Boarding Time?

LadyBerard

I have not cruised on Holland for quite a number of years.  When/How do you receive your boarding time?  We cruise in March on the Rotterdam.  I have completed our check-in.  I didn't see anything regarding boarding time on there.  Forgive my ignorance in this matter.  Last time we cruised Holland was on the Noordam out of NY many moons ago.  I do not recall them having boarding times.  I'm assuming that all this is new due to covid and Holland trying to cut down on masses of people showing up at 11:30 a.m. or so to get that all important first lunch.  😉

Your boarding time, if it's been assigned, should be on your boarding pass.  As many have noted on this forum, the initial time you're assigned will probably change a number of times, so it's best to keep checking, even as close as three days out from sailing.  Hope this answers your question.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

I have not cruised on Holland for quite a number of years.  When/How do you receive your boarding time?  We cruise in March on the Rotterdam.  I have completed our check-in.  I didn't see anything regarding boarding time on there.  Forgive my ignorance in this matter.  Last time we cruised Holland was on the Noordam out of NY many moons ago.  I do not recall them having boarding times.  I'm assuming that all this is new due to covid and Holland trying to cut down on masses of people showing up at 11:30 a.m. or so to get that all important first lunch.  😉

Open you boarding pass as if to print. And you will see the time. Actually, boarding doesn’t start until 1:20 PM with group A. And I am not sure it actually HAL staff.

Edited by Storylady

I believe that boarding times will vary by ports and ships. We were on the Koningsdam last week. Our initial boarding time was Group B at 1:20 pm. A few days later we were moved to Group A 1:00 pm and that is where it stayed. Next month we are on the Rotterdam. With this sailing our initial boarding time is Group D at 1:00 pm. That implies that boarding will begin at 12:00 pm as each group is 20 minutes long for 245 +/- passengers.

• Like 1

Back in the summer when cruising began again on HAL someone posted here that boarding times are assigned 14, 7, and 3 days (if I remember correctly) from departure. It was done by computer and times did change each time. In my case on the NA, my times were 12 noon, 12:30 and 12:30. It appears to be quite a random thing so I would expect changes and print the boarding pass as close to your departure as you can. Your assumption as to the reason is correct.

3 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Back in the summer when cruising began again on HAL someone posted here that boarding times are assigned 14, 7, and 3 days (if I remember correctly) from departure. It was done by computer and times did change each time. In my case on the NA, my times were 12 noon, 12:30 and 12:30. It appears to be quite a random thing so I would expect changes and print the boarding pass as close to your departure as you can. Your assumption as to the reason is correct.

We received our boarding time about 45 days prior to embarq (Ft. Lauderdale departure in mid-January). We're down to 25 now. Waiting to see if boarding time will change.

We board FLL on the 30th.  We had a boarding time on our boarding pass the day it came up.  But our friends boarding time was not on theirs.  They finally got a notice last week that it had been added.  We got a notice the same day that our time had changed.  

All to say...you'll know when you know! 

19 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It does open up earlier in Fort Lauderdale from the sound of it.

You are correct. Check-in is at 12:00 for group A. I just checked a future boarding. I suspect just like in San Diego, some people arriving early might be allowed. 

5 hours ago, Storylady said:

You are correct. Check-in is at 12:00 for group A. I just checked a future boarding. I suspect just like in San Diego, some people arriving early might be allowed. 

There problem is that so many don’t care and just show up whenever.  If hal doesn’t want to enforce it they should do away with it.

8 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

There problem is that so many don’t care and just show up whenever.  If hal doesn’t want to enforce it they should do away with it.

They certainly enforced it when we boarded in SD. They definitely turned people away. Probably not the real early birds, but those who had times after the boarding process had began. We were told everyone showed up at the same time. Also, someone who worked for the SD port mentioned that our boarding was delayed due to passengers not disembarking when they were suppose to from the Disney Wonder. They didn’t get off until 11:30 AM.

All ships in port have have to be cleared of passengers before anyone can embark the ship. I remember one fiasco in Vancouver when an NCL ship wasn’t properly cleared. US Customs shut the embarkation down. The line was so long that it was worse than a line at Disneyland. Eventually, it ended out of the terminal and down the street to the convention center. All the Vancouver TV stations were there to film the mess.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Storylady said:

They certainly enforced it when we boarded in SD. They definitely turned people away. Probably not the real early birds, but those who had times after the boarding process had began. We were told everyone showed up at the same time. Also, someone who worked for the SD port mentioned that our boarding was delayed due to passengers not disembarking when they were suppose to from the Disney Wonder. They didn’t get off until 11:30 AM.

All ships in port have have to be cleared of passengers before anyone can embark the ship. I remember one fiasco in Vancouver when an NCL ship wasn’t properly cleared. US Customs shut the embarkation down. The line was so long that it was worse than a line at Disneyland. Eventually, it ended out of the terminal and down the street to the convention center. All the Vancouver TV stations were there to film the mess.

Yes, I do understand the process.  I’ve probably spent close to 1 1/2 years actual sailing days on ships.  I really want to believe that they are enforcing it regularly and not just the days when there are 2 ships.  When I suggested that it should be enforced the person that posts on cruise critic said they are not police.  He was complaining about people not showing up at their time as I recall.  Call me foolish but if you are not will to enforce it some people will act like babies and show up because they are entitled to do so.

We do have a "Penalty Box" to use if necessary.  There are tape lines and signs deployed for Groups A, B, C, etc.(1:00, 1:20; 1:40 noted, too).... every sailing.  

The reality is that we have only had 1,000 - 1,200 on any recent ship day....50% capacity or less.

We are in the Guest Service industry, and our "job" is to promote the cruise line product by offering 'beyond expectations' experiences.  

If it is safe to do so, we have adequate staff in place, and the previous cruise guests have cleared out according to CDC requirement...we will allow for early entry to the terminal.

However; Holland America Line, Disney Cruise Line, and Celebrity Cruises do not encourage guests to arrive prior to their scheduled times.  

David

• Like 2

Well they don’t “encourage” but they aren’t “discouraging “ it either.  Some people clearly only care about themselves and will board whenever they feel like it because they paid for their vacation.  The rest of us won ours, I guess.  These are covid times.  I think it’s important to have distancing.  Maybe that just a Canadian thing because it seems to have been far more locked down than some of the USA.  Heck you all don’t even need masks in San Diego.  I can’t remember being anywhere without a mask for almost 2 years.

• Like 1

Everyone on Port of San Diego property is required to wear a mask once in the terminal.  Several staff are there to inform, and remind as you enter the facility.... even before you drop off luggage outside!

The only "encouragement" to arrive early at this port is on social media.....CC, Facebook, Instagram, etc.

Never has any cruise line suggested that guests arrive prior to their allotted time.

Speed limits are posted on the freeways.....yet the majority of drivers prefer to ignore them, too.

I completely understand your perspective and I can't argue with your view on social distancing... nor what you've witnessed.  

I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

David

• Like 2

We had 2:00 boarding time. Breezed through, onboard by 2:20. Luggage arrived before we made it to the stateroom. Play by the rules and have a wonderful time. The staff on the Nieuw Statendam have been fantastic.

• Like 3

We arrived late for our boarding time. Definitely not on purpose. We traveled to SD by train and the milk run train broke down (coaster) so we arrived late due to picking up coaster passengers. It seemed like every one else arrived at the same time as it was an extremely long line. But as @ DAllenTCY has explained we had the Disney Wonder in port, no one could board until both cruise ships had zero count. Plus Disney Wonder was doing Covid testing. Friends took an hour to board and we took 1.5 hours to board. As annoying as it was, it was great to be back sailing. And it is definitely a tale to tell. Same boarding experience in Vancouver due to an NCL ship. These things happen and we didn’t see anyone unhappy. We were told of people who arrived before their boarding time and were turned away. I suspect if there is a small group, they won’t enforce the rules, but if the line is long, passengers will be made to wait until it is their turn.

• Like 2

We boarded Nieuw Statendam at PEV last Sunday.  We had Group A at 12:00pm and arrived about 11:45am.  Outside was pretty quiet and the security and check-in areas had no lines.  Once we rounded the counter the terminal was packed with people waiting to board!  It was bizarre.  I overheard the staff complaining about all the people who had arrived well before their assigned times.  No idea why some would do that since you’re only going to sit and wait anyway.  Not my idea of a good time. 

• Like 3

Have not read all these posts but passing along our recent experience.....

We boarded the Nieuw Amsterdam Saturday (12/18).  Our boarding times kept changing and I think when the music stopped we were assigned 2pm.  I quit paying attention to it. 

We arrived at 10:30am.....breezed thru check in (it's very streamlined now with the passport facial recognition) and were first to board at 11:30am.  

We had a blast!

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/18/2021 at 8:01 PM, DAllenTCY said:

We do have a "Penalty Box" to use if necessary.  There are tape lines and signs deployed for Groups A, B, C, etc.(1:00, 1:20; 1:40 noted, too).... every sailing.  

The reality is that we have only had 1,000 - 1,200 on any recent ship day....50% capacity or less.

We are in the Guest Service industry, and our "job" is to promote the cruise line product by offering 'beyond expectations' experiences.  

If it is safe to do so, we have adequate staff in place, and the previous cruise guests have cleared out according to CDC requirement...we will allow for early entry to the terminal.

However; Holland America Line, Disney Cruise Line, and Celebrity Cruises do not encourage guests to arrive prior to their scheduled times.  

David

Thank you for this clarification.  I appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

First time HAL cruisers here. 

Boarding time has been changed 4 times already in a month, yet there is still near 2 weeks to go.  Although the assigned time appears to be a reference point only, the fluidity make it impossible to schedule a 72 hr pcr test the day we fly out.

Not sure if this constant changing of boarding time is padamic related practice or not since it appears to be the norm with HAL?   Perhaps senior mariners can advise.

We have never encountered any change with 3 other lines we have cruised - except once moved up by one day due to Hurricane Sandy.

The frustration of Navigator is still not showing one of our 2nd booking after 5 calls (~1 hr wait each)+ 2 live chats (~30 min wait each)+ an email (near a week ago) to the Navigator.support is another story.

Sorry for the vent.

Relax.....you are about to begin a great vacation.......and welcome to Holland America Line!

• Do not worry about boarding times....Just arrive when you want.  (Our experience on three cruises since the unpleasantness is that boarding times do not matter but are rather there to smooth out the arrivals)
  • Review the FAQ's on HAL's website RE: testing requirements...it's not hours before but it is days before....It's 3 days not 72 hours....the boarding time will not impact your Covid testing time. From the HAL website for USA cruises.. (look at the site for help with your specific timeline):  All guests aged two and older who are up to date with their vaccines, i.e., received a booster if eligible, may take their antigen or PCR COVID-19 test within 3 days prior to sailing.
  • Not sure what you mean by "not showing one of our 2nd bookings"?  Can you get both boarding passes?  if so, you are good to go.  Tell me more or perhaps others might understand and can chime in.

Savor the journey......