**** CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #2 **** JANUARY 6, 2002

CeleBrat

2 hours ago, velmasue said:
TESTING REQUIREMENTS (UPDATED 05/04/22)

Except where destination requirements differ*, guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within three days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible. 

Above from Carnival's website.  Trying to figure out if this means you would have to have the 2nd booster also if over 50 to be eligible to take test 3 days before cruise?  

According to John Heald on his FB page, they are not considering the 2nd booster as part of the requirements. If you have the first you can test 3 days before.

• Like 2

Thank you for your response.  It really is confusing.  I was planning to make an appointment at Walgreens next Thursday for our cruise that leaves on Sunday the 15th.  But the latest update had me concerned since we just got our second booster this week (so outside of 14 day window) and are well over 50.  lol.  I'm a little undecided now if I'll just wait until Friday to be absolutely sure.  

In case anyone was wondering about the test kits expiration dates from the Optum Site, I just got mine today and they expire on 01-28-23, I will be using these for my 10-15-22 cruise and will have to order more for my Feb 2023 cruise. 

test1.jpg

test2.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2022 at 10:15 AM, velmasue said:

Thank you for your response.  It really is confusing.  I was planning to make an appointment at Walgreens next Thursday for our cruise that leaves on Sunday the 15th.  But the latest update had me concerned since we just got our second booster this week (so outside of 14 day window) and are well over 50.  lol.  I'm a little undecided now if I'll just wait until Friday to be absolutely sure.  

The window for getting the booster is 7 days before departure, however, if you wait that long, then it would only be 4 days between that and your covid test. 

Has anyone used Rapid COVID Test | Buy Rapid Antigen Test | Rapid Test & Trace USA (rapidtestandtrace.com) for proctored testing for a Carnival Cruise and if so, do the provided results comply with their requirements. They have indicated that the allow you to use the free iHealth kits provided by the government and that they will provide the proctoring and results for $20.00 per person.

This whole testing thing is a joke...in some cases its 72 hrs...in some cases its 48 hrs...in some cases its testing within 3 actual days and not actually 72 hrs,  in some cases its testing within 2 days and not not actually 48 hrs. 

In some cases you need a pcr, in some cases you need an antigen...there is also a naat...

In some cases you can go to a phatmcy, in some cases you have to self test..

This is insane..

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, csoud68 said:

This whole testing thing is a joke...in some cases its 72 hrs...in some cases its 48 hrs...in some cases its testing within 3 actual days and not actually 72 hrs,  in some cases its testing within 2 days and not not actually 48 hrs. 

In some cases you need a pcr, in some cases you need an antigen...there is also a naat...

This is insane..

Sounds pretty par for the course of late !  😉

Tom

• Like 1

13 hours ago, csoud68 said:

This is insane..

IF you are vaxxed and boosted, its pretty simple.   Take the test anytime in the  three days before you cruise starts, and as for type of test, they accept .....  pretty much EVERYTHING. 

We just did the Radeas home test offered through a link directly on the Carnival website.   Got the kits in the mail three days after ordering.   Proctoring on Zoom was easy peasy, took 15 minutes, and then had results by email two minutes later.

Edited by Calnev1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Calnev1 said:

IF you are vaxxed and boosted, its pretty simple.   Take the test anytime in the  three days before you cruise starts, and as for type of test, they accept .....  pretty much EVERYTHING. 

We just did the Radeas home test offered through a link directly on the Carnival website.   Got the kits in the mail three days after ordering.   Proctoring on Zoom was easy peasy, took 15 minutes, and then had results by email two minutes later.

Unless you're stopping in Canada. Then it's 2 days before for antigen or 3 days before for PCR

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Unless you're stopping in Canada. Then it's 2 days before for antigen or 3 days before for PCR

Yes  I realized after I wrote this that the Canadians could be layering requirements on top of Carnivals (relatively) straightforward US domestic requirements.

12 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Not exactly.  And Carnival has really screwed this up with there messaging.  A PCR is a type of "molecular" test.  This is the quote from Canada's website.

Molecular tests

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)

Canada accepts any molecualr test which includes NAAT and PCR.  Carnival's website says just a PCR is acceptable.  Clear as mud.  Totally irresponsible on Carnival's part.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azalea4va said:

Not exactly.  And Carnival has really screwed this up with there messaging.  A PCR is a type of "molecular" test.  This is the quote from Canada's website.

Molecular tests

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)

Canada accepts any molecualr test which includes NAAT and PCR.  Carnival's website says just a PCR is acceptable.  Clear as mud.  Totally irresponsible on Carnival's part.

What matters is what Carnival requires to let me on the ship. Canada isn't going to call and say "NAAT is good let him on the ship." I'm going with what Carnival has on their website and I would advise everyone else visiting Canada on a Carnival cruise do the same.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

Where does everyone go to get their Covid Rapid NAAT test within 48 hr before your cruise day?

Does it have to be the NAAT test?  

My friend cruises mostly with RCCL and they offer a home test with results verified by a telehealth visit by a medical professional.

Does Carnival offer anything like this? I've searched but didn't find anything on the Carnival site.  RCCL has the info on their website.

Thank you

I live in south Florida and booked an appointment online at Walgreens for the Rapid NAAT Test two days prior to sail date, drove thru the drive-up, performed the test, got results 1/2 hour later, printed them out, easy peasy.  We sailed on the Horizon on April 30th., the Rapid NAAT test is one that is approved by Carnival.

• Like 1

We have been on 7 Carnival cruises since the negative test results have been required.  After some difficult situations, we only use the EMed at home proctored tests (same test mentioned above, but ordered from a different site).  It's way less stressful.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

We have been on 7 Carnival cruises since the negative test results have been required.  After some difficult situations, we only use the EMed at home proctored tests (same test mentioned above, but ordered from a different site).  It's way less stressful.

That's all well and good. I just did mine with a negative result, the wife's account won't let her log in, you can't reset your password, and there is no way to contact emed for tech support. The whole thing sucks!

25 minutes ago, CC Rider 69 said:

That's all well and good. I just did mine with a negative result, the wife's account won't let her log in, you can't reset your password, and there is no way to contact emed for tech support. The whole thing sucks!

I understand, actually that did happen to someone in our family also.  I think we had to create another account (which probably involved creating another email address for that person, but I can't remember for sure, but we did find a way around it).  I agree, it's a total pain.  But at least with this method we aren't flying across the country hoping our test results come back in time.

13 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

I understand, actually that did happen to someone in our family also.  I think we had to create another account (which probably involved creating another email address for that person, but I can't remember for sure, but we did find a way around it).  I agree, it's a total pain.  But at least with this method we aren't flying across the country hoping our test results come back in time.

I think I'll try that.