Which nights are formal?

jipsy

Hi Fellow Cruisers

On a 35 night cruise I assume there will be 10 formal evenings and a tropical night.

I remember that I found a list of which nights were formal or themed BEFORE I went on a cruise but I cannot find it anywhere now and it may not have been a P&O cruise.

Do P&O supply that info or do I have to wait until I'm on board? Although the latter doesn't help with packing.

1 hour ago, jipsy said:

Hi Fellow Cruisers

On a 35 night cruise I assume there will be 10 formal evenings and a tropical night.

I remember that I found a list of which nights were formal or themed BEFORE I went on a cruise but I cannot find it anywhere now and it may not have been a P&O cruise.

Do P&O supply that info or do I have to wait until I'm on board? Although the latter doesn't help with packing.

I don't think there will be 10 formal nights on a 35 night cruise, I'd be surprised if you had more than 6.   

Sorry I can't be more helpful, I'm sure someone will come along with the proper number soon.

41 minutes ago, Waju said:

I don't think there will be 10 formal nights on a 35 night cruise, I'd be surprised if you had more than 6.   

Sorry I can't be more helpful, I'm sure someone will come along with the proper number soon.

Apart from Iona all P&O ships usually have 2 formal nights per week, so in theory a 5 week cruise will be 10.

49 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We did one of the 35 night cruises in 2016.

There weren’t as many as 10 formal nights. From memory, more like 7-8.

That is our experience too, we have done several 35 night cruises and never had 10 formals. Most of the formals will be while crossing the Atlantic and back, sometimes they are changed last minute if the sea is rough. We only ever had 1 formal while in the Caribbean/USA and that was a sea day. As already mentioned it should be on cruise personaliser, they are usually marked on each days itinerary.

49 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Cruise Personaliser showed the formal night for our September staycation.  But there was nothing on there regarding the formal nights for our Ventura cruise earlier this month.  Nothing re formal nights showing for our cruise in February either.

They only seem to appear in the two weeks before departing.

7 hours ago, Waju said:

Don't know which cruise you are on, but we are on a 35 nighter in February and am assuming there will be 9 formal nights. This is based on sea days and previous cruises of that length. Of course due to covid it may be different. But then I presume your no more or less likely to contract covid in a tuxedo or an evening gown than in smart casual. I have often wondered being a guy what they would say if I turned up in a party dress as P&O always say " On formal nights gentlemen a tux or dark suit and ladies an evening gown" I assume that nowhere in the formal evening dress code does it say a gentleman cannot wear a dress. Not that I'm that way inclined. But I did have a phone call when I was at work. The phone rang and a voice said " Is that Shirley ?" I replied " Only at weekends"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cruisemeister2002 said:

Don't know which cruise you are on, but we are on a 35 nighter in February and am assuming there will be 9 formal nights. This is based on sea days and previous cruises of that length. Of course due to covid it may be different. But then I presume your no more or less likely to contract covid in a tuxedo or an evening gown than in smart casual. I have often wondered being a guy what they would say if I turned up in a party dress as P&O always say " On formal nights gentlemen a tux or dark suit and ladies an evening gown" I assume that nowhere in the formal evening dress code does it say a gentleman cannot wear a dress. Not that I'm that way inclined. But I did have a phone call when I was at work. The phone rang and a voice said " Is that Shirley ?" I replied " Only at weekends"

I have heard a story of a chap turning up on Black & White night wearing a white dress.  We were told it was a previously owned dress.  Second hand information though.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2021 at 9:05 AM, purplesea said:

Aren't they on your Cruise Personaliser (or My P&O Cruises as they call it now)? I looked at our booking yesterday and they are under each day on the calendar.

Thank you for all your replies.

Sorry but I've looked on my cruise personalizer and I cant find them.

I've looked under itinerary, then by day and by week. Under dress code it says for more info. it says select "before you sail" then "important to know" and then "packing" but this just tell you about packing, not how many nights are formal.

1 hour ago, jipsy said:

I've looked under itinerary, then by day and by week. Under dress code it says for more info. it says select "before you sail" then "important to know" and then "packing" but this just tell you about packing, not how many nights are formal.

Sorry I still can't be more help but it may be easy to work out from your itinerary - they (almost) certainly won't be on the first night or the last night or a port day - how many days do you have left 😉

1 hour ago, jipsy said:

Be prepared, whatever that means to you. My missis always took a different dress per formal night on 2 week cruises whereas she will now double up on long cruises since I made her carry her own case😁.

• Haha 2

I have just come off the Christmas cruise on Ventura and the Formal (now Celebration) nights were on the cruise personaliser a couple of week before departure. I made my plans (speciality dining) accordingly but when on board, the days were changed

- for no apparent reason - so, be warned!

• Thanks 1

Hi, on our 28 night carribean in January 2018 there were 8 formal nights. We both enjoy them very much usually, but the last couple were a bit tedious,  amounting to roughly every third evening on sea days. Current restrictions may have a bearing, of course. 

• Thanks 1