QM2 - What was different...

fourmile.ranch

Ok, a break from the back and forth about whether the Caribbean Celebration was a disaster or not (spoiler alert... it wasn't). I tried to make a note of what was different onboard and I'll list as many as I can remember. If you were onboard please add on. 

Stateroom:

-Ice bucket and 'Welcome Back' note missing. Pol Acker and 2 glasses in mini fridge.

-Mini fridge empty save for above. Also water bottle 'for purchase' usually found near tea kettle also gone. 

-Cotton balls and ear swabs gone from bathroom

-All Penhaligon mini products removed and replaced with large refillable bottles - no bar soap. Liquid soap, body wash, shampoo and lotion. Heard others had conditioner. 

Mareel Spa (men's locker room)

- Obviously Canyon Ranch soaps and shampoos, replaced with more of those large Penhaligon pumpers

- No mouthwash, disposable razors, ear swabs, lotion or any grooming products available 

- No juices in the 'lounge'/quiet room area, only a water dispenser 

- Techs promoting their pricing (10% off 1st session, 20% off second, 30% off third). Note to these new kids at Mareel: 10% off first session? Just lower your prices 10% and let us get on with life.

- (btw - no noticeable improvements made to spa)

King's Court 

- buffet smaller with only about half the stations open

- you cannot put food on your own plate, fill cereal, etc.

- all drink stations closed. You had to find a manned station and have them make a drink for you

- all juice poured from boxes

- closed at 9:00pm

Golden Lion

- beer list shortened

Tours office

- behind-the-scenes tours not offered during pandemic 

Travel office

- closed, future cruise deposits made over phone.

Kennels

- closed, gates/rail coverings removed and deck space opened to foot traffic

Halls

- games available for checkout, no longer out on tables 

Photographers

- much more toned down presence. No boarding photos, etc.

Shops

- no sales/events in hallway

- liquor could be bought from duty-free and taken to stateroom immediately 

Britannica Dining Room 

(File this under 'What hasn't changed') Asking if you would like to share a table with others while eating was jarring in light of all the social distancing efforts in place elsewhere 

What have I missed?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, fourmile.ranch said:

Ok, a break from the back and forth about whether the Caribbean Celebration was a disaster or not (spoiler alert... it wasn't). I tried to make a note of what was different onboard and I'll list as many as I can remember. If you were onboard please add on. 

Stateroom:

-Ice bucket and 'Welcome Back' note missing. Pol Acker and 2 glasses in mini fridge.

-Mini fridge empty save for above. Also water bottle 'for purchase' usually found near tea kettle also gone. 

-All Penhaligon mini products removed and replaced with large refillable bottles - no bar soap. Liquid soap, body wash, shampoo and lotion. Heard others had conditioner. 

- Obviously Canyon Ranch soaps and shampoos, replaced with more of those large Penhaligon pumpers

- No mouthwash, disposable razors, ear swabs, lotion or any grooming products available 

- No juices in the 'lounge'/quiet room area, only a water dispenser 

- Techs promoting their pricing (10% off 1st session, 20% off second, 30% off third). Note to these new kids at Mareel: 10% off first session? Just lower your prices 10% and let us get on with life.

- (btw - no noticeable improvements made to spa)

King's Court 

- buffet smaller with only about half the stations open

- you cannot put food on your own plate, fill cereal, etc.

- all drink stations closed. You had to find a manned station and have them make a drink for you

- all juice poured from boxes

- closed at 9:00pm

Golden Lion

- beer list shortened

Tours office

- behind-the-scenes tours not offered during pandemic 

Travel office

- closed, future cruise deposits made over phone.

Kennels

- closed, gates/rail coverings removed and deck space opened to foot traffic

Halls

- games available for checkout, no longer out on tables 

Photographers

- much more toned down presence. No boarding photos, etc.

Shops

- no sales/events in hallway

- liquor could be bought from duty-free and taken to stateroom immediately 

Britannica Dining Room 

(File this under 'What hasn't changed') Asking if you would like to share a table with others while eating was jarring in light of all the social distancing efforts in place elsewhere 

What have I missed?

Not on board on this voyage but presumably you didn't have the welcome parties or the World Club parties?

49 minutes ago, welshy74 said:

Hi.  I have a few questions

Can you sit at the bar or are the bar stools off limits?

Is there a kettle still in the cabin?

Are the pool/hot tubs open? (esp indoor)

Hi guys! No, the bar stools were closed. The kettle and accessories were still in cabin. And it's a mixed bag for pools/hot tubs - everything in spa was open first day and then closed, indoor pools were closed on the first day and then opened, same with exterior pools and tubs, splash pool never opened at all. I did not return to the indoor pool after the first day so I'm going on what I heard, someone may correct me on that.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2022 at 6:50 AM, Matelot70 said:

Not on board on this voyage but presumably you didn't have the welcome parties or the World Club parties?

We were treated to a free glass of fizz on a gala night when we sailed in December - that was in place of the welcome party I believe

3 minutes ago, wenlyn said:

We were treated to a free glass of fizz on a gala night when we sailed in December - that was in place of the welcome party I believe

Treated?  Wow!  Then the fizz was obviously not PA.  😉

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, wenlyn said:

No World Club parties, per an email I received last week. Also no Diamond/Platinum disembarkation lounge and no priority disembarkation.

52 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Also no Diamond/Platinum disembarkation lounge

That's because (at least on the 13 December crossing) there was no vacating cabins and waiting in a lounge for disembarkation. You simply stay in your cabin until your departure time has come. That avoids the congregate lounge environments. That was an improvement, I thought. I did miss the World Club party, however.

• Like 2

I too was on the cruise.  I had planned the trip 17 months ago for my 4th Cunard cruise.  My major disappointment was lack of pre cruise testing.  Originally we were to be tested at the dock.  Two weeks before we were told to get a test not sooner than the Monday before boarding.  After the positive cases coming across, I would have thought they would have gone back to testing at the ship.  In VBI I watched 25-30 persons leave QM2 via life boat and go to QV which was at anchor near us.  That evening the Captain told us we would not be stopping at St Kitts but going directly to Barbados.  Was this a Covid problem?  

I just returned from a Med and Rhine R cruise in Nov-Dec without any problems.  What has been noted before is true based on what I saw.  The ship was beautiful, good food, EXCELLENT SERVICE by what crew remained - we changed waiter and cabin steward 3 times.  Several entertainers never performed their 22nd show; I watched the show band go from 8 down to 6.  Covid problem?  The ship should have communicated better with the paxs so as to not stir rumors.  

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 6:05 AM, fourmile.ranch said:

Stateroom:

- No juices in the 'lounge'/quiet room area, only a water dispenser -

This was all due to happen by the end of 2020 irrespective of the pandemic. Its part of waste cutting, which is focused on plastics and food waste.

15 minutes ago, jgd3rdbcfd said:

In VBI I watched 25-30 persons leave QM2 via life boat and go to QV which was at anchor near us.  That evening the Captain told us we would not be stopping at St Kitts but going directly to Barbados.  Was this a Covid problem?  

This was crew transferring to QV because of Covid. Unless something has changed, passengers only transfer between ships in port. QV has met QM2 in port in Barbados, and Britannia and Azura in port in Castries in the last week to transfer positive testing passengers.

1 hour ago, jgd3rdbcfd said:

I too was on the cruise.  I had planned the trip 17 months ago for my 4th Cunard cruise.  My major disappointment was lack of pre cruise testing.  Originally we were to be tested at the dock.  Two weeks before we were told to get a test not sooner than the Monday before boarding.  After the positive cases coming across, I would have thought they would have gone back to testing at the ship.  In VBI I watched 25-30 persons leave QM2 via life boat and go to QV which was at anchor near us.  That evening the Captain told us we would not be stopping at St Kitts but going directly to Barbados.  Was this a Covid problem?  

I just returned from a Med and Rhine R cruise in Nov-Dec without any problems.  What has been noted before is true based on what I saw.  The ship was beautiful, good food, EXCELLENT SERVICE by what crew remained - we changed waiter and cabin steward 3 times.  Several entertainers never performed their 22nd show; I watched the show band go from 8 down to 6.  Covid problem?  The ship should have communicated better with the paxs so as to not stir rumors.  

The one comment that appears over and over again is poor communication. Reviews differ as to service, food, activities, but complaints about poor communication seem to be universal. No, the captain doesn't have to share every detail, but passengers shouldn't be left without information. You're right about rumors. When there isn't reliable information, people begin to imagine the worst, and this can lead to rumors of terrible conditions when, in fact, the situation isn't all bad. 

Cunard could take lessons from HAL on communication. I haven't been on HAL during Covid, but I have been on when there were a few Noro cases. And it always remained at a few because they were so proactive. I swear, three people on a HAL ship sick up and the salt/pepper, sweetener packets, etc disappear from the tables. Buffet and coffee stations become served rather than self-serve. And passengers are given clear updates about what's happening. 

• Like 1

Thank you fourmile.ranch.  I am finding your onboard experience very helpful for our decision making.

Two more questions, if you don't mind:

1.  Were there any guest speakers?

2.  Were the laundry rooms open and, if so, were there any restrictions as to how to use them?

Thank you!

2 hours ago, ace2542 said:

Afternoon Tea for one thing. And daily testing of ALL passengers during the sailing for another.

Attended tea twice during the voyage. Also tested twice (not daily) - one Lateral Flow testing on day three (maybe it was day four) and one on day 10 for requirement to fly back to US.

Edited by fourmile.ranch
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Oca said:

Thank you fourmile.ranch.  I am finding your onboard experience very helpful for our decision making.

Two more questions, if you don't mind:

1.  Were there any guest speakers?

2.  Were the laundry rooms open and, if so, were there any restrictions as to how to use them?

Thank you!

Yes there were guest speakers. There were talks on the history of ocean liners, forensics and space. I don't normally attend them but watch them on TV. It seems there were a few days when lectures were suspended while Covid precautions were sorted out. Laundry rooms were open and then closed the evening of the 23rd. When laundry room was closed they switched to complimentary cleaning of three items per cabin per day. Not ideal but again, we felt they were doing their best in a less-than-ideal situation. 

• Like 1

Ref conditioner:  None by default on QE at xmas, but you *could* ask room attendant for some (another person on voyage mentioned it), and it was delivered as asked for.  Some people were buying conditioner in shop, which is how we found out, as a conversation of "we broiught this" happened at dinner, and another passenger just said "asked for", so we tried, and yes was delivered.     I think same may be true of some other (missing) in-room items as q-tips were also asked for and supplied.

• Like 1