Live from the Explorer, from new Regent Cruisers…

gcorgain

2 hours ago, gcorgain said:

We have put the breakfast card out for this morning. I assume it will work the same way. Sad that we are missing the great Bloody Mary’s in La Veranda this morning though…

First, so sorry to hear about your friend's medical crisis and now your positive tests for COVID-19.  We were also first-time cruisers on Regent and Explorer on the sailing previous to yours and were very interested in comparing your experiences to ours.

On the Bloody Mary posting, on our sailing they were featured on the first Saturday in La Veranda (as was the sangria on Friday).  Both were missing in action on the second Friday (NYE for us) and second Saturday (New Year's Day).  We asked La Veranda manager Donald about it and he make a joke that the bartender must have slept late.  We speculated--do not know--that it might have been the COVID situation on our sailing as we heard the bar staff was hit hard.  (As was the laundry staff--it took two days to do our final bag of laundry, luckily turned in well before the end of the cruise.)  The buffet in Compass Rose on our seaday Sunday also did not appear nor did the Captain's Farewell.

I'm sorry to hear Captain Luca is no longer announcing the number of COVID cases.  Initially he provided a breakdown of staff and passenger cases, but they ended a few days prior to the end of the cruise.  I had a great deal of empathy for the Captain and officers, who seemed to want to be transparent about the actual situation but may have run into NCLH corporate policy on information sharing.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, gcorgain said:

The shoe fell…

This morning Aaron woke up with a runny nose and a bit of a cough. I felt fine. We decided we should get tested and this afternoon we both tested positive. So we get to stay in our room for the next ten days. Ugh. I thought they would move us, but apparently the quarantine cabins are full already. 

The medical, contract tracing, and executive concierge are being nice, but this is a bummer of a way to spend your vacation. Especially as I feel fine and Aaron effectively has a cold. Still we don’t want to spread COVID so we will settle in. Happy to answer questions about this experience as we go along…

I'm sorry to hear this.  I hope you both are ok.  You said that you had decided to get tested.  Is it up to a passenger to get tested if they want and not mandatory?  Just went on my first Viking cruise to the Med this past fall and they test every day and it's mandatory.

First, let me answer the question about testing. For US guests on our sailing, it was recommended that we test before boarding our flight (we did), and then required to test in Miami prior to boarding. Obviously we were negative both times. After that Regent only tests if a port requires it or if you self identify as having symptoms. If someone tests positive then they will test close contacts. On our cruise, only Guatemala is currently requiring testing. I understand that Regent will only test those that choose to go ashore there. This may prove interesting as there is a lot of sniveling and coughing on the ship (including our next door neighbor). So we could have avoided all of this by keeping our mouths shut, but we felt the right thing to do was get tested. Honestly we have questioned that decision today in particular.

OK, today was interesting. We got up early and watched the passage of the ship through the early stages of the canal, through the Gatun locks. Shortly afterwards we received a call from the medical center that we were moving from our D category Concierge room to a G Quarantine on deck 6. They would be by at 1pm and we should be packed. This made us unhappy for several reasons. We had been told we could stay in our room, and 1pm was the time we were supposed to go through the locks. And who wants to move to a significantly smaller room and balcony? The medical liaison then said I should talk to the Concierge about compensation.

I was still absorbing this when she called to check in. However, she had not heard of the move, and was taken aback. I then pushed her a little on the thinking of a 10 day quarantine when the CDC is now suggesting 5. Sounds like they don’t really have great sound bites for their thinking on that one, btw. She said she would get back to me. I was very clear I didn’t want to move to a smaller room if that could be avoided at all.

I still hadn’t heard anything by 12:30 so I called and left a message for the Concierge to call me back. About 30 min later the Public Safety Officer called back and said that they had found a way for us to stay put (yay!) but that they would have to limit some elements of our service for the safety of the crew. I was appreciative and expressed our willingness to be flexible. We still aren’t sure what that means, but I will report it as we go along.

One more item: I had also asked about where we could order room service from. The concierge checked and it is just the regular room service + Compass Rose at dinner. Apparently that was a change for this cruise.

• Thanks 4

I am so sorry that you are going through all this. We just disembarked and I suspected that it would get worse for your sailing, given the problems with the crew. Never have I ever wished more that I was wrong. My best to you and your husband.

Let me write a little about the Panama Canal. It was the main reason we came on the trip and we were very excited to see it. We were limited somewhat by being restricted to our balcony, but that wasn’t as bad as I thought. It was very hot in the afternoon.

We had a commentator from the Canal on board who spoke for much of the journey, and was available in the observation lounge. This wasn’t the in depth lecture I was hoping for, but was fine for what it was.

We will have to come again, when we aren’t limited in our viewing area and distracted by the above mentioned discussions.

• Like 1

The Captain came on board a few minutes ago and reiterated that we were headed to Costa Rica tomorrow. He also announced our cases and another positive passenger this morning. This morning’s passenger had also been in close contact with several of the entertainment crew, so they are now isolated as well and the shows are cancelled. Not sure how long the entertainment will be out of commission.

I’ve been thinking about whether we should have come on this cruise…

A week out I was on the fence, but we decided to proceed. With the info I I had at that time I would make the same call.  At this point I would probably reschedule to at least the spring, given a choice.

Obviously there is us getting COVID, and needing to quarantine. While Regent has been reasonable and helpful, it still isn’t much of a vacation. Assuming the odds of that are still fairly low, I look at things like all the entertainment being cancelled on the Splendor’s prior voyage, and now Explorer. And then there are the missed ports. Masks aren’t a huge deal for us, but it is one other thing that detracts.

On the positive side, none of the ships are sailing full, and that part is wonderful and makes it feel almost like a private sailing.

Obviously a very individual decision…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Oh Lordy, Lordy, Lordy……we are 10 days out but leaving for San Diego in 4 days to see our family.  Two years on zoom is entirely too long and is a big motivation to stay the course.  I wonder at this point if Regent will cancel our sailing.  

i admire your attitude through this.  I would be kicking and screaming going to a G category cabin.  The least they can do is allow you to order from any restaurant of your choosing.  What’s the big deal anyway?   They leave it outside your door - it’s the Regent version of Uber Eats! 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, gcorgain said:

I understand that Regent will only test those that choose to go ashore there. This may prove interesting as there is a lot of sniveling and coughing on the ship (including our next door neighbor). So we could have avoided all of this by keeping our mouths shut, but we felt the right thing to do was get tested. Honestly we have questioned that decision today in particular.

I can understand why you would feel that way--what is happening to you is not a good vacation. But thank you for being responsible and thoughtful of others. While it sounds like you will both come through this with your health intact, there undoubtedly are others on the ship for whom exposure could be quite dangerous, even deadly. So, kudos to you both.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, gcorgain said:

So we could have avoided all of this by keeping our mouths shut, but we felt the right thing to do was get tested. Honestly we have questioned that decision today in particular.

Greg, you clearly did the right thing and the responsible thing. I can understand you may be second guessing your decision, but you did what was right and safe.

I was also supposed to be on this cruise but I rescheduled on Christmas Eve, fearing exactly what happened to you. Being vaccinated and boosted, I wasn't afraid of getting Covid. I was afraid of being quarantined for 10 days on the ship. 

Thanks for keeping us posted on what's happening.

Tom.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Frncie said:

What is the process for delaying 60 days? Is Regent permitting this? I would love to postpone our late January sailing, but I had the impression it couldn’t be done unless we just lose our entire payment. 

Please have your travel agent press your case hard with Regent. It may require getting a supervisor involved. Others have been allowed to reschedule and so should you.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Frncie said:

What is the process for delaying 60 days? Is Regent permitting this? I would love to postpone our late January sailing, but I had the impression it couldn’t be done unless we just lose our entire payment. 

I was able to postpone my February cruise, I suggest you have your TA approach Regent about it

• Like 1

NCL has a program called "Peace of mind" that allows you to cancel thru end of March sailings without penalty. A few days ago, Oceania joined that program thru end of February. But Regent customers are screwed with full penalty for cancellations. If anyone has an update on this, please post.

Greg and Aaron, my fellow Californians  from Woodland Hills,  Hello. I live in West L.A.

Greg, thank you for a very factual, informative blog.

My boyfriend, Bob, and I are scheduled on the return  cruise, starting in San Diego on January 19th., and going on to Miami.

I have been looking forward to re- visiting some places, like Cartagena, where I stayed at the 

Sofitel. Wanted to enjoy lunch there, and hopefully, introduce my boyfriend to their  resident toucan, Mateo.

I'm just looking forward to having a great time, as I always do. Another adventure.   We have traveled on Regent in the past, and always enjoyed a great experience.  

Todays environment is different, and I am wondering if maybe I should wait it out, and book another cruise when this pandemic is behind us.

Please, continue updating us on your experiences.  I am packed, of course, but that, too,  can wait. 

Enjoy the  balance of your cruise.  Hope Aaron will feel better every day.

Wanda

50 minutes ago, tripperva said:

NCL has a program called "Peace of mind" that allows you to cancel thru end of March sailings without penalty. A few days ago, Oceania joined that program thru end of February. But Regent customers are screwed with full penalty for cancellations. If anyone has an update on this, please post.

With that cancellation policy, you get a FCC that must be used this year. I understand Regent is allowing passengers this same option on a case by case basis. Considering many 2022 cruises are booked out already, or are much more expensive for less nights, this is not a customer friendly policy. We cancelled a cruise with Viking, on the other hand, and got a FCC that can be used to BOOK a cruise by the end of 2023 but the cruise itself can be anytime after that. So we could book a 2025 cruise, if those are on the schedule, for example. We are going on the Jan 19 cruise following this one, and are not cancelling because there is nothing else this year on their schedule that works for us. We will enjoy the best we can. My husband said I should wear a sign that says "I'm not antisocial, I'm just worried" because we will be very cautious on this trip.

• Like 1

I also don’t get why you can’t order from any of the restaurants, though to be honest, the compass rose menu is now so huge that it is hard to make a decision there.

I would hate being on quarantine for most of the trip, but I guess it is better than being on quarantine in a not as nice hotel room.  Regent does need to update their policy in accordance with the new CDC guidelines though.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruiseluv said:

I was able to postpone my February cruise, I suggest you have your TA approach Regent about it

We were able to postpone our cruise with no issues. This cruise (Jan 13) was a credit of a previous cruise that Regent cancelled on us last year. Our only stipulation is that we have to use the cruise credit before year’s end, since it’s a credit of a credit.  We have an Alaskan cruise scheduled for August. Fingers crossed! Good luck to you! It can be done! 

Like everyone else on this forum, I was so saddened to hear of your multiple difficulties. It's a credit to you both on how you've handled it all. I do hope they're keeping you supplied for multiple vodka yummies and plenty of Fever Tree! I've enjoyed reading your accounts thus far and wish you both the very best in the future, no matter where it takes you!

Room service from the Compass Rose sounds wonderful after reading this Washington Post article on what some quarantined cruisers are going through.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2022/01/08/cruise-quarantine-omicron-covid-ship/

For those of you who can't read it, the story talks about quarantined crew and passengers on other lines (including Norwegian) being served poor food on disposable plates, and having to wait two to three hours for it to be brought to their rooms, some in inside cabins.