Life and Live from Koningsdam on her New Year's cruise 26 Dec 21 - 02 Jan 22

Copper10-8

1 minute ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It is close.  I'm not sure if call it easy especially if you don't pack light.  Empty handed, yes easy.

We each had a large suitecase and a carry bag and did not feel it was very hard (and we are over 70).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

It is close.  I'm not sure if call it easy especially if you don't pack light.  Empty handed, yes easy.

Even dragging a couple large suitcases I found it to be an extremely easy walk. Was probably more like a 3 min walk than 5.

16 minutes ago, zelker said:

Excellent!  We're booked there before our Feb. 27th cruise on Zuiderdam (and again in October).  How do you rate it?  And did you walk over to the pier this morning?

Thanks!

I would absolutely stay there again. I found the room very nice and the ease to the port was fantastic.  Also the free breakfast was a really solid offering. There were a lot of people there for sure, but that doesn't bother me at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Brentt_M said:

Even dragging a couple large suitcases I found it to be an extremely easy walk. Was probably more like a 3 min walk than 5.

I would absolutely stay there again. I found the room very nice and the ease to the port was fantastic.  Also the free breakfast was a really solid offering. There were a lot of people there for sure, but that doesn't bother me at all.

What did you think was so solid?  Eggs were cold and tasted like rubber.  The bacon was fine.  Potatoes again, cold.  I didn't find there was a lot to choose from.  I'd rather pay $15 or $20 to get something hot and tasty but I do realize I'm probably in the minority.

As far as dragging suitcases I'm pretty sure I have at least 20 years on you.  Aging has a way of making things harder.  I just don't want 80 year olds with walkers thinking its nothing.  Could most do it? Probably.  

5 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

What did you think was so solid?  Eggs were cold and tasted like rubber.  The bacon was fine.  Potatoes again, cold.  I didn't find there was a lot to choose from.  I'd rather pay $15 or $20 to get something hot and tasty but I do realize I'm probably in the minority.

As far as dragging suitcases I'm pretty sure I have at least 20 years on you.  Aging has a way of making things harder.  I just don't want 80 year olds with walkers thinking its nothing.  Could most do it? Probably.  

It was a complimentary hotel breakfast. Yes paying $20 would probably get you a better breakfast. However, my eggs and potatoes were not cold at all.  My cantaloupe and pineapple was delicious and a there were numerous different coffees, teas, juices, milks available.  Also and good selection of both hot and cold cereals and breakfast pastries.

As for the walk it was about as easy as it comes.  Level ground on paved surfaces for the distance of about half a city block  If someone isn't able to handle that walk that's absolutely fine as everyone has their own limits and capabilities, but I am not sure what else could make it much easier.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I know you are not asking me but I also stayed there before my cruise.  I would say it's a 4 star hotel. The think I didn't like is that the have a free breakfast.  I don't love it because it was packed with people without masks.  Also everyone was serving themselves.  Yuk.  Maybe this is common in the USA but it's not where I live. 

People without masks in San Diego are very common. 

Serve yourself salad bars/hot food in grocery stores are common too.

1 minute ago, zelker said:

Can’t you cut through the parking lots?

=====

yes you can cut through the parking lot.   the only obstacle is there is a rise of about two feet to lift your luggage when you get to the edge of the parking lot.   tried it once and a young Marine came running over to assist us.

Peter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SFO PETER said:

=====

yes you can cut through the parking lot.   the only obstacle is there is a rise of about two feet to lift your luggage when you get to the edge of the parking lot.   tried it once and a young Marine came running over to assist us.

Peter

Thanks, good to know!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

excellent and will follow along.

I became a fan of yours after you helped that elderly couple back in Spring of 2020 getting them back from Down under.

I as well became a fan too.  That was so special what he did. 

So I will be following as well.

@Copper10-8 have a great trip!

Edited by #55worktoplay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Glad there is yet another "live from" thread to follow!  Hope you have a great and healthy cruise! 

One thing I'm wondering about is where on the ship is the group of cabins set aside for quarantine (crew or passenger).  Thinking about the KDam for the fall and looking at cabins right now. 

Linda R.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for posting, we are hoping to go on the January 2nd cruise.  Are they making you wear masks at the pool?  A Holland rep told me on the phone I would need to wear a mask at ALL times, even outside????

Edited by Arlo92106
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Arlo92106 said:

Thank you for posting, we are hoping to go on the January 2nd cruise.  Are they making you wear masks at the pool?  A Holland rep told me on the phone I would need to wear a mask at ALL times, even outside????

We are also on the January 2 cruise. At this time, the HAL website says masks indoors except when eating or drinking.  Masks “outdoors if in large gatherings and physical distancing cannot  be maintained.”

I would think there will many places outdoors where masks would be neither necessary nor required. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2