Is it possible would it help?

Laurie997

Hey all!!!

I was just thinking I know Royal requires pre Covid tests 2 days prior and “weekly” testing for staff. Couldn’t they offer a same day rapid test to all? Just a question I’m not that up on Covid testing I have had both shots and have had my booster. I feel horrible the cruise lines just started up not to long ago and we sail on HOTS 1-23 and just got back 12-12. Absolutely love love love cruising 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Laurie997 said:

Hey all!!!

I was just thinking I know Royal requires pre Covid tests 2 days prior and “weekly” testing for staff. Couldn’t they offer a same day rapid test to all? Just a question I’m not that up on Covid testing I have had both shots and have had my booster. I feel horrible the cruise lines just started up not to long ago and we sail on HOTS 1-23 and just got back 12-12. Absolutely love love love cruising 

If they tesedt everyone onboard or at the pier (which they can), the positive numbers would be sky high.  Then you can say goodbye to any port stops.  If the ships can not dock anywhere then cruising halts.  Two days prior testing is not good enough to detect the new variant which is highly contagious and can be transmitted in a matter of a few days.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

If they tesedt everyone onboard or at the pier (which they can), the positive numbers would be sky high.  Then you can say goodbye to any port stops.  If the ships can not dock anywhere then cruising halts.  Two days prior testing is not good enough to detect the new variant which is highly contagious and can be transmitted in a matter of a few days.  

Not to mention that test kits are in short supply. I don’t know that RCI would even have the ability to get that number of kits to the ports on such short notice. 

• Like 1

...and the cost is not cheap...(And logistics are even more problematic...)

If you are talking about an Oasis class ship with a full capacity of 5500 and you are sailing at 65% full that is about 3,600 people.  Add in the 2,200 crew on board and you have about 5,800 people to test.  At an average wholesale cost of $20 (Somebody has to pay...) that is an  expense of about $115,000 for ONE ROUND of testing...!

I think that is why RCI is pushing the onus upstream to the cruising public.  "You test you and we will test crew"

Edited by bgoff60
clarity
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, zoepipes said:

I understand that Norwegian does that and you're not hearing the horror stories about those cruises. . .

Correct NCL only takes fully vaccinated passengers and does the test at the pier.  There have been no horror stories on ships like on RCI and Carnival. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Correct NCL only takes fully vaccinated passengers and does the test at the pier.  There have been no horror stories on ships like on RCI and Carnival. 

NCL is discontinuing tests at the pier after January 31, and will be requiring guests to take their own, just like the rest of the cruise lines.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bgoff60 said:

...and the cost is not cheap...(And logistics are even more problematic...)

If you are talking about an Oasis class ship with a full capacity of 5500 and you are sailing at 65% full that is about 3,600 people.  Add in the 2,200 crew on board and you have about 5,800 people to test.  At an average wholesale cost of $20 (Somebody has to pay...) that is an  expense of about $115,000 for ONE ROUND of testing...!

I think that is why RCI is pushing the onus upstream to the cruising public.  "You test you and we will test crew"

Wholesale cost of the Covid tests are a fraction of that-- they're closer to $2 than $20.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, zoepipes said:

I understand that Norwegian does that and you're not hearing the horror stories about those cruises. . .

We were on the NCL JOY Nov 20 - Dec 4. 2021. We were tested at the pier before we boarded. There were only about 1,600 passengers. No mask, no social distancing. 

Now is a different time and C19 variance. 

I am reading RCI, NCL, MSC, Celebrity and Princess CC.

Yes, each cruise line is reporting cases. So far,  we have heard of 50 to 75 cases on a ship. 

Where are all these horror stories? 

Stay Safe! 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Oxo said:

We were on the NCL JOY Nov 20 - Dec 4. 2021. We were tested at the pier before we boarded. There were only about 1,600 passengers. No mask, no social distancing. 

Now is a different time and C19 variance. 

I am reading RCI, NCL, MSC, Celebrity and Princess CC.

Yes, each cruise line is reporting cases. So far,  we have heard of 50 to 75 cases on a ship. 

Where are all these horror stories? 

Stay Safe! 

Most of the cases are coming from RCI ships.  The ships requiring fully vaccinated passengers and testing at pier don't have as many cases. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laurie997 said:

Hey all!!!

So lots fewer could board? Or you want to pay more for your cruise? Or have the cruiseline pay when they are hurting for money? While covid test kits are scarce and hard to buy the cruiselines should buy up the scarce supply? Where are you getting the extra crew from who are busy fogging cabins and such and already people complaining not enough service, you want to pull them from other jobs? Let's complicate boarding even more. 

Please no. Just no. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

So lots fewer could board? Or you want to pay more for your cruise? Or have the cruiseline pay when they are hurting for money? While covid test kits are scarce and hard to buy the cruiselines should buy up the scarce supply? Where are you getting the extra crew from who are busy fogging cabins and such and already people complaining not enough service, you want to pull them from other jobs? Let's complicate boarding even more. 

Please no. Just no. 

You have a very valid point. 

What is the answer? 

What can be done? 

There is no single answer. This is beyond control. JMHO!

STAY SAFE and Happy New Year!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bgoff60 said:

Source??  

A close family member who works for a company that makes a test.  They are all very aware of where their price points are, and their competition's. 

For obvious reasons, I'm not going to get more specific than that on a public board.

• Like 2

Would be ideal, but not sure possible, to test everyone at the port before you can board.  Testing 2 days prior worked with delta, but the new variant is too transmissible. So likely people test negative, then travel to get to the port, and 2 days later they have it and board the ship.  PCR test even more ideal but not possible with timing and cost.

Edited by LuCruise

1 hour ago, zoepipes said:

Maybe you missed the fiasco in new orleans? The next pax didnt board until late that  night with no food or drink offered those who sat for 10 hours in the terminal. Ncl handledmit rather awful. 

1 hour ago, zoepipes said:

Plus NCL does not disclose to passengers when there are positive crew and passengers onboard like RCL does.     

Carnival doesn't either.     Carnival will simply say a small number of people but won't say an actual number.   

If you view the CDC color coding system NCL has plenty of ships sailing in code yellow just like all the others.    Maybe Royal would be better if they weren't upfront/transparent in telling passengers but I personally wouldn't want that.   I prefer to know than hide like NCL, Carnival and others do. 

• Like 2

Having access to enough tests may soon be an issue even if testing 2 days before cruising. I agree that testing at the pier would result in more positive cases and many being denied boarding. There have to be a certain number of passengers sailing for the cruise to at least break even on the sailing.

9 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Plus NCL does not disclose to passengers when there are positive crew and passengers onboard like RCL does.     

To be fair, you only hear about positive cases when someone goes digging or the issue is bad enough they get turned away from a port. Every RCI ship sailing from the US (except Enchantment and Serenade) has at least .1% cases on board (if you believe the CDC numbers) but you don't hear about the rest of the ships.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Laurie997 said:

It was just a thought. This is just so disheartening truly it is. I would pay the $99 fee just to be safe PRIOR to boarding if that was even possible. Lord help us all!

Not possible:

day 1- exposure

day 3 on average- symptoms

day 5 on average- antigen test will start to show positive

you may be contagious before you show symptoms even

My girlfriend just got her pcr test back from the symptoms right after the Odyssey cruise and it was positive so that is two not counted. The 1% on these ships is nowhere close to accurate to who gets covid on a sailing.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Maybe you missed the fiasco in new orleans? The next pax didnt board until late that  night with no food or drink offered those who sat for 10 hours in the terminal. Ncl handledmit rather awful. 

No, I did not read that. That is why I asked. I will have to search for that one. 

Thanks. 

Stay Safe and Happy New Year!

1 hour ago, bgoff60 said:

Source??  

A google search of antigen tests whole sale prices yields a number of results as low as $3.95 per test, with a number of businesses not posting pricing, but instead providing price by quotes only.  Usually a business can contract at a lower price than open market wholesale price.  I would not be surprised if a company like a cruise line could buy tests in the 2-3 dollar per test range.   Certainly much closer to $2 than $20.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RoyalC said:

Not possible:

day 1- exposure

day 3 on average- symptoms

day 5 on average- antigen test will start to show positive

you may be contagious before you show symptoms even

My girlfriend just got her pcr test back from the symptoms right after the Odyssey cruise and it was positive so that is two not counted. The 1% on these ships is nowhere close to accurate to who gets covid on a sailing.

Praying for your friend hope she is ok