Are Carnival buffets self-serve?

Elkins45

33 minutes ago, Elkins45 said:

I’m on the Glory right now and they aren’t even trying to get people to wash or sanitize their hands. I didn’t even see hand sanitizer stations available, but I’ll look again when I go for breakfast.

MSC and Celebrity are both doing a better job of trying to keep people healthy IMO, even if it’s only an illusion.

I was on the Glory for the 14 nighter that just ended last Sunday.

1)  No staff in front of food venues to suggest hand washing/sanitize

2)  There are several ways to get into the buffet, only the front center had the sanitizer station, side and rear entrances didn't have any

3)  Occasionally staff posted around the ship would say "mask up", maskless people treated it like a suggestion, simply ignored them and the staff did nothing

4)  Only staff who generally put up any kind of fight were the pitbosses at table games, however at the time (I understand they're going no smoking) if you had even an UNlit cigarette or cigar in your mouth they'd let it slide; I also witnessed a maskless person betting $100/hand on a $6 BJ table and the pitbosses looked the other way while telling the low rollers to pull up their masks

On 12/17/2021 at 11:27 AM, pinto18 said:

This is why I prefer to serve myself. I usually get a salad at lunch and Id hate to be saying..Give me 10 garbanzo beans, and half a spoon of carrots, and two slices of tomato and....

I’m willing to make a small sacrifice of asking someone to give me less food in exchange for minimizing food borne illnesses.

To everyone, not only am I a MD, but I’m also an epidemiologist. Good luck staying healthy. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DrSea said:

I’m willing to make a small sacrifice of asking someone to give me less food in exchange for minimizing food borne illnesses.

To everyone, not only am I a MD, but I’m also an epidemiologist. Good luck staying healthy. 

I've done a fairly good job of staying healthy my entire life and that includes eating at buffets. One's own personal hygiene is entirely within one's control and goes a long way.

Pre-Covid, Holland America had instituted no self serve in the Lido and it cut down on the # of Neuro outbreaks.  Ideally I like to serve myself but observing the hygiene habits (or lack thereof) of my fellow cruisers, I think having staff serve us is a smart move.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

Aren't most land restaurants back to normal self-serve buffets as well? I know the ones I've been to since April have been back to normal. 

Depends on where you live.

6 hours ago, Roz said:

Pre-Covid, Holland America had instituted no self serve in the Lido and it cut down on the # of Neuro outbreaks.  Ideally I like to serve myself but observing the hygiene habits (or lack thereof) of my fellow cruisers, I think having staff serve us is a smart move.

Agreed. 

i have seen very drunk people, children, and just regular adults grab stuff with their hands on all the mainstream cruise lines. That’s how Noro is spread. In my line of work, I see people during their worst. And I know not everyone washes their hands after they go #2. 

• Like 1

I just love it when I read people's posts about never getting sick eating at the buffet. Maybe you just have been lucky, but that doesn't mean it won't, or can't happen. It's like people saying I've never been sick a day in my life, so I won't get sick in the future.

With this new virus, so easy to be spread, wouldn't one think better to err on the side of caution?

Cheers

Len

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DrSea said:

Agreed. 

i have seen very drunk people, children, and just regular adults grab stuff with their hands on all the mainstream cruise lines. That’s how Noro is spread. In my line of work, I see people during their worst. And I know not everyone washes their hands after they go #2. 

The sad part is. Some (but not all) of those 'adults you allude too work for the eating establishment. I can only speak of one rather disturbing occasion. My wife and I were driving I75S towhen we stoped about 9 a.m. at a well known nationwide food chain for breakfast. The line for seating wasn't long about 7-8 people so I told my wife I was going to visit the 'little boys room'. I entered and as I finished my business  I realized I wasn't alone because of the sounds and odor emitting from one of the stalls. I had started washing my hands when the said stall door opened and a man wearing 'kitchen whites, a slightly soiled bibb apron and cap (all w/the name of this establishment on them) and a name tag. We didn't make eye contact but as I was finishing washing my hands, I stepped aside as not to block the sink for him and got a paper towel. He seemed not to notice, straightened his apron and turned and left. To say the least, I was stunned. Upon my exit, I remembered the man's name and decided to go to the server's podium and ask to speak to the kitchen supervisor. One of the waitress stepped into the back and a older woman appeared and listened as I explained the situation, giving her the name and adding perhaps he 'forgot'. She said she'd check and left. After about brief wait, she returned and said that 'Ken' said he did wash his hands and whoever said he didn't must have entered the restroom AS he was leaving and thought he hadn't and were mistaken. I knew there was a chance it'd come down too my word against his BUT I had to chance it.

Mac

• Like 1

The good news is that you can eat every single meal on a Carnival cruise without ever visiting the buffet.  I managed to do it on a 14-day repositioning. And it's not because of the sanitation issue; I prefer the MDR and other venues.

If you are not comfortable visiting the buffet, don't do it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

I just love it when I read people's posts about never getting sick eating at the buffet. Maybe you just have been lucky, but that doesn't mean it won't, or can't happen. It's like people saying I've never been sick a day in my life, so I won't get sick in the future.

With this new virus, so easy to be spread, wouldn't one think better to err on the side of caution?

Cheers

Len

to me it's like when people say that they never get the flu shot because they never get the flu.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/16/2021 at 6:59 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Just got off the Glory, was a woman who was served some bacon, she asked for more and was given more then asked for more a second time and was politely told to eat what's on her plate then come and they would give her more.

Rude AF

On 12/19/2021 at 4:48 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

I was on the Glory for the 14 nighter that just ended last Sunday.

1)  No staff in front of food venues to suggest hand washing/sanitize

2)  There are several ways to get into the buffet, only the front center had the sanitizer station, side and rear entrances didn't have any

3)  Occasionally staff posted around the ship would say "mask up", maskless people treated it like a suggestion, simply ignored them and the staff did nothing

4)  Only staff who generally put up any kind of fight were the pitbosses at table games, however at the time (I understand they're going no smoking) if you had even an UNlit cigarette or cigar in your mouth they'd let it slide; I also witnessed a maskless person betting $100/hand on a $6 BJ table and the pitbosses looked the other way while telling the low rollers to pull up their masks

Same situation on the Radiance last week.  There was a sink at the entrance to the buffet but no one was asked to use it. On our MSC Cruise in November everyone was asked to wash up upon entering the buffet.  At the MDR everyone was sanitized upon entry.  Well trained crew.  Well run cruise line. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

Same situation on the Radiance last week.  There was a sink at the entrance to the buffet but no one was asked to use it. On our MSC Cruise in November everyone was asked to wash up upon entering the buffet.  At the MDR everyone was sanitized upon entry.  Well trained crew.  Well run cruise line. 

Well, that is a view.  I would not take kindly to be asked to sanitize.  Last I heard, MSC is leading the way in Covid, non-sanitizing must be breaking thru…..

25 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

Yes the buffets are self service.  Which is probably how the wife and I got noro on the Radiance last week. Wife was violently ill,  me not as bad.  

sorry. I am on the radiance in 6 days. Hopefully they clean up well.

10 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Well, that is a view.  I would not take kindly to be asked to sanitize.  Last I heard, MSC is leading the way in Covid, non-sanitizing must be breaking thru…..

What is wrong with being asked to wash your hands before you eat?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Old Fart Cruisers said:

You shouldn't have to be asked. . . . 

I have done 50 cruises and 4 since covid, nobody has to tell me anything.  I follow the rules, the rules keep everyone cruising.  Any other advice or counsel?

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DrSea said:

sorry. I am on the radiance in 6 days. Hopefully they clean up well.

It was the first cruise since the refurb and confusion reigned supreme.  Even the barmaid said "it's the first cruise, we don't know what we're doing".  The free food was beyond awful.  The specialty restaurants were very good.  They are probably staffed by experienced crew.  But the MRD and buffet were awful.  I just kept telling myself, "but it was cheap".  I could go on but why bother?   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Giantfan13 said:

Cheers

Len

That's one of the reasons that I got vaccinated. 

• Like 3