Omicron Cancellations?

ledbyrain

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

That's what pre-cruise testing is for.

And in the next few weeks it's pretty much a guarantee that pre-cruise testing will find wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more positives. Mild symptoms of course but that doesn't matter cause they'll be denied boarding. I'm basing this off of what's happening at my work and the professional sports leagues. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

Can anyone get through this paywall? Would love to read the rest based on the first few sentences.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/12/17/cruise-covid-outbreak-royal-caribbean/8899096002/?gnt-cfr=1

I just did a google search for royal caribbean usa today, and it popped up with no restrictions. Try that to see if it will work for you. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mapleleafforever said:

And in the next few weeks it's pretty much a guarantee that pre-cruise testing will find wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more positives. Mild symptoms of course but that doesn't matter cause they'll be denied boarding. I'm basing this off of what's happening at my work and the professional sports leagues. 

Exactly. With the increased transmissibility of Omicron, while there won't be an increase in serious illness (hopefully), but the effects of how contagious Omicron is already is in play.  Cornell University is shut down and their student population is 97% vaccinated.  NFL, NHL, NBA, all with high vaccination rates, are canceling, postponing, and shifting games and schedules. Sports Illustrated declaring just an hour ago that the three leagues are in crisis mode all due to a rapid increase in positive testing just in this past week. https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/12/17/covid-19-what-the-nfl-nba-nhl-should-do

Being on a fully vaccinated ship and having some protection from testing positive is no longer what it used to be since Omicron knows how to elude vaccinations. Nobody (hopefully) is going to get really sick from Omicron but the positive tests, if they continue like they have this week, are going to explode.

Edited by cured
  • Like 2

I'm starting to worry about my May European cruise.  If too many people on a ship test positive, the port can refuse them entry.  Cabo San Lucas turned away a Carnival ship yesterday (actually, they said everyone wanting to come ashore would need to take a rapid test that day, and Carnival couldn't see how that was feasible for a port they'd only be in from 6:30AM - 1:30PM).  Now, when I go to the Caribbean I'm bummed out if I miss a port, or a port changes, but it's no big deal.  A beach is a beach and most of the Caribbean is fabulous.  But with a European cruise, I'm going because I want to visit those specific ports and I'm making plans for what to do in the ports.  I'm starting to think I should move my cruise out by another year...which sucks.

50 minutes ago, ladychater said:

I'm starting to worry about my May European cruise.  If too many people on a ship test positive, the port can refuse them entry.  Cabo San Lucas turned away a Carnival ship yesterday (actually, they said everyone wanting to come ashore would need to take a rapid test that day, and Carnival couldn't see how that was feasible for a port they'd only be in from 6:30AM - 1:30PM).  Now, when I go to the Caribbean I'm bummed out if I miss a port, or a port changes, but it's no big deal.  A beach is a beach and most of the Caribbean is fabulous.  But with a European cruise, I'm going because I want to visit those specific ports and I'm making plans for what to do in the ports.  I'm starting to think I should move my cruise out by another year...which sucks.

Omicron will be quick. It's already waning in South Africa.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ladychater said:

I wouldn't be worried about May.  The cruising next 4 weeks are the ones who will probably get hit hardest.

9 hours ago, Babr said:

They did test pre-cruise. Perhaps the example of denied boarding was distracting.

The point is that a positive result causes protocols to be enforced. In this case, the couple tested positive during the cruise, but RCL could not arrange transportation so they had to quarantine for three days in a small room with meals served in take-out containers. 

My concern is the fast spreading of this 

Omicron.  They are predicting the peak at mid January, if we’re lucky.  If it’s so contagious, how do we make it through the traveling, hotels and then the ship without catching it?   Of course, my first cruise is mid January.  Yikes!!!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Omicron will be quick. It's already waning in South Africa.

Ya, it'll be interesting which 'world ending' variant comes next....they've kept the hysteria up thus far, so they won't have to wait too long.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bucfan2 said:

Ya, it'll be interesting which 'world ending' variant comes next....they've kept the hysteria up thus far, so they won't have to wait too long.

From all indications, Omicron is not as dangerous as past variants, but I guess we really won't know for a month or so how it plays out here in the US.

But if it does prove to be milder, I wonder if the hysteria will stop?  Sadly, my guess is no. The news media won't let the golden goose die - this unfortunately could go on for a long time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, mek said:

The news media won't let the golden goose die - this unfortunately could go on for a long time.

Thing is, while milder, it spreads so easily. This is the first time I recall reading about so man covid issues within professional sports. Several NFL games are postponed that were scheduled for tomorrow. I read that Broadway is once again shutting down certain shows also. We're only getting started with this new surge (and yet the delta surge is also still going strong). 

On 12/17/2021 at 9:13 AM, ledbyrain said:

Hello,

My family is supposed to sail on the 26th and I'm trying to decide whether to cancel our reservation due to Omicron.  I'm wondering about the chances of RC cancelling the cruise themselves or CDC suspending cruising by then. Is this likely/possible? My main concern (given the level of contagiousness) is that so many crew/passengers could become positive that the cruise just can't function well (e.g., meals). I would love others thoughts. I'm so sad to even be posting this...

We cancelled our 1/31/2022 Anthem sailing due to this rise in Covid. 

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

Barbeyg....I think this (from your signature expansion) says it all..  "3rd attempt for a family AK cruise"    Wow....isn't this a tale many of us can tell? I also have a few of those '3rd attempts' going for next year. This is crazy....

Yeah, first two cancelled because of no sailing. 🥺

My HOPE is that we make it this May. I don’t know if our two older beloved family members will be able to go in 2023. My eldest sister struggles with her RA already, but she is game for 2022. It would be nice if this starts winding down, wouldn’t it? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

LOL...My dad was fond of saying that "noone is responsible for their own actions anymore - it's always someone else's fault when things go wrong". I'd rather be a vaccinated 'sheep' than an unvaccinated person that might wind up in the hospital (being that the hospitals are full of them...people..not sheep.)

I get all that.  Point is, what makes one side right, and the other deserving of the blame?  I find it entertaining to see all the blame put 'on the other side' simply because it doesn't follow the blamer's narrative.

• Like 1