eMed Covid tests - best time to take? laptop or phone?

rm1247

10 minutes ago, mein18 said:

We picked up an arm that clamps onto a table or desk on Amazon for around $15 so you can angle the phone almost as if you were doing a selfie. The proctor needs to see your face and your desktop at the same time. Be sure you get the type that grips the phone so you can angle it downwards.

Is this what you are posting about https://www.amazon.com/SHAWE-Phone-Holder-Gooseneck-Mount/dp/B083BRX7D6/ref=sr_1_23?crid=V2N5HFY0N1KE&keywords=arm+that+clamps+onto+table+for+cellphone&qid=1640654612&sprefix=arm+that+clamps+onto+table+for+cellphone%2Caps%2C107&sr=8-23

26 minutes ago, SherriZ366 said:

That will work perfectly. Holds phone tight and can face it from above so the proctor can see both you and the test at the same time. You also need to show your ID to the proctor so allows you to hold it up to the phone for their viewing.

7 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I just had my laptop on the kitchen table. I pushed it back far enough to make room for the test materials. When it was time, I just bent the screen down so that the camera was aimed at the table.

This is what I did with my Chromebook, too.  I can't imagine trying to hold the phone/camera steady and with the right framing to show everything for the full 20+ minutes. My hand would cramp up something fierce, not to mention I do the test solo, and there's no way to do that one-handed.

I'm not really understanding why someone else reported difficulty with using a laptop.  Keep it fully upright during the testing to show the proctor the test's QR code and my ID and the nose-swabbing process, then tilt the screen down to show the test lying on the table during the 15-minute "cook time".

I guess if you have a loose hinge on your laptop, it might be a problem (not holding partially open), but a properly functioning laptop shouldn't have any problem.

One thing I did do, after all the swabbing and test-construction was done, was move my computer and the test itself back away from the edge of the table, because the swab (which is ridiculously long for the short length of actual insertion) was dangling over the edge of the table and I didn't want to take a chance of bumping it and invalidating the test.  I just told the proctor what I was going to do, and slid both items at the same time so the test stayed in view of the proctor the entire time.

I read about people having issues with their name on ID matching what they set up in the account...something about middle names?  What ID do you use?  License?  So if your middle name is on the license you need to add middle name to the account?  It was mentioned that there is not a place to add middle name but proctor said to add it in first name box with a space.  This person reported that they could not proceed with test because of this, had to edit the account then log in again to get a new proctor.  From those who have done this...any insight?

6 hours ago, misslab said:

I read about people having issues with their name on ID matching what they set up in the account...something about middle names?  What ID do you use?  License?  So if your middle name is on the license you need to add middle name to the account?  It was mentioned that there is not a place to add middle name but proctor said to add it in first name box with a space.  This person reported that they could not proceed with test because of this, had to edit the account then log in again to get a new proctor.  From those who have done this...any insight?

I used my passport as my ID, which has my first and middle names.

My Navica account only has my first name.

Nothing was ever said about them "not matching".

My wife and I both took the test at the same time, at our kitchen island, and on two different laptops. The process was very simple and went okay. The only major issue we had was my wife's laptop camera had an issue with reading the QR code to confirm the test. After about five minutes of moving the card around and changing the room lighting, the camera finally found the QR code. We staggered are times a little so that she was talking to the proctor while I was waiting the 15 minutes. In addition to the phone app, we took printed copies of our results. If I remember correctly, the app was sufficient. We are cruising again next week. We are taking both printed copies and the app on our phones.

Edited by Mdcwlaf

On 12/27/2021 at 9:14 AM, mein18 said:

When you got your results, did it come up with the correct time, meaning 6:30 am Central time?  I was planning on doing ours sometime after midnight and being we are in the Eastern time, didn't want it to show up with Pacific time which would be the date of the prior day here. Since RCL goes by date and not time, that makes a huge difference.

We did our test yesterday and the results showed the time we took the test. We live on the east coast. We used our cell phone.

Edited by lovesthebeach2

34 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We did our test yesterday and the results showed the time we took the test. We live on the east coast. We used our cell phone.

What time did you take the test and what time is shown on your results? From previous posts appears it uses UTC time which is 5 hours ahead of us on the east coast.

14 hours ago, brillohead said:

This is what I did with my Chromebook, too.  I can't imagine trying to hold the phone/camera steady and with the right framing to show everything for the full 20+ minutes. My hand would cramp up something fierce, not to mention I do the test solo, and there's no way to do that one-handed.

I'm not really understanding why someone else reported difficulty with using a laptop.  Keep it fully upright during the testing to show the proctor the test's QR code and my ID and the nose-swabbing process, then tilt the screen down to show the test lying on the table during the 15-minute "cook time".

I guess if you have a loose hinge on your laptop, it might be a problem (not holding partially open), but a properly functioning laptop shouldn't have any problem.

One thing I did do, after all the swabbing and test-construction was done, was move my computer and the test itself back away from the edge of the table, because the swab (which is ridiculously long for the short length of actual insertion) was dangling over the edge of the table and I didn't want to take a chance of bumping it and invalidating the test.  I just told the proctor what I was going to do, and slid both items at the same time so the test stayed in view of the proctor the entire time.

Thanks -- These instructions are very complete.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pasta1 said:

When you set up the NAVICA account can you have yourself and spouse in the same account and if not doing  seperate  AVICA account can you use the same email address?

we each had our own account.  Did it on our computers, me on my laptop and dh on his desktop with a separate webcam.  Did it shortly after midnight in our time zone and got out negative result email almost immediately and printed them out.  They are also on our Navica apps.

4 hours ago, pasta1 said:

When you set up the NAVICA account can you have yourself and spouse in the same account and if not doing  seperate  AVICA account can you use the same email address?

I believe you can set up a "managed" account with multiple profiles (people/family members) on the same account.

12 hours ago, njkruzer said:

we each had our own account.  Did it on our computers, me on my laptop and dh on his desktop with a separate webcam.  Did it shortly after midnight in our time zone and got out negative result email almost immediately and printed them out.  They are also on our Navica apps.

Thank you, I just set up our accounts, thanks again  for everyones information.

The test proctors are in India, so time isn't an issue. The most important thing I learned is that you need to have a device that can lean forward enough for the testing to be visible and stable so you can use both hands for the testing. I was using an iMac that doesn't tilt forward enough, so I had to quickly put a towel under the computer and put my test on a box in order for it to be visible. A phone will have the same problem if you can't prop it so it's facing down, as well as a tablet, which most tablet covers don't allow you to do. The other advice is practice with QR codes, making sure your device camera works well to read them and that the camera can auto-focus on a driver's license and the results of your test on the card. Another thing I found is that the liquid is hidden well within the packaging and in a small tube, so I had a moment of panic when I couldn't feel it in the packaging when told to open my test. The Indian proctor was also confused by my driver's license showing a middle name, whereas the Navica account didn't. Finally, some people struggle with the app, but it's easier for me just to go into the emed site. 

On 12/27/2021 at 6:50 PM, SherriZ366 said:

Here is a picture of my cell phone holder?  Could this be used to keep me

Could the turquoise cell phone holder, pictured below, be used to angle the phone correctly so the proctor can see what he or she needs to see? 

I don't have an easel.   

Cell Phone holder.jpg

Do a test by setting your phone up in your holder and the put a notecard down on the table where you will be testing to see if you have a good view of the note card and yourself. That will give you an idea of how to angle your phone for the actual test. I had to have my iPad pushed back on my table always from me to get what I needed to have it view. 

On 12/27/2021 at 7:50 PM, SherriZ366 said:

Here is a picture of my cell phone holder?  Could this be used to keep me

Could the turquoise cell phone holder, pictured below, be used to angle the phone correctly so the proctor can see what he or she needs to see? 

I don't have an easel.   

Cell Phone holder.jpg

This may not work since you need to have your camera facing downward from a higher level to catch both you and your test at the same time.  I purchased an arm that connects to my desk and grips my phone.

On 12/28/2021 at 6:24 AM, misslab said:

For both DH and me....tested on Wednesday.....middle name had to be on Navica app as that what was shown on our ID. Had to update Navica and call back 15 min later. 

9 minutes ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

For both DH and me....tested on Wednesday.....middle name had to be on Navica app as that what was shown on our ID. Had to update Navica and call back 15 min later. 

Thanks for the heads up.  We have to do ours on Thursday so I am going to check now to be sure all is the same.

6 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Is this for the Navica account because they do not ask  for middle name  or is this for the  Novica app only as we will not use the app, just the email printed copy.