Do not Board - Currently on the Symphony of the Seas 8 day Holiday Cruise

Gissi6

I saw the cruise planner for this sailing and I thought it still had the Red Party and Silent Party on there.  Unless that has changed, I would consider that nightclub entertainment.  Our favorite show on Symphony was the ice skating show which I believe is still taking place.  Hiro was great too though.  When I saw the extreme title of this thread I thought for sure there was a covid outbreak so I am happy to see that wasn't the case.

27 minutes ago, nelblu said:

You are being picky.  Parents who are vaxxed and have unvaxxed children are considered unvaxxed.  They are considered vaxxed if their children are not with them. 

Not being picky.  Just stating that vaxxed can/could use the everyone areas (shows, dining, etc.).  But, YMMV.

13 minutes ago, tcneal said:

I asked and was told they lost a lot dealers to quarantine.   They don't have enough dealers to run the tables.  Someone also said that patient zero was at the craps table a couple of cruises ago.  Don't know if that was true.

Roulette is open but they make everyone sit down and you can't stand.  The dealer needs to place your bet if you can't reach.

Thanks, and that’s interesting about roulette. 

We are on Anthe for NYE. As long as they have cocktails , food and a spot for me in the solarium with a good book. I am good to go.

This will be our 2nd cruise during the covid-era. And our 6th trip overall.

This trip was literally half the price of all the other NYE cruises we have done, even including drink package. So yeah no brainer. 

Edited by alexgtp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, afcgirl said:

I saw the cruise planner for this sailing and I thought it still had the Red Party and Silent Party on there.  Unless that has changed, I would consider that nightclub entertainment.  Our favorite show on Symphony was the ice skating show which I believe is still taking place.  Hiro was great too though.  When I saw the extreme title of this thread I thought for sure there was a covid outbreak so I am happy to see that wasn't the case.

But things are being cancelled, day by day. Not sure how far in advance the cruise planners are printed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlatteCoPoke said:

Are pools open?   They still serving booze? Cool, I’m still going.  

FWIW, the current cruise on the Odyssey is running out of booze.  Vodka was low yesterday and completely out of drink mixers.  This is per some people I know currently on board. Not completely Royal’s fault. They were not allowed to dock in Curacao to replenish.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gissi6 said:

Hi everyone,

…Is Christmas day and I wasn’t expecting to be doing this but, is important for me to warn others.

I’m a long time cruiser, been on the Allure, Harmony and this week boarded the Symphony to introduce my fiancé to  cruising. My mistake!

He is having a good time overall, but we are bored out of our minds.

This is what we are currently dealing with, and this is a warning for others that are

on edge about cancelling their cruises. 

NO Aquatheather shows at all

NO Broadway shows

NO Latin Band or music whatsoever in Boleros

NO Parades (expected)

NO Dazzles

NO other clubs aka. the Attic (usual late venue)

NO On Air activities 

NO Sailaway party - we departed very late due to 2hr push on everyone’s check-in time for enhanced cleaning 

Entertainment is extremely thin, only Comedy shows, Headliners and the Ice Skating shows. I’ve visited guest services to complain and they say the entire entertainment crew is quarantined due close contact in prior sailing.…

Why would you complain to guest services? Royal isn’t canceling entertainment for the fun of it. Do you expect them to have sick crew members work so the cruise can go on as you expected it to? I would hope not. A lot of the entertainment that you listed as being canceled has been reported on here previously so I’m surprised you weren’t aware of it. With covid we have to roll with the punches whether it’s on a cruise, at home or anywhere else covid is wrecking plans. Glad your fiancé is having some fun. Sit on the balcony or on deck somewhere, grab a drink and get to know him even better.

5 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

Because, in Royal’s own words, “Royal Caribbean International® sets the cruise industry standard with dazzling, full-scale productions, every night on every cruise”.

It’s not delivering what it’s promised, and not giving any compensation to the many, many people who choose Royal for the quality of its entertainment.

Covid is wrecking many plans everywhere and we have known about this for almost 2 years. Royal’s crystal ball doesn’t tell them ahead of time how many crew will be sick and how it’s going to affect shows and everything else. I’m sure Royal is doing the best they can considering. As for their compensation they have a very lenient cancellation policy compared to before. 

4 hours ago, smeck said:

I think Royal should be more transparent with what’s going on with each ship.  

How? It changes from day to day and ship to ship. If people were notified that the previous cruise had a lot of shows canceled so they canceled theirs don’t you think they would be pissed to later find out that the one they were supposed to be on had most of the entertainment back? Royal wouldn’t be able to please everyone.

OP, I hope you are able to enjoy your cruise more and have a Happy Holiday and stay safe. 🥂🍾

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, gracia98 said:

FWIW, the current cruise on the Odyssey is running out of booze.  Vodka was low yesterday and completely out of drink mixers.  This is per some people I know currently on board. Not completely Royal’s fault. They were not allowed to dock in Curacao to replenish.

Now that’s a good reason for a mutiny. 😁 🥂🍾🍹

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, gracia98 said:

omg I can hear the Karen's now!

1 hour ago, gracia98 said:

But things are being cancelled, day by day. Not sure how far in advance the cruise planners are printed.

The one I saw was from December 23 or 24 it was a one page list of activities on the Christmas sailing.  No Hiro or Hairspray, but ice show and the Red Party and Silent party were listed, among others.  

Edited by afcgirl

6 hours ago, Gissi6 said:

Hi everyone,

I’m a long time lurker, and have gotten so much advice from reading posts from this forum over the year, so this is my attempt at giving back. 

Is Christmas day and I wasn’t expecting to be doing this but, is important for me to warn others.

I’m a long time cruiser, been on the Allure, Harmony and this week boarded the Symphony to introduce my fiancé to  cruising. My mistake!

He is having a good time overall, but we are bored out of our minds.

This is what we are currently dealing with, and this is a warning for others that are

on edge about cancelling their cruises. 

NO Aquatheather shows at all

NO Broadway shows

NO Latin Band or music whatsoever in Boleros

NO Parades (expected)

NO Dazzles

NO other clubs aka. the Attic (usual late venue)

NO On Air activities 

NO Sailaway party - we departed very late due to 2hr push on everyone’s check-in time for enhanced cleaning 

Entertainment is extremely thin, only Comedy shows, Headliners and the Ice Skating shows. I’ve visited guest services to complain and they say the entire entertainment crew is quarantined due close contact in prior sailing.

I understand the situation and I boarded expecting changes, but this is extreme. I haven’t visited the kids areas but, heard a mother having similar complaints due to kids/teens entertainment being closed. 

We’ve asked guest services to be allowed to disembark in Puerto Rico 4 days early and we are waiting on a reply. It seems to be against protocol so wish me luck… This will request if fulfilled is without any promise of a refund for the days unused. So it is completely on my expense.

This is my warning to others, do not board. Is not worth the risk/reward analysis. IMO

Happy to answer any other questions you have while I’m in the ship. I don’t have tons to do at night other than having dinner… 

we are also onboard and agree with everything you are saying. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, afcgirl said:

The one I saw was from December 23 or 24 it was a one page list of activities on the Christmas sailing.  No Hiro or Hairspray, but ice show and the Red Party and Silent party were listed, among others.  

Oh ok, different cruise. The one I am referring to is the Odyssey.  They first cancelled 2 shows and recently a 3rd.

• Like 3

Just now, Jimbo said:

But they are running out of booze.

That's supposedly on the Odyssey. See how easy it is to misquote and start rumors.

We have to remember that's from someone who knows someone....I am sure in an hour we will hear that they are out of food, toilet paper and the WJ won' be open for dinner!🤪😵🙉🙊🙈

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, afcgirl said:

On this sailing?  They just left two days ago, there must be a lot of drinking going on!  😃

Probably was suppose to pick up liquor at one of the ports they missed on the last cruise and to late to put in orders at Florida and get it delivered in time for this sailing because of holiday.

I'm sure we will hear more about this further into the cruise with more people bitching. Just amatter of time.

9 minutes ago, Jarmo said:

Sounds like BS.

It is. On Odyssey now, and they did run out of mix for pina coladas and coco locos (which makes sense with 2 unplanned sea days in good weather). They had to substitute mango frozen drinks (GASP, the HUMANITY). This is the last day of the cruise, and still plenty to drink 🙂 I do think the staff is stressed and likely on edge about what this coming week will be like. I don’t blame them, with so many ready to have an awful time before even boarding. I do have sympathy as I know many of us are just plain low on resilience after 2 years of this. But, to quote Steel Magnolias, “there are still good times to be had.” 

Merry Christmas to all 🎄

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Texxie said:

It is. On Odyssey now, and they did run out of mix for pina coladas and coco locos (which makes sense with 2 unplanned sea days in good weather). They had to substitute mango frozen drinks (GASP, the HUMANITY). This is the last day of the cruise, and still plenty to drink 🙂 I do think the staff is stressed and likely on edge about what this coming week will be like. I don’t blame them, with so many ready to have an awful time before even boarding. I do have sympathy as I know many of us are just plain low on resilience after 2 years of this. But, to quote Steel Magnolias, “there are still good times to be had.” 

Merry Christmas to all 🎄

Thank you so much for mention resilience. Such a key ingredient for coping and thriving when things go in a direction not expected. And, yes, it's been a long time (almost 2 full years) and resilience tanks are not what they used to be. And, yes, "good times are to be had" for sure. If I'm there, I'm going to have a good time. 🙂

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Plum Happy said:

I know this is your opinion, but you gotta chill.

You do realize that many people don't care about all that, it's the getting away and being at sea.  Many go away to beaches just to relax and not have a carry in the world to deal with for a week.  If they only went away because of shows, they would be in a world of trouble years ago when there weren't all those activities.

Most of the people who were infected will probably be released from quarantine after 10 days, so, things will be looking up since this is a mild infection.

True. For me Cruise is Good Food and Beautiful scenery from my usual Corner Aft Cabin. Cruising this year? After 22 Canceled Cruises Booked my B5B Cruises for Nov20-Dec23 knowing expecting much more in time of Covid changes can happen Daily and have for last couple months. To all a Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday's and stay Safe! 

We are ones who would be very disappointed in all the cancelled entertainment.  Some people rarely go to the shows.  But that’s not us. While it’s understandable right now it would be disappointing for a cruise especially one for which you paid a premium.  The last thing I want to do on a cruise is watch TV in my cabin.  This would not be the cruise experience I booked.
Royal has no control in what has happened. But they do have control on how they handle it. 

• Like 10