Update from RCI re PCR testing for January

petuniaflower

FYI for Canadians cruising with RCI next month

Dear Guest,

We’re reaching out to update you on debark testing options for our international guests.

For sailings departing on or after January 5th, 2022, all international guests who require a re-entry test to return home can do so at the terminal via our testing partner. This is a fast and convenient "swab & go" option, with both Antigen and PCR available and test results in about 30-45 minutes, as you prepare to travel home. 

If you are sailing between January 5th through January 31st:

While we transition from onboard testing to our new terminal testing partner, we will cover the cost of this test for our international guests on sailings through January 31st, 2022. Once you debark, our vendors outside will be waiting to provide you with either a PCR or antigen test based on your home country’s testing requirement. You may also test at other locations outside the terminal, such as at the airport or a local pharmacy – the arrangement and cost for tests outside the terminal will be the guest’s expense and responsibility.

Guests sailing February 1st and beyond:

Starting on February 1st, 2022, guests who require a re-entry test to travel back home will be responsible for the cost of testing. The cost of testing in the terminal varies by port and test, starting at $105 per antigen test and $210 per PCR test. You can also take advantage of other testing options, like airport testing or testing at a local pharmacy. The arrangement and cost of these tests are the guest’s responsibility and should be paid directly to the test provider.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. We hope you have a wonderful holiday season and look forward to having you onboard soon!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Interesting, but not shocking development.  Kind of sucks having to add another rather pricey part of your vacation at end of trip but if you want to go, guess you gotta pay.  Feel sorry for families with a bunch of kids tagging along, that's going to hurt a lot.  Hopefully Canada will eventually drop back to a antigen test to come home, but not holding my breath on that any time soon either. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lisa&Neb said:

those prices are ridiculous. We have a flight at 11:40 day of disembarkation, so I guess we will have to suck it up and pay these prices. I'm not sure what our other options are going to be. 

You can get it done cheaper through Nomi Health at the airport. At Miami airport they charge $179 US and at Ft. Lauderdale airport I believe it's $159 per person. Still pricey but at least not $210 per person. Talk about highway robbery! Or you can try to get your hands on some of the Switch Health tests here at home and do proctored tests yourself. I believe they're $149 each but at least that's in Canadian funds. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ginnyfyr said:

You can get it done cheaper through Nomi Health at the airport. At Miami airport they charge $179 US and at Ft. Lauderdale airport I believe it's $159 per person. Still pricey but at least not $210 per person. Talk about highway robbery! Or you can try to get your hands on some of the Switch Health tests here at home and do proctored tests yourself. I believe they're $149 each but at least that's in Canadian funds. 

Our son got us 2 of the Switch PCR test for Christmas. We'll be bring them to our Caribbean AI this week along with a few of the free antigen tests. Mrs. Dawg thinks he got us the tests because he still loves us. I think he wants us to test positive so he has the house to himself for an extra couple of weeks. 🙂

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Well, the email we received today saying we now have to pay for PCR testing at a cost of at least $210 US per person after disembarking the ship to re-enter Canada, just plain sucks.  Easy to understand their decision...the less people testing positive ON the ship, the less cases are reported in the media and to the CDC.  A nice way to work around the CDC paramaters.

We do not cruise until March, so we hope that the requirement of a PCR test to reenter Canada for fully vaccinated Canadians is no longer around by then, but after 21 months of this, I would be surprised to see the requirement gone.  We have close to 70 Canadians going on that particular cruise in a group and everyone of them is now considering cancelling.  Too much stress not having the results when disembarking and not knowing if we will have the test results in time (not to mention an additional $1000 CAD cost for a family of 4).

Please fire off an email to  MBayley@rccl.com if you get a chance in the next couple of weeks.  His office is good at answering back.  If enough people complain, they may reconsider or make a compromise.

Mention the December 1st Return to Services 38-page document stated they would provide these free until the end of April.  Also mention that the price they are mentioning at the port is exorbitant and people who have already booked early flights under the assumption that RCCL Return to Services document may now have a difficult time getting results back in time for their flights.

As Canadians, I am sure everyone who decides to email will be polite.  Enjoy the rest of your holidays and let's hope that after Omricon burns itself out in a month or so, things will start to get back to what we all used to love about cruising.
  • Like 1

I have two cruises booked in March, between this and the stories I am hearing of how contagious omicron is I'm considering cancelling 😞 I have until February to decide since that's when I have to PIF. But this is frustrating, it's an additional $500 and the added worry about getting to the airport and getting a positive result, and having to deal with it then. I could get the switch tests to do before we get off the ship, but not sure the wifi will work well enough, and what if we get one of the tests that doesn't work. 

I was ready to deal with all of the testing, we went to Disney in October and managed, but now I just don't know. I'm not one who enjoys winter, and I was really looking forward to going south, getting back on a ship. I hope that things will work out but I'm losing faith that it will. 

14 hours ago, Russ Lomas said:

Well, the email we received today saying we now have to pay for PCR testing at a cost of at least $210 US per person after disembarking the ship to re-enter Canada, just plain sucks.  Easy to understand their decision...the less people testing positive ON the ship, the less cases are reported in the media and to the CDC.  A nice way to work around the CDC paramaters.

We do not cruise until March, so we hope that the requirement of a PCR test to reenter Canada for fully vaccinated Canadians is no longer around by then, but after 21 months of this, I would be surprised to see the requirement gone.  We have close to 70 Canadians going on that particular cruise in a group and everyone of them is now considering cancelling.  Too much stress not having the results when disembarking and not knowing if we will have the test results in time (not to mention an additional $1000 CAD cost for a family of 4).

Please fire off an email to  MBayley@rccl.com if you get a chance in the next couple of weeks.  His office is good at answering back.  If enough people complain, they may reconsider or make a compromise.

Mention the December 1st Return to Services 38-page document stated they would provide these free until the end of April.  Also mention that the price they are mentioning at the port is exorbitant and people who have already booked early flights under the assumption that RCCL Return to Services document may now have a difficult time getting results back in time for their flights.

As Canadians, I am sure everyone who decides to email will be polite.  Enjoy the rest of your holidays and let's hope that after Omricon burns itself out in a month or so, things will start to get back to what we all used to love about cruising.

Email sent. We are cancelling our b2b after much debate, including whether to drive to Galveston. It’s really not worth it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, broberts said:

My comment related to another post concerning the US$210 charge that will take effect in February 1st, 2022.

That's RCI, not Celebrity. While both are part of the Royal Caribbean Group, and they frequently adopt the same policies, RCI and Celebrity are separate corporations and operate independently.

Unlike RCI, Celebrity continues to provide tests on board, free for those who booked before November 16, 2021. Those booking after that date will pay $95 USD for a PCR test, $55 USD for an antingen test.

43 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That's RCI, not Celebrity. While both are part of the Royal Caribbean Group, and they frequently adopt the same policies, RCI and Celebrity are separate corporations and operate independently.

Unlike RCI, Celebrity continues to provide tests on board, free for those who booked before November 16, 2021. Those booking after that date will pay $95 USD for a PCR test, $55 USD for an antingen test.

I wouldn’t want to pay $95 for a pcr test at the end of my cruise but even that’s a steal of a deal compared to the $210 RCL is going to charge us.

What a joke…

• Like 1

Given that our sailing is on Jan 20 we fall into the grace period so that works well for us.  We are pleased that is the case and the cost of the PCR test is picked up by RCCL.  This is our first cruise so it is fantastic to not have to fork out for the test.

With that said their prices for Rapid PCR tests are out of whack.  The Switch Health kits are definitely more attractive.  

As a comparison we paid 149 USD each for testing in Las Vegas and 1945 Mexican Peso (a little over 120 Cdn) for testing in the Rivera Maya.  Neither were rapid PCR though, results within 24 hrs in each case.

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Celebrity is not including the tests for those booked before November 16th. I emailed them specifically to inquire about this and received a reply stating that the testing cost is not included regardless of your booking date. If it's included on our cruise next month it will be a pleasant surprise, but we're fully expecting to have to shell out $95 each for a test. 

26 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

Celebrity is not including the tests for those booked before November 16th. I emailed them specifically to inquire about this and received a reply stating that the testing cost is not included regardless of your booking date. If it's included on our cruise next month it will be a pleasant surprise, but we're fully expecting to have to shell out $95 each for a test. 

From the celebrity website:

image.thumb.png.f92315751848584155905d35c7d87da8.png

1 hour ago, Ginnyfyr said:

This seems so typical of Celebrity, with the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. From what office in Celebrity did you receive the email? 

I was going to quote the Health & Safety Protocols webpage information, but I see that @Froufie has already done so. Those wishing to read it on the website can do so here: https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/health-and-safety

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

This seems so typical of Celebrity, with the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. From what office in Celebrity did you receive the email? 

I was going to quote the Health & Safety Protocols webpage information, but I see that @Froufie has already done so. Those wishing to read it on the website can do so here: https://www.celebritycruises.com/ca/health-and-safety

The email came from their chat department. However, I just used their online chat feature and the agent told me that testing IS included for bookings made before November 16th, so hopefully this one had accurate information. I'm sure if I ask again tomorrow I'll get a different answer!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ginnyfyr said:

The email came from their chat department. However, I just used their online chat feature and the agent told me that testing IS included for bookings made before November 16th, so hopefully this one had accurate information. I'm sure if I ask again tomorrow I'll get a different answer!

LOL. Keeping my fingers crossed for you! 🤞

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2021 at 4:17 PM, Russ Lomas said:

Edited by mama-of-three
Double posted. Please delete this incomplete post.

Russ, the email you posted links to MMani@rccl.com not MBailey@rccl.com does this matter?  I would like to send an email. I booked cruise with confidence expecting the pcr tests through RCL at no cost and covering to get us home if we tested positive. 

We are booked for March 20 and waiting to see how it plays out as we get closer.