Wine

bvm5

17 hours ago, tanyaewa said:

I take what I need.  If I get asked I pay.  

I'm surprised that the Cheerleaders haven't called you a thief for not engaging multiple Princess staff and demanding that they setup the liquor table so you can be charged the corkage. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Scotto97 said:

I'm surprised that the Cheerleaders haven't called you a thief for not engaging multiple Princess staff and demanding that they setup the liquor table so you can be charged the corkage. 

So i dont understand - theoretically would you pay the corkage at the wine table before embarkation, or would you pay it when you take your bottle to a restaurant? How will the wine table know what to charge as they won't know where you will drink your wine?

2 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

So i dont understand - theoretically would you pay the corkage at the wine table before embarkation, or would you pay it when you take your bottle to a restaurant? How will the wine table know what to charge as they won't know where you will drink your wine?

If the Wine Table is open, you pay and the bottles are given a sticker or stamp that signifies a corkage has been paid so a waiter doesn't charge you a second time. If the table is not open, you continue onboard. Sometimes a waiter will ask to see the stamp when you bring in a bottle to the MDR, etc., and then charge you if absent. But you would "Get away" from paying the $20 corkage if enjoying within your cabin. 

2 minutes ago, Scotto97 said:

If the Wine Table is open, you pay and the bottles are given a sticker or stamp that signifies a corkage has been paid so a waiter doesn't charge you a second time. If the table is not open, you continue onboard. Sometimes a waiter will ask to see the stamp when you bring in a bottle to the MDR, etc., and then charge you if absent. But you would "Get away" from paying the $20 corkage if enjoying within your cabin. 

So you would just say 1 bottle of 6 was for consumption in your cabin and you wouldnt pay corkage at the wine table for it and it wouldnt get a stamp?

24 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

So you would just say 1 bottle of 6 was for consumption in your cabin and you wouldnt pay corkage at the wine table for it and it wouldnt get a stamp?

When I took 6 bottles to the wine table, all 6 were stamped,  but I paid corkage on 5. That way you can take any of your bottles to the MDR. 

36 minutes ago, wowzz said:

When I took 6 bottles to the wine table, all 6 were stamped,  but I paid corkage on 5. That way you can take any of your bottles to the MDR. 

That was one accommodating Princess person.  Once the guy just handed me some stickers and told me to put in on the bottles myself.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jimbo1683 said:

So you would just say 1 bottle of 6 was for consumption in your cabin and you wouldn't pay corkage at the wine table for it and it wouldn't get a stamp?

You are allowed one bottle per person with no corkage fee charged.  It is intended for cabin usage.  If you take the free bottle (unopened) to the DR, it is subject to a corkage fee.  Best idea is to open the bottle and use some of it in the cabin before taking to the DR.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

That was nice of them as the "free" bottle should not have a sticker as it is subject to corkage outside the cabin. 

58 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

That was one accommodating Princess person.  Once the guy just handed me some stickers and told me to put in on the bottles myself.

Yes, I have paid corkage on two cases of wine once and they just gave me the stickers because six bottles were free (2 of us times 3 legs of a B2B2B).  It was up to me to decide which bottles to sticker or leave as-is.  Would have taken too much time at the table, plus both boxes were sealed up from Total Wine, so why open them?

A friend I was travelling with, when boarding in Rome, brought some lovely Italian wines on board, fully intending to do the “right thing” she attempted to pay for her stamps… there was no table set up, there were no Princess staff and it was a 20 minute comedy trying to pay.  They had to finally shoo her into next stage of boarding because they wanted the problem to go away.  Lol. Therefore my system, if I get asked… I pay.  

11 hours ago, tanyaewa said:

A friend I was travelling with, when boarding in Rome, brought some lovely Italian wines on board, fully intending to do the “right thing” she attempted to pay for her stamps… there was no table set up, there were no Princess staff and it was a 20 minute comedy trying to pay.  They had to finally shoo her into next stage of boarding because they wanted the problem to go away.  Lol. Therefore my system, if I get asked… I pay.  

My take is....If they don't setup the wine check-in table they must not care about collecting the corkage fee. 

42 minutes ago, Scotto97 said:

My take is....If they don't setup the wine check-in table they must not care about collecting the corkage fee. 

We're always early to board since we drive to the port in Ft Lauderdale.

In the last 10 years ( can only remember a few scattered times when we've see the wine table.

5 hours ago, Scotto97 said:

I think you are right,  plus, with the advent of Princess Plus,  there is no longer any need to sneak a bottle of plonk onboard.

On 12/23/2021 at 6:12 PM, jimbo1683 said:

Yes!  But you would pay at the wine table for the other 5 and they would put the sticker on those.  Of course it will go on your account you don't actually "pay with cash".

On 12/25/2021 at 9:07 AM, MissP22 said:

Not everyone is buying the Princess Plus package. 

Sorry, I should have said that the majority of UK cruisers are buying the PP package,  as it is a bargain given the high price of drinks on Princess.  

Just now, wowzz said:

Sorry, I should have said that the majority of UK cruisers are buying the PP package,  as it is a bargain given the high price of drinks on Princess.  

I'm not certain it'll be a "bargain" but we'll be giving it a try. 

It would be better if only my husband had the package since I can't possible drink that much to even break even. 

13 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I'm not certain it'll be a "bargain" but we'll be giving it a try. 

It would be better if only my husband had the package since I can't possible drink that much to even break even. 

Given that PP includes the autotips,  you only have to have 3 or 4 chargeable drinks a day (including speciality coffees or mocktails) to " break even" and that's before counting the cost of the wifi, which will be of more importance to some than others. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Given that PP includes the autotips,  you only have to have 3 or 4 chargeable drinks a day (including speciality coffees or mocktails) to " break even" and that's before counting the cost of the wifi, which will be of more importance to some than others. 

Agree!

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

Believe Princess' beverage pricing is fair in comparison to other similar cruise lines.

Non event for us.  If we are asked to pay then we pay.

We have had good luck on Celebrity.  We invariably board with two bottles each.  Never had an issue.

We have had a number of stops, like Madeira, where a crew member gave us the nod that wine would not be checked at this stop.  We took advantage of it to pick up some very nice Douro reds.

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, Phantom of the Seas said:

You may be able to bring more than 2 bottles of wine onboard without the wine being checked in for the corkage fee....if you bring a bottle of wine to dinner without a sticker,  Princess can charge you for the corkage fee at that time.....

We are quite happy to drink our own wine in our cabin.  In the MDR we will buy a basic bottle  of  wine to accompany, let's face it,  a fairly average meal.