Are gaiters allowed in the cruise terminal instead of facemasks?

vermonter16

3 hours ago, RichYak said:

That was my understanding. I'm wondering why the earlier poster chose to indicated that they were "different" from N95 masks, when in the end the filtration is the same. Are they not the same for the purposes of protection from Covid?

Because they’re not the same. KN95 masks do not seal like a properly fitted N95 does. So while the mask part filters out particles just as well air can leak in through the sides completely unfiltered.

Worthless or not, they are allowed, and there are three gentlemen on silhouette now wearing very dare-I-say elegant ones.  They appear to be satin.  Or some other drapey stylish fabric.  And I saw one woman yesterday with what seemed to be a sports team motif on hers.

31 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Worthless or not, they are allowed, and there are three gentlemen on silhouette now wearing very dare-I-say elegant ones.  They appear to be satin.  Or some other drapey stylish fabric.  And I saw one woman yesterday with what seemed to be a sports team motif on hers.

A gaiter will be as effective in protecting you from getting or spreading Omicron as a necktie.  Or earrings.  Maybe fashionable but not protective.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

I can’t argue that one way or the other, I can only say that they are allowed.

Thanks for the information.

That and lack of enforcement by Celebrity I read about may push us to cancel next month.. Still on the fence. 

On 1/1/2022 at 9:22 AM, RichYak said:

That was my understanding. I'm wondering why the earlier poster chose to indicated that they were "different" from N95 masks, when in the end the filtration is the same. Are they not the same for the purposes of protection from Covid?

KN95 masks are certified to a Chinese standard while N95 masks are certified to a US standard.   While allegedly similar it is estimated that 60% of KN95 masks sold in the US are counterfit.   Also keep in mind that the 95% filtration standard of 3 microns (the COVID virus is 1 micron) is only of value for a fitted (meaning somebody tests for fit after proper placement) mask.    Also keep in mind that a N95 is certified to that standard as a 1 time use item.

A KN95 mask is likely to helpful but don't overestimate what it is designed for.  

Edited by CruiseRQA

There is a discount chain near us that sells these very elegant gaiters.  Look really sharp and can't beat the price..  Definitely cruise worthy, especially on the Evening Chic nights and for Silent Disco.  

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

elegant, satin gaiters with a motif, oh how charming.

3 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

So if not fitted and if used twice it’s no good, and its possibly counterfeit to boot and somehow that’s better than cloth masks, gaiters etc?  

Yes, much much better. Any other questions?

• Haha 2

On 12/31/2021 at 10:33 AM, Lastdance said:

There are enough gators in Florida, so stay away from them!

Having never heard of a gaitor, I thought maybe the thought was to bring a comfort gator on board.  That way distancing would be no problem at all....😀

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

An "elegant gaiter" is an oxymoron.  It's the equivalent of saying a "delicate sumo wrestler".

Reminds of that old saying: making a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/31/2021 at 7:54 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Pretty much the same.   My understanding is the KN masks is a China Standard and N95 is a U.S. Standard.   Each country has a specific standard for their masks.

According to mask manufacturer 3M, “it is reasonable to consider” China’s KN95s “equivalent” to US N95s. Mask standards for Europe (FFP2), Australia (P2), Korea (KMOEL), and Japan (DS) are also very similar.

See chart for similarities and differences

image.thumb.png.d842d912c4a833d74ef9a0d9f84da087.png

Purchased KN95 masks direct from China. a few months ago.  They are made to fit with a extra cut nose guard and  tuck under the chin.  Surprisingly, comfortable to wear.as it does not touch the mouth concerning breathing.   Thanks for the confirmation vs N95.

Edited by Missymo