Live From Constellation - 12/23 Sailing

Andude2

Well folks - we’re checking in from Constellation, 2 nights in.  The Captain came on during the early seating to confirm that we have TWO Covid positive cases on board.  They, and their close contacts are quarantined, 

They have instructed the rest of us to enjoy the rest of the cruise…

I believe the Captain also highly recommended everyone where a mask. But I’m sure you all can imagine how well that guidance went over. As we were walking up the stairs from deck 4 to deck 11, we saw the elevator open on deck 5. There had to be at least 8-10 people in there with maybe 2-3 wearing masks!

Merry Christmas everyone!! 😂😂

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I’m so sorry to hear this, but sadly the new variant is raging.  We were blessed to spend 11 nights on the Connie ending earlier this month. It seemed carefree a few short weeks ago compared to this last week or so.  I was in NYC earlier this week for work. Covid is rampant.  I walked out of Grand Central Station and the line was over two blocks long waiting for a mobile Covid testing site.  On Thursday night I received a text message on my cell phone.from the NY Department of Health notifying me that contact tracing indicated that I had been in close proximity (less than 6 feet) for longer than 10 minutes with someone who tested positive for Covid.  Gratefully I am triple vaxxed and had extra Binax tests from my cruise. As of yesterday afternoon I am negative.  But, sadly, this is the new reality.  It’s also coming at such high capacity cruises this week.  I cannot imagine that Celebrity can continue to fly people home by private jet if this trend continues.

In retrospect the cruises are faring better than many places like NY.  

I was reading a report on the number of cases and they said to put it into perspective -  1% of the Population of NYC and NY State have tested positive.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was reading a report on the number of cases and they said to put it into perspective -  1% of the Population of NYC and NY State have tested positive.

Unfortunately, our dtr and sil tested pos. ( a few days after sil tested neg) Very light symptoms and quarantining at home on Long Island NY.  Cancelled a trip to Fl but othetwise ok so far.

The real downside where they live, is all other med care  has mostly been pushed aside at walk ins  and dr offices etc ..Testing is all that is being done and there is a shortage of test appts.and at home kits..long lines in the cold

Would rather be home than on a ship if we get sick. We are laying low in Fl! Where numbers are high but  seems mostly the new milder variant..long lines for  testing...in the sun.

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Just read on line that Long Island has a 13% positive rate..highest in NYS.

Gov promised more test sites and home kits..but roll out  seems slow. They are distributing to schools, still on break.  Kids were sent home with tablets in case they go remote.

This never ending nightnare reminds me of a Kurt Vonnegut  novel...

Currently on the Constellation ...

Celebrity has disembarked the passenger (a child) that tested positive for COVID yesterday and their immediate family. Their extended family is still onboard and have been quarantined. 

So ... as of now ... no confirmed cases onboard.

39 minutes ago, dcyonce said:

Currently on the Constellation ...

Celebrity has disembarked the passenger (a child) that tested positive for COVID yesterday and their immediate family. Their extended family is still onboard and have been quarantined. 

So ... as of now ... no confirmed cases onboard.

Thanks for the update. So the two C19 cases were associated with the child and someone in their immediate family? 

11 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I believe the Captain also highly recommended everyone where a mask. But I’m sure you all can imagine how well that guidance went over. As we were walking up the stairs from deck 4 to deck 11, we saw the elevator open on deck 5. There had to be at least 8-10 people in there with maybe 2-3 wearing masks!

Merry Christmas everyone!! 😂😂

Keep safe Ken and Merry Christmas.  People not wearing a mask in a crowded elevator just seems near-insane.

• Like 2

I just read that the Regent Seven Seas Mariner was denied the Cartagena port due to 7 cases on board (on Dec 22). I just checked the Navigational channel and we are still sailing ESE toward Colombia so fingers and toes are crossed we don’t have any more cases and can enjoy our 2 days in Cartagena. 

The cruise has been wonderful so far. The Blu staff is as good as ever. The live music has been top notch. Looking forward to the rest of the cruise. 

Edited by FFMilesJunkie

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Just read on line that Long Island has a 13% positive rate..highest in NYS.

Gov promised more test sites and home kits..but roll out  seems slow. They are distributing to schools, still on break.  Kids were sent home with tablets in case they go remote.

This never ending nightnare reminds me of a Kurt Vonnegut  novel...

How many will there be on the ship If it is 13%

Good Morning!

As others have more information than me, I'll leave the following nugget that I was told by medical staff this morning over coffee, and will bow out. 

What we all should remember is that we accept a certain amount of risk when coming on board.  This cruise has approximately 1,350 passengers on board.  The crew is vaxxed and triple vaxxed, and as of yesterday 953 crew members tested negative for Covid.  We will continue to enjoy our cruise, the ports, and the balmy weather! 

At breakfast this morning, I was informed that there were, in fact, two confirmed cases.  The first case was confirmed, and they contact traced that individual.  From there, they found the second case.  Both passengers were vaccinated, and as of this morning, the two confirmed cases and the extended contact traces remained in quarantine.

In no way am I trying to incite fear or hysteria in reporting the above.  I firmly believe in transparency, and was further informed that the medical staff was very surprised that the Captain made ANY announcement, as the numbers weren't high enough to warrant an announcement. 

The poster above is correct, the announcement did include a statement that they recommend wearing a mask, they strongly encourage frequent hand washing, and where possible, remain socially distanced. 

Be smart, do your part, and enjoy the cruise!  From here, I'm out as everyone will get different information and report different things.  The only thing we, as passengers can do, is take action and protect ourselves.  Cheers, and Happy Cruising!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update! When we talked with the CC rep this morning, she said the reason the applicable passengers weren’t flown home from Roatan was because by the time the complete diagnosis was made, it was too late to secure the medivac flight. However, she did say the current plan is to fly them home once we get to Cartagena.

• Like 1

I think the problem is getting the test 2 days prior.   Anything can happen during those 2 days especially if flying in after the test.  

Ideally they should still require the test 2 days prior for prescreening  to keep the port as safe as possible and then test the passengers before boarding.   Problem is that would be a logistic nightmare and still wouldn’t be 100% effective. 

The real solution is for passengers to be responsible and follow the rules as suggested but the big issue is the word. “suggested”.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2