I wonder if Celebrity will ever offer a world cruise?

lexmiller

Most of the small luxury lines offer world cruise itineraries - such as Regent Seven Seas, Oceania, Viking, Silversea and Azamara (Azamara’s itinerary is particularly attractive IMHO). But now, even Royal Caribbean and Princess are offering world cruises. My hope is that now that Celebrity is investing heavily in the Edge class of ships, meaning extra ships for more traditional itineraries dedicated to specific geographical locations, that one of the Millennium class ships might be dedicated to a world cruise itinerary, starting in 2024.  You can of course book as many or as few of the legs as you want, so you don’t have to be “all in”, but how glorious for those that can do the full itinerary!  It’s a very appealing concept, in my opinion.  Yes, we could book with one of these other lines, but we love Celebrity and would like to stay “in house” so to speak.  I just wanted to throw this idea out there as a fun talking point (and hopefully Celebrity reps that read Cruise Critic might see that there is interest!).

That’s why we left Celebrity.  Their itinerary is the same old same old.  The 52 nights is more of a repositioning cruise and don’t see that happening again.  I do wish there will be world cruises in the future so that we can return back  to Celebrity.

• Like 1

I do know that RCCL has announced one.  I didn't know about Princess.  What is a World Cruise anyway?  A series of cruises worldwide on a single ship stopping at different ports instead of repeating ports.  Many passengers take one-way itineraries of this cruise probably without even knowing it is part of a World Cruise.  For fun, you can actually craft your own World Cruise but it might be on different ships and cruise lines.  Maybe not easy for larger ships and cruise lines to accomplish now in the pandemic age. What if in the middle of the World Cruise you are exposed to COVID and test positive and you are put off the ship in a faraway land?   

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

We must be looking at different itineraries.  25 ports, 11 countries.  

I do also think it is a repo.  It starts in Rome and ends in Sydney, mid Dec 2023 and then for the first half of 2024 she is in South Pacific, Australia, NZ, Tasmania etc.

10 minutes ago, tvlgoddess said:

If my memory serves me correctly, the 52 night repo from Rome to Sydney was on the Edge to leave the ship Down Under for the 2023-24 winter season sailing 6 - 15 days from Sydney and Auckland.

You are correct.  When I mentioned the 52 N cruise I was just saying that this is the longest that they have offered, not that it was a world cruise nor is it advertised as a world cruise.  

Most of the ‘World’ cruises aren’t really that or even close to a circumnavigation. Some go from the US West or East Coast to the UK westward. Others end in various Asian ports of call or the US but don’t start and end that close.

. Not questioning it, just pointing out that if the Edge is going from Rome to Sydney, that’d be very interesting, and yup it’s pretty much a repositioning as is most of the others. 

myself, not ready for that long of an experience in one gulp. I’d break them up too. Now if I could cruise across the Indian Ocean from India to SE Asia, that would get me all the way around….in numerous ships (some gray and underway) and times (since the late 60’s)! 

den

14 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Most of the ‘World’ cruises aren’t really that or even close to a circumnavigation. Some go from the US West or East Coast to the UK westward. Others end in various Asian ports of call or the US but don’t start and end that close.

. Not questioning it, just pointing out that if the Edge is going from Rome to Sydney, that’d be very interesting, and yup it’s pretty much a repositioning as is most of the others. 

myself, not ready for that long of an experience in one gulp. I’d break them up too. Now if I could cruise across the Indian Ocean from India to SE Asia, that would get me all the way around….in numerous ships (some gray and underway) and times (since the late 60’s)! 

den

Actually, check out just for instance, Azamara's world cruise, Holland America and Royal Caribbean's itinerary - true world circumnavigations.  Though to your point, the Silversea World Cruise 2024 is more of a Pacific Rim cruise.  In particular, I've done a lot of research into Azamara's and the world cruise aspect is made much of - definitely not just segments stuck together, as far as the benefits, onboard experience and perks of booking the entire journey......Royal Caribbean's "Ultimate World Cruise" is impressive - all 7 continents!  Anyway, I am holding out hope that a true world cruise itinerary, like other lines are doing - Holland America, Princess, Royal Caribbean - not to mention the more obvious small luxury lines - that Celebrity will offer this on one of the Millennium class ships, within the next few years.   Yes, of course, we can switch lines but we love the overall Celebrity experience, the right blend for us.

• Like 1