Elegant Dress?

leitmotif

On 12/27/2021 at 10:21 PM, SNJCruisers said:

They print money off of pictures, even more now that it's all digital and they no longer waste 90%+ of what they used to print.

Just got off of the Elation and had cruised Horizon before that.  On Horizon in the HUB app you could see all the pictures on your phone.  On Elation they still had the photo walls where you have to look for your pictures.  I had assumed the photo walls were gone so I was surprised to see them.  Even more surprised that most of the ones of us (at dinner) were gone. 😀  guess we had unknown fans in the ship yet no one asked me autograph one.  THAT might be fun on a future cruise.  Buy someone’s photos and ask them yo autograph it, pose for selfies and such and never explain why.  😊

• Haha 1

On 12/20/2021 at 3:07 PM, vamartha said:

... not packing DH a tie and not planning to dress up. I'm finally retired, ...

We're making our first Carnival cruise after a dozen or so cruises split between Norwegian and Royal Caribbean. I have a tie packed  - it doesn't take up much space. But no jacket. Elegant has no place in my wardrobe 😛

• Like 1

From Carnival's website:

“Cruise Elegant” Dress Code (formal evenings)

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one “Cruise Elegant” evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two “Cruise Elegant” evenings

The first “Cruise Elegant” evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second “Cruise Elegant” evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting. 

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

I think it's odd that people will complain about people not following rules like saving lounge chairs or kids in hot tubs etc. 

I wonder if some of those same people encourage people to not follow the established dress code? I am not a big fan of rules and I honestly believe we could use a lot less of them but I won't intentionally break them or encourage others to.

One of the best things about being on a cruise ship is all of the options. I am not saying that anyone needs to throw on the "Dumb and Dumber" tux but if someone has a question about the dress code I think they should be advised that it does exist. 

8 minutes ago, Ilovesailaway said:

From Carnival's website:

“Cruise Elegant” Dress Code (formal evenings)

• 2-day to 5-day cruise: one “Cruise Elegant” evening
  • 6-day or longer cruise: two “Cruise Elegant” evenings

The first “Cruise Elegant” evening is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise and the second “Cruise Elegant” evening is the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, itinerary schedule permitting. 

• Men: dress slacks, dress shirts, and we also suggest a sport coat; men may also wish to wear a suit and tie or tuxedo
  • Women: cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; ladies may also wish to wear an evening gown

Not permitted: jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, shorts, tee-shirts, sportswear, shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

I think it's odd that people will complain about people not following rules like saving lounge chairs or kids in hot tubs etc. 

I wonder if some of those same people encourage people to not follow the established dress code? I am not a big fan of rules and I honestly believe we could use a lot less of them but I won't intentionally break them or encourage others to.

One of the best things about being on a cruise ship is all of the options. I am not saying that anyone needs to throw on the "Dumb and Dumber" tux but if someone has a question about the dress code I think they should be advised that it does exist. 

Or complain about the non mask wearers , 

22 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Is this your first cruise? 

Not my first cruise no not sure why you would ask but to explain my comment to you i was sorta taken aback with the OP's comment about "Just finding out" 

My DH and I just attended a "Black Tie Optional" wedding.  He wore a black suit, tie and pocket square.  I wore a sparkly top and black skirt with heels.  We danced like children of the night. I wish we had more opportunities to dress us because it's fun.  I guess that's another reason why we cruise.  YMMV.

IMG_6557.jpg

• Like 3

OP, Jeans will work fine (as long as they are clean, not ripped, or hanging off your arse with your underwear showing); couple it with a collared shirt of some kind with clean shoes. It'll be fine. Most people don't go all out and do the jacket, suit or tux. There will be plenty of slobs in there who completely disregard the dress code and dress like schlubs lol. You could  make a game of it on elegant night. Find the the biggest slob passenger in the MDR who has the most prohibited items. It can be quite fun and a few will look like they read the recommended and prohibited clothing in reverse lol. 

Edited by cruisingguy007

27 minutes ago, ninjacat123 said:

My DH and I just attended a "Black Tie Optional" wedding.  He wore a black suit, tie and pocket square.  I wore a sparkly top and black skirt with heels.  We danced like children of the night. I wish we had more opportunities to dress us because it's fun.  I guess that's another reason why we cruise.  YMMV.

IMG_6557.jpg

Must like the Minn. Vikings, lol, nice picture. 

• Like 2

Late post for the OP, it all depends on you, if you are planning on taking nice formal pictures on elegant night and it’s a one of a lifetime thing where you can update your pictures or get a set to send out for the holidays then go for it, dress for it. I’m old school and always wear a nice suit on those 2 nights whether I’m taking pictures or not. If you’re not one of those people that likes to dress up, nice jeans and a nice polo shirt will do. 

Fred

Edited by Wennfred
  • Like 1