Sugar Free desserts

mkam2821

Just be careful if you are really strict about sugar intake.   They have many "no sugar added" deserts on the normal menus and in the buffet.  These can include quite a bit of natural sugars.  For example it may have sweetened chocolate or bananas or pineapple which are all no no for DW diet.

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Thanks 1

Yes the dining room menus say sugar free for at least 1 dessert. Just tell your waiter and he will ensure it's what you need.  Also at the Buffett you can always tell them you need sugar free and they will point you in the right direction. We have traveled with my daughter who is gluten free and they bent over backwards to ensure she got the correct food.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Sheltielover73 said:

this reminds me I had the best sugar free peanut butter cookie at Cafe Al Bacio this month. I liked it better than the full sugar version. 

They also have a great sugar free coconut macaroon!

Edited by lovrccl
  • Like 3

They do have plenty of sugar free and and no sugar added options but you should ask what they are using for a sweetener.  When I have asked in the past it has been aspertaine or nutrasweet.  Some places use sugar alcohols like mataltatol and lactotol and sucrrelos (splenda) all of which can lead to stomach upsets that are not fun.  Everyone is different as to what they can tolerate so don't be afraid to ask.  I know I need to really avoid the sugar alcohols, except small amounts of splenda, the others pretty much ruin my day.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mkam2821 said:

My husband is diabetic. Can we request sugar free desserts at dinner or should we contact special needs prior to our cruise?
Thanks in advance and happy and SAFE holidays to all

You can ask for sugar free desserts, and it is best to ask ahead of time just in case.  But to expand your choices (and limit glucose swings too!), ask for foods (or just the desserts, if you prefer) that are "moderately low on carbohydrates."  That gives them more options to prepare something special for you, or refer you to it,  that is still tasty, just in a different way. 

Have a wonderful cruise!

• Like 1

I was catered for in the most wonderful way after visiting the maître d on embarkation. I had previously emailed the "special needs" dept and they recommended I do this as soon as possible on embarkation so the area that caters for special diets in the galley would know asap.

My waiter was on the ball with menu selection, even on one occasion said "Ma'am you should not eat that"...we all laughed! He told me that the chef even requested that he taste some of the dishes so he could explain the flavour to me.

As mentioned above, ensure the replacement sugars they use are agreeable. I even brought a can of my favourite "sugar" to pass onto the kitchen in case it was not something they carried on board. 

They also have a couple sugar free ice creams daily and sugar free deserts on all of the dining room menus.   I believe they also have a couple selections at al Bacio

If he has a special request just ask your waiter or Asst manager at least a day in advance.  Be careful you may get it every night after your request.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2021 at 11:05 AM, mkam2821 said:

My husband is diabetic. Can we request sugar free desserts at dinner or should we contact special needs prior to our cruise?

Yes.  I am diabetic as well and there are some sugar free options on the menu and sugar free ice cream in the buffet.  Really good, too!  I would get the sugar free ice cream and sugar free peanut butter cookie in the buffet on our most recent Silhouette cruise.  Be sure to request the sugar free peanut  butter cookie because they have both.

Edited by Terre
  • Thanks 1

I would still contact special needs, and let your waiter or maitre d know on the first day and they will bring you menus for every dinner and help you pick.

• 2 weeks later...

I was impressed on my last cruise on the Independence of the Seas as to the amount of "NSA" desserts that were offered and most were delicious.  Not just in the MDR or buffet but at the coffee bar also.  The Peanut butter cookies were fantastic but the lemon cookies were even better.  I even took 2 dozen home with me and froze them, but they are gone.

I have tried to get the recipe and type of sweetener they use from RCL but they haven't responded.

I have a related question on sugar free options.  I'll be staying at the Retreat.  If I make the request before sailing, would they stock sugar free mixers (tonic, ginger beer) in the room or in the Martini bar?  I'm guessing that these sugar free mixers aren't normally stocked at the bars?

There is ALWAYS one sugar free dessert option on every menu. Like all their other deserts though, don't expect it to taste good.  Their desserts are all terrible, no matter what venue.

At the buffet look for the * on the label.  It would be under the name of the dessert and under that is the another row with key to the symbols.  Make sure it has the *.  I found that on the APEX the sugar free options at MDR or specialty restaurants the sugar free option is mostly ice cream.  At Oceanview you will find a bit more variety like cakes.  The “ cake” part of the cake usually is not very tasty and have a weird texture to it but the “ cream” part is amazing and tasty.  

32 minutes ago, BennyBrun said:

I know it is not Celebrity’s style and people might complain but a simple sugar free jello would be very much welcomed.  Sometimes you just want that simple sugar free option.

Our last Celebrity cruise was February, 2019. At that time they had sugar free jello available at the buffet.

On 1/16/2022 at 4:20 PM, duluthDL said:

I have a related question on sugar free options.  I'll be staying at the Retreat.  If I make the request before sailing, would they stock sugar free mixers (tonic, ginger beer) in the room or in the Martini bar?  I'm guessing that these sugar free mixers aren't normally stocked at the bars?

They probably cannot add them to the bar and definitely not gonna happen in your room.  But an easy solution - carry some on board.  Have taken 12pks of a diet tonic on board.