday were appalling.  And only 44% fully vaccinated.

Don't know where you get that figure.  The latest official number is 62% have been vaccinated twice.

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/covid-vaccine-tracker-states/

Edited by wowzz

24 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Princess cruises in the Caribbean are operating at only 50% or so capacity. I seem to remember reading that RCL  have a less strict policy regarding testing etc, but stand to be corrected. 

Just checked- RCL require pax to be fully vaccinated, but Princess also require a negative test 48 hours prior to boarding, so much more stringent. 

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Hello from Britannia.  123 brave souls left Gatwick yesterday 1 hour late, about the same from Birmingham and 102 from Manchester, both running 2 hours late.  100 passengers heading to Glasgow returned to ship late last night as their plane broke down, they'd been left on the plane for 4 hours.  Told to expect less than 750 passengers for the voyage due to cancellations.  Only 3 tours ran this morning as not enough to fill them.  Anthem of Seas arrived 8.30 packed to maximum allowed apparently 80 percent, Viking Sea also full.  Speaking to shore staff told only Britannia and Azura seeing mass cancellations to date.  Three other small ships including Windstar and Silverseas also here and port busy.  This is Britannia poolside 10.20am

IMG20211218090529.jpg

Get the cocktails in!

Keep the updates coming if you can

Closest thing to being there! 

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/

Not good reading on here. Whistleblowers saying the medical staff on board the Miami based cruise ships aren't equipped to cope with the number of cases on board  some of the ships even now 

And it's only going to get worse 

The same US cruisers who like to turn a blind eye to covid will be the first to sue

Royal Caribbean got some serious problems happening on their ships right now reading some of the tweets from passengers and disembarked passengers families

Edited by Interestedcruisefan

10 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Not good reading on here. Whistleblowers saying the medical staff on board the Miami based cruise ships aren't equipped to cope with the number of cases on board  some of the ships even now 

The same US cruisers who like to turn a blind eye to covid will be the first to sue

That's a very interesting story you've linked to there.  If the reports are accurate we could well be in for a rerun of pretty much what happened last time on cruise ships - with the difference that this time the cruise companies have the earlier knowledge.  An absolute field day for the lawyers!

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That's a very interesting story you've linked to there.  If the reports are accurate we could well be in for a rerun of pretty much what happened last time on cruise ships - with the difference that this time the cruise companies have the earlier knowledge.  An absolute field day for the lawyers!

That story certainly gets worse and worse the further you read into it

4 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

IMG20211218090529.jpg

Hope it all goes well and that you have a lovely time 

47 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Royal Caribbean got some serious problems happening on their ships right now reading some of the tweets from passengers and disembarked passengers families

Cruise Law tends to have an anti cruise company agenda. However, I’ve felt for a while that the cruise companies are not being transparent about Covid on the ships. 

My friends are on the QM2 Christmas cruise. They sailed from Southampton on Monday, and I’m hopeful that the Atlantic crossing will go without a hitch. But they have more passengers boarding in New York, so the original bubble will be breached. Just hoping for their sake there’s no issues. 

6 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Cruise Law tends to have an anti cruise company agenda. However, I’ve felt for a while that the cruise companies are not being transparent about Covid on the ships. 

My friends are on the QM2 Christmas cruise. They sailed from Southampton on Monday, and I’m hopeful that the Atlantic crossing will go without a hitch. But they have more passengers boarding in New York, so the original bubble will be breached. Just hoping for their sake there’s no issues. 

They do have an anti cruise agenda for sure

But they are a goto place to get first hand reports from unhappy crew and passengers

You can tell Connor is a genuine passenger if you follow his twitter! And it's not a good story and clearly developing as we speak

7 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

They do have an anti cruise agenda for sure

But as a result they get first hand reports from crew and passengers

You can tell Connor is a genuine passenger or ex passenger now I should say if you follow his twitter!

Just had a look at Connor. It looks like they’ve been offloaded into a Miami hotel, and he’s supplied photos, so it’s certainly looks real enough 

12 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Just had a look at Connor. It looks like they’ve been offloaded into a Miami hotel, and he’s supplied photos, so it’s certainly looks real enough 

Connor not offloaded yet as far as I can tell -  but 5 of his party have been and he's posted photos of them and others offloaded waiting for rooms at quarantine hotel Holiday Inn Miami ( they were initially told they were heading to Hilton Miami)

His main complaint is the ship is not testing others on board to try and hide the problem despite knowing they have a significant outbreak etc

He gives too much detail to be making it all up

And he's posted and linked all his tweets  to all the major US news channels!  He's certainly  not going to lie down quietly !

Definitely a developing story

• Like 1

Caution: I've only read page 1 in full but as the post is aimed at me, I have these comments:

• A full outbreak plan is in place. This has certain levels depending upon the severity of outbreak.
  • Actions taken depend upon the relevant location of the ship, next port, number of days back to Southampton/Barbados.
  • Planning has been done and actions now in place for handling Omicron/new variance outbreak. This scenario was well expected.
  • Currently business as usual. Outbreaks on board are low compared to on shore. No onboard identification of variant - just positive or negative.
  • Highly transmissible but mild is more akin to norovirus/flu/colds and very easily handled on a cruise ship.
  • Cruise ships struggle with severe cases, and the vaccination requirement means people largely susceptible to these outbreaks don't normally get onto the ship.
  • Cruising falls into its own category, its not travel, hospitality, aviation - it is cruising. There are cruise specific tweaks to government rules (e.g. PLF variances)  so don't rely on other non-cruise announcements until confirmed by Carnival/P&O etc.
  • Expect port cancellations, maybe the odd cruise being cancelled but don't expect the schedule to be ripped up. No lay-up or staycation plans.
  • Now passengers and crew vaccinated the approach is different.
  • As part of restart plans, countries will provide medical assistance to cruise ships if necessary, even if borders are closed.
  • If really concerned, I believe cruise lines considering cases to move cruise date on case by case basis.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Catching up:

Regarding massive outbreaks, I believe that these are on RCI ships as various posters have said and not Carnival ships. I'm not saying there aren't outbreaks but not on that scale.

Carnival Corp ships are carrying at least double the medical centre crew to normal. This obviously depends on the size of the ship, but you could be talking up to 4 doctors, 8 nurses plus further staff to facilitate mass testing.

As said before, P&O ships carry enough supplies to undertake multiple days of mass testing. Anyone refusing testing in such scenario will be de-facto treated as a positive case, I believe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Catching up:

Regarding massive outbreaks, I believe that these are on RCI ships as various posters have said and not Carnival ships. I'm not saying there aren't outbreaks but not on that scale.

Carnival Corp ships are carrying at least double the medical centre crew to normal. This obviously depends on the size of the ship, but you could be talking up to 4 doctors, 8 nurses plus further staff to facilitate mass testing.

As said before, P&O ships carry enough supplies to undertake multiple days of mass testing. Anyone refusing testing in such scenario will be de-facto treated as a positive case, I believe.

And, as I posted previously,  RCL have been lax with testing prior to boarding.  Carnival lines have a far more robust testing policy.

1 minute ago, molecrochip said:

In the US. They were very good in the UK.

Agreed. RCL obviously knew their target market in the US would not accept the testing regime imposed by Carnival.

Says a great deal about RCL - yet another reason to avoid cruising with them.