Wine

bvm5

The Princess policy:

Bringing alcohol onboard at embarkation: Beer and liquor are not allowed. It will be confiscated and discarded. Each passenger of drinking age can bring one bottle of wine or Champagne (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the cabin. When brought to restaurants, a $20 corkage fee applies. Bringing additional wine or Champagne bottles aboard is allowed, but each bottle will incur a $20 corkage fee, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed.

• Like 2

I've never packed our wine but what's the worst that could happen?

They'll probably just call you down to explain what the wine was in the luggage. It probably happens quite often & people on CC just don't hear about it. 

On 12/18/2021 at 7:14 PM, skynight said:

Carry on only. Not packed in checked baggage

Why not ? There is nothing in the "rules" to say that you have to put wine in checked baggage .

I've certainly put wine in  my suitcase with no issue.

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

They'll probably just call you down to explain what the wine was in the luggage. It probably happens quite often & people on CC just don't hear about it. 

The Passage Contract allows them to remove locks or hold bags for inspection. When flying to a cruise my wine needs to be in a checked bag where it remains when it won’t fit in full carryon bags. Only once was I required to go to security to unlock a bag to show them it was wine & not spirits.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skynight said:

For wine the contract only states the wine is to be presented to security.

In section 5 of the Passage Contract it states wine may be presented to security and not is to presented to security which I interpret to mean wine is not required to be carried onboard. If in checked bags that might require going to ship’s security (AKA naughty room) to unlock bags for inspection of the bottle’s contents.

“one (1) bottle of wine or champagne (750 mL in volume or less) per Guest per Voyage may be presented to security during embarkation”.

Let's be realistic. Security staff at the ports are not employed by the cruise line, but by the port authority.  They are checking for guns, knives etc, not if Mr Smith is smuggling two bottles of Malbec on board. 

If someone packs a bottle of wine in their suitcase, and another bottle in their carry on bag, in the scale of things, does it matter ?

44 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Let's be realistic. Security staff at the ports are not employed by the cruise line, but by the port authority.  They are checking for guns, knives etc, not if Mr Smith is smuggling two bottles of Malbec on board. 

If someone packs a bottle of wine in their suitcase, and another bottle in their carry on bag, in the scale of things, does it matter ?

At the Port of Los Angeles I can report that the security personnel act as de facto Princess employees.  I regularly pack wine in my carry-ons.  Actually I have a special tote that can hold up to twelve bottles that works great.  So, I reaaly don't carry on.  I drag on.  Without exception, when my  tote exits the security scanner, a security person intercepts it.  He may or may not inspect it to verify that it is wine, but he will, invariably direct me to the "wine table" where Princess dining room personnel count the number of bottles and have me sign for corkage.  As far as I'm concerned that part works well.

I personally would consider a call to visit with ship's security personnel to be an annoyance that I do not need.  So, carrying on my own wine works well for me.  However, there are circumstances where I agree that getting that call would be more than acceptable.  A few years ago here on the Cruise Critic Princess board, there was a traveler who was taking three cases of wine on his trip.  I agree that lugging three cases through the boarding terminal is, at best, tedious.  He attached luggage tags to his three cases and left it them with a porter at the pier.  After boarding the ship he was contacted by security and asked to come to their office and sign for the corkage, there.  That worked very well for him.  Not only did he not have to lug his wine onto the ship, but after he signed for corkage, Princess delivered the three cases to his cabin.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, XBGuy said:

Not only did he not have to lug his wine onto the ship, but after he signed for corkage, Princess delivered the three cases to his cabin.

It's the least they could do for what was $540 in corkage at the time!!  😉

The most I have done is two cases.  And I used a collapsible dolly to manage that.  And thankful I did not need to dash to the Sanctuary on that voyage. 

15 hours ago, MissP22 said:

We have packed it on many occasions and never got called down to anywhere. We just pay the corkage fee when we take it to the dining room.

Edited by suzyed
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, XBGuy said:

At the Port of Los Angeles I can report that the security personnel act as de facto Princess employees.

I suppose it very much depends on the port. LA,  for example, security staff will have far more experience and knowledge of Princess protocols than, say Southampton,  given the greater number of departures. They will have been briefed by Princess, and taken on a role that is not replicated elsewhere

On our latest cruise from Southampton there was no "wine table"  in the security area,  so you would have physically needed to present yourself to the staff on board if you wanted to pay corkage.  Moreover,  you could also  take additional wine onboard at the various ports with no issues. 

7 hours ago, suzyed said:

We have packed it on many occasions and never got called down to anywhere. We just pay the corkage fee when we take it to the dining room.

We never have paid corkage since we only carry glasses to the DR or buffet to skirt the issue.

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

I suppose it very much depends on the port. LA,  for example, security staff will have far more experience and knowledge of Princess protocols than, say Southampton,  given the greater number of departures. They will have been briefed by Princess, and taken on a role that is not replicated elsewhere

On our latest cruise from Southampton there was no "wine table"  in the security area,  so you would have physically needed to present yourself to the staff on board if you wanted to pay corkage.  Moreover,  you could also  take additional wine onboard at the various ports with no issues. 

Since we always board early they're never ready with the wine table and we always bypass the check in desk at any of the distant ports. 

• Like 2

I too find the wine table rarely setup when we are checking in.  But, I am prepared to be charged in the DR.  Often, a nice waiter won't charge me for the full voyage.  That often earns the waiter some extra gratuity.  We don't carry glasses - too easy to spill and then where is my refill?  

(I know could take a tall water glass and then refill the wine glass at the table, but have to be careful doing that pour.  I'm saving with BYOB, so I expect some charges.  I find don't get charged every time and sometimes am bringing in a bottle that has been opened in the cabin already.  It works out pretty well for me).

ETA:  I am happy if it turns out the waiters benefit some over PCL.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 2

I carry my wine on in a roller bag. I put the bottles in one of the grocery totes for added protection. This is usually out of LA. I have never had to pay corkage (although I would). Perhaps because we get to the terminal early and usually sail in suites? 🤷‍♀️ 

E6D0D6B6-3A7F-43C7-8C68-BF210C57BA31.jpeg

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

I carry my wine on in a roller bag. I put the bottles in one of the grocery totes for added protection. This is usually out of LA. I have never had to pay corkage (although I would). Perhaps because we get to the terminal early and usually sail in suites? 🤷‍♀️ 

E6D0D6B6-3A7F-43C7-8C68-BF210C57BA31.jpeg

what ya got there ? looks enticing.