Can you bring a full sized suitcase on board and skip the porter.

ronheg

8 minutes ago, ronheg said:

I am hearing scary stories of passengers testing positive.  Can we bring a full sized suitcase with us and skip the porters.

It has to fit in an x ray machine (not a metal detector...passengers, not luggage, go through the metal detector) similar in size to those used to screen carry-ons in airports, so a full size suitcase isn't likely to fit.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ronheg said:

I am hearing scary stories of passengers testing positive.  Can we bring a full sized suitcase with us and skip the porters.

Your bag has to fit through a standard airport X-ray machine. 

Most of your fellow passengers would prefer you not try dragging a suitcase into Covid testing (which is not designed for suitcases), not up the gangway where all the macho guys struggle, not in the elevators full of embarking passengers, and not through the dining rooms. Just check it with the porters. 

• Like 1

On our Getaway TA cruise embarking at Rome/Citvitavecchia port on Dec. 5, there was no porter around for luggages when we got off our van taxi.  That was around 11am. We did see a few porters with some racks of luggages further ahead, but did not see them coming back for many of us beginning to line up.

There were hundreds of us lining up for initial check in, covid test, waiting for results, then NCL check in, and then hauling luggages up to the cruise.

Edited by Middleager

you most certainly can.  I've never checked a bag with a porter.  My first cruise, I didn't know any better.  Ever since, I've purposely carried my own bags on and off.  I check my bag into the bag check area once on the ship then go have lunch.  I find that if I show up around Noon, there is pretty much no line to get checked in and by the time I'm finished lunch (or soon after), the rooms are ready

• Like 1

We are going on a 12 day b2b...flying into Orlando...attempting to pack everything into a carryon and a personal item (for each of us)....and keeping all my stuff with me at all times! 😉... (also, we are mailing a box with shampoo, conditioner, sunscreen, shaving lotion, etc to ourselves at the hotel, cuts down on the hassle of those tiny 3oz tubes)

I might be more inclined to downsize the luggage.  I used a 20" and 22" bag on my recent cruise.  I carried the 20" and checked the 22" both on the plane and at the cruise terminal.  Both would have fit through the X Ray had I wanted.  I have a third bag which is considerably larger which I left home.  I was concerned about checking my CPAP and meds so kept those (and a limited amount of clothes in case of emergency) were in the smaller bag.

Edited by phillygwm

8 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why not just take your bags to Covid testing and then check them prior to boarding?  With all that social distancing being enforced at testing, your bag isn't going to inconvenience anybody.

In November, there was no social distancing in the tents in Orlando.  They seated us side by side to await our results.

22 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It has to fit in an x ray machine (not a metal detector...passengers, not luggage, go through the metal detector) similar in size to those used to screen carry-ons in airports, so a full size suitcase isn't likely to fit.

Metal detectors, x-Ray machines…. I’ve heard it both ways.  😁😜

23 hours ago, Travelicious said:

In November, there was no social distancing in the tents in Orlando.  They seated us side by side to await our results.

So, that was our experience. Rows of chairs close together where it would be impossible to roll a full size suitcase. There was no social distancing. 

I go back to there are 10’s and 10’s of thousands of people who cruise each week. Very very very very few have any COVID issues.

On 12/26/2021 at 9:06 PM, BirdTravels said:

Most of your fellow passengers would prefer you not try dragging a suitcase into Covid testing (which is not designed for suitcases), not up the gangway where all the macho guys struggle, not in the elevators full of embarking passengers, and not through the dining rooms. Just check it with the porters. 

It matters not a whit what other passengers choose to do regarding luggage @BirdTravels!  There was plenty of space in the COVID testing area for baggage on my recent cruise.  I didn't see any "macho guys struggling" up the gangway; didn't encounter any elevators "full of embarking passengers" with bags [nor do I care]; and wheeled my bag right up to the table for lunch.  If you don't like it, fine, but don't speak for the rest of us.