Flying into FLL- cruise out of Miami- need success stories so I don't go crazy

allisonb22

I know that you're not supposed to fly in the day of sailing, etc. however, we didn't really have an option. This is a last min cruise we are booking to join friends who are on the sailing. With the last min decision, my boyfriend can't get the day before off to fly in a day early. I'm just looking for anyone who's had success flying in to FLL and making it to the terminal on time in Miami. Our flight lands at 11:40 am in FLL. I'm thinking an uber to the port from the airport is our best bet. The itinerary says sail away is at 4:30 so my guess is we need to be on board before 3???

Give me some hope this isn't a crazy stupid decision.... we got roundtrip airfare from CT to FLL for less than $100 pp so i'm praying it works out....

8 minutes ago, allisonb22 said:

Give me some hope this isn't a crazy stupid decision.... we got roundtrip airfare from CT to FLL for less than $100 pp so i'm praying it works out....

Just done it in Nov. We used SAS $15/person. Will use again in Feb and May 2022.

http://www.ridesas.com/sasreserve.php

Some use Uber/Lift. Taxi very expensive. 

How did you get the cheap airfare?

Stay Safe! 

Edited by Oxo
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, allisonb22 said:

I know that you're not supposed to fly in the day of sailing, etc. however, we didn't really have an option. This is a last min cruise we are booking to join friends who are on the sailing. With the last min decision, my boyfriend can't get the day before off to fly in a day early. I'm just looking for anyone who's had success flying in to FLL and making it to the terminal on time in Miami. Our flight lands at 11:40 am in FLL. I'm thinking an uber to the port from the airport is our best bet. The itinerary says sail away is at 4:30 so my guess is we need to be on board before 3???

Is this a direct flight I hope?  Uber from ft Lauderdale to port of Miami is only about 35-40 min. Not a problem if flight is on time, but IF is the problem. If there is a delay it could be an issue. If there is a delay and u get in a little late and have to pick up baggage it becomes scary. I would look into even taking the latest flight out day before. Weather or anything can cause a delay 

11 minutes ago, Oxo said:

Just done it in Nov. We used SAS $15/person. Will use again in Feb and May 2022.

http://www.ridesas.com/sasreserve.php

Some use Uber/Lift. Taxi very expensive. 

Stay Safe! 

oh this is wonderful, thank you!!!! will definitely use this service instead of uber. 

we have a new airport & airline doing lots of direct flights from ct to many spots in florida. it is called Avelo and flies out of New Haven CT. with today's promo it was $90 round trip pp including seat upgrades.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, renza said:

Is this a direct flight I hope?  Uber from ft Lauderdale to port of Miami is only about 35-40 min. Not a problem if flight is on time, but IF is the problem. If there is a delay it could be an issue. If there is a delay and u get in a little late and have to pick up baggage it becomes scary. I would look into even taking the latest flight out day before. Weather or anything can cause a delay 

yes a direct flight. you are right, the problem is the airline we are using only has an early morning flight the day before. so kind of out of the question unless we switch airlines which would be much more expensive and kind of defeat the purpose of this cheap last min cruise.. but thank you for the insight!

3 minutes ago, twangster said:

Short cruise?  Can you pack everything in a carry on?  No checked baggage can help since no waiting for luggage delivery in FLL.  

Yes- only 3 nights. That is what I'm thinking also! for peace of mind I'd love to go in a day early but it just doesn't seem feasible with work schedules.

46 minutes ago, allisonb22 said:

I know that you're not supposed to fly in the day of sailing

Literally millions of cruisers each year fly in the day of sailing. While it's always best to fly in a day (or more) before, don't let anyone convince you it's necessary. 

• Like 2

I've done it and succeeded but I've also failed when flying in the same day in Galveston.  Lightning storms closed their airport and backed everything up.  Flight cancelled, no seats until next day.  

I hope it works out for you, just be aware all kinds of stuff happens unexpectedly.  My travel insurance covered my losses but I had a great price on the cruise and hated to miss it. 

• Like 1

Buy insurance.  Take the trip.  Hope it works out.  That’s cheap airfare. 
Do carry on only for a short cruise.  Weather would be my biggest worry.  Is it the first flight of the day out of your airport? Non stop?  Otherwise you have to worry about weather everywhere.

We’ve done it the day of only twice in 40 cruises.  First time we were dumb and didn’t know better.  Second time it was a last minute flight change for medical reasons and it was either try it or not go.  We boarded about an hour before the cut off.  We got lucky.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Is it the first flight of the day out of your airport? Non stop?  Otherwise you have to worry about weather everywhere.

yes first flight of the day out of the airport. and nonstop from CT --> FLL 

keeping our fingers crossed!!  

11 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Buy insurance.  Take the trip.  Hope it works out.  That’s cheap airfare.

that is why it makes sense to take the trip for me. if airfare was more expensive i'd have to really think about it. but under $100 pp roundtrip is a steal. i will look into buying trip insurance. thanks so much!

I always take a nonstop flight  the day of the cruise , except for one time .

But i fly into the city of the cruise and take a cab to the dock.

There are lots of people on the flight doing the same thing.

I know its safer to fly in the day before but i am willing to take the risk.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, allisonb22 said:

yes a direct flight. you are right, the problem is the airline we are using only has an early morning flight the day before. so kind of out of the question unless we switch airlines which would be much more expensive and kind of defeat the purpose of this cheap last min cruise.. but thank you for the insight!

Well direct flight is great. Just buy insurance and you should be ok. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 2:19 PM, irishgal432 said:

Sas transportation that was mentioned in the above comments.  They do a shuttle from FLL to Mia and back.  SAS Transport Quality Shuttle Service at Affordable Prices (ridesas.com)  They use the express lanes going down to MIA as well.

oh awesome!! thank you. i have already reserved it for us and our travel partners :)

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 2:52 PM, mek said:

It's nothing I would do, but if I did getting insurance would be a priority.

Good luck!

do you have any recommendations for a good travel insurance? or tips on what to look for in a policy that would protect us if weather got in the way, flight delayed, etc? there is an overwhelming amount of policies and want to make sure i am getting the right kind of coverage!

On 12/16/2021 at 2:58 PM, Oxo said:

Stay Safe!

we are from CT and there is a new airline flying out of a small airport in New Haven CT. the airline is avelo and they offer super cheap direct flights from CT --> many destinations in florida. our original price was about $102 pp round trip but they had a promo last week for $30 off. scored it for $90 pp round trip since we upgraded to extra legroom seats (my boyfriend is 6'6"!)

On 12/16/2021 at 5:36 PM, Oxo said:

What did Uber charge?

I just took a Lyft from Miami cruise port to FLL. We got off the ship at 7:30. At that time there were only pre-arranged shuttles which I did not have. We got to FLL at 8:35. It was $38 plus tip. That being said, it was a weekend so the surge wasn't in effect. The week (weekday) before I had wanted to go to Walmart between B2B. It was $100 one way to go the 8 miles. I got Target delivery instead.