'Formal' nights now 'Dress to Impress'?

PRNole47

On 1/6/2022 at 9:53 PM, KLM3164 said:

We sailed on the Sky in November/December. While it is called “dress to impress” we did see a man get turned away from the MDR for wearing shorts.

For Pete's sake. Maybe he thought he was on Carnival. I remember a guy wearing a "wife-beater" to a MDR on one cruise - I think it must have been RCI. He was turned away as well, hairy armpits and all, after much arguing on his part. I mean, the fact that someone would actually think that's ok to wear to a restaurant other than McDs, says something about society these days,

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, nbsjcruiser said:

For Pete's sake. Maybe he thought he was on Carnival. I remember a guy wearing a "wife-beater" to a MDR on one cruise - I think it must have been RCI. He was turned away as well, hairy armpits and all, after much arguing on his part. I mean, the fact that someone would actually think that's ok to wear to a restaurant other than McDs, says something about society these days,

Was the "wife-beater" linen? Perhaps that chap thought he was "in the right" after finding an appropriate and stylish "wife-beater" at Walmart's "Cruise and Cabana Collection" section.

• Haha 3

On 1/7/2022 at 2:46 PM, FlaMariner said:

Where is the fine print about what is required to enter the MDR on formal nights?  I am hoping my kaki pants and long sleeve shirt will suffice?"

I was on the Grand last week and I'm currently on the Ruby. From my observations on both ships, dress for both men and women was all over the place on formal night...everything from tuxedos and evening gowns to jeans and t-shirts. Your khaki pants should be fine.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 7:22 AM, MissP22 said:

It appears that Princess still wants to avoid the confrontation of forcing people to wear better clothing on formal night by falling back on "Dress to Impress" label while turning their heads to those who wish to modify it to their choosing. 

One can only wonder how this will all work out for everyone in the end. 

My prediction is the same old, same old Princess.😆

I think you are probably one hundred per cent correct.

On 1/7/2022 at 8:51 AM, MissP22 said:

Are we ever on the same page. 😄

Show us where the better food is located & we'll be there. 😋

I'm currently on the Ruby.  The had a very good prime rib on the first formal night.  That was easily the best meal (in my opinion) on this cruise so far, but we're only on day 5 of 10.

• Thanks 1

On 1/7/2022 at 8:51 PM, brisalta said:

Collar stays.  I keep my collar stays in a small rectangular tin. The type of tin that a small quantity of mints or fisherman's friend come in.

Collar stay is to keep the shirt collar nice and straight.  Many shirts no longer have a little "pocket" for the stays, but I have a pair of ivory collar stays from my grandfather (long before there was any issue with ivory).

A shirt stay is an elastic band that runs from the front shirt tail to the foot, keeping the shirt front (or back) nice and taut, no bunching and pulling out from the waist of the trousers.  

25 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Collar stay is to keep the shirt collar nice and straight.  Many shirts no longer have a little "pocket" for the stays, but I have a pair of ivory collar stays from my grandfather (long before there was any issue with ivory).

A shirt stay is an elastic band that runs from the front shirt tail to the foot, keeping the shirt front (or back) nice and taut, no bunching and pulling out from the waist of the trousers.  

The lack of "pockets" for collar stays is a way for the manufacture to maximize profit and they get away with it because many people no longer have an idea what a well tailored product is. ( This even applies to work type clothes. For example Levi jeans are no longer as well made as they were 40 years ago).

The shirt stay is a hack for a shirt that is made cheaply with not enough material to make a long tail that will tuck deeply into your trousers.

On 1/7/2022 at 1:51 PM, satxdiver said:

The young ones (teens to 20's) are wearing ripped jeans these days and yes, they bought them that way.  DW bought a pair for our DGD recently and they are not cheap.  Since Princess mainly appeals to the older generation one is not likely to see ripped jeans onboard.  

About time Princess gives up the charade about "formal" night and joins the competition.  As the world moves on dress is getting more and more informal.  When I started working after graduating, I wore a tie, long sleeved shirt, pants and sometimes coat.  When I retired decades later I was wearing an open collar short sleeved shirt and dockers.  When we last cruised on the CB in the Caribbean pre-pandemic they were allowing short sleeved open collar shirts and jeans on "formal" night and t-shirt and shorts on informal nights. 

They charge extra for the holes they put in them for you....lol...When we were kids, mom would cover the holes in the knees of our jeans with iron on patches.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Moondogy said:

They charge extra for the holes they put in them for you....lol...When we were kids, mom would cover the holes in the knees of our jeans with iron on patches.

Cat Stevens 'The patches make the goodbye harder still' Daddy's favorite blue jeans.

Edited by Tedferg
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 12:29 PM, luv2cruise99 said:

I'm currently on the Ruby.  The had a very good prime rib on the first formal night.  That was easily the best meal (in my opinion) on this cruise so far, but we're only on day 5 of 10.

You are assuming that everybody enjoys prime rib.

On 1/8/2022 at 11:03 AM, generichandle said:

At home I always wear jogging pants and a short sleeve collared shirt, for comfort. When I go out to eat I wear jogging pants and a short sleeve collared shirt, for comfort. On a plane, I happily wear jogging pants and a short sleeve collared shirt, for comfort. In the DR, I always wear jogging pants and a short sleeved collared shirt, for comfort. Guess what I want to wear on formal nights [for comfort]?

I have no problem with those who wish to wear whatever they like. Why 'require' anything? The very thought of what 'required dress' [aka worthiness] implies makes me UNcomfortable. 

See you in the DR, I will be the one wearing the ........; well, you know.  

It seems like you have never had the experience of how extremely comfortable well tailored clothing is.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 3

To the contrary; I know exactly how comfortable the penguin suit is [as well as absurdly expensive]. Thus the joggers and shirt. Never a belt again, that is certain. Now, at 70 and retired, I think like my friend's rather unique clock. All it's hands and numbers lay at the bottom, and in the middle it simply says: "I'm retired, who cares!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, generichandle said:

To the contrary; I know exactly how comfortable the penguin suit is [as well as absurdly expensive]. Thus the joggers and shirt. Never a belt again, that is certain. Now, at 70 and retired, I think like my friend's rather unique clock. All it's hands and numbers lay at the bottom, and in the middle it simply says: "I'm retired, who cares!"

generichandle I don't know you but I love you. Lol. 

• Like 3

It seems the Dress to Impress change is only on Sky; possibly a trial of sorts?   I also saw the idiot in the shorts and sandals with no mask I might add, arguing with the poor staff when they wouldn't let him in the dining room.  He was also seen around the ship proudly walking indoors without a mask.  I hope the crew are throwing idiots like that off the ship now with the rapid spread of omicron!  I could care less what anyone wears to dinner; who am I to judge.  I like dressing up since you don't get to do that anymore in normal life, but it doesn't ruin my night if you come in slacks and a polo shirt!  Have to be pretty stuffy to carry that opinion around.  Times have changed in many ways and this is one of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dcrow72 said:

It seems the Dress to Impress change is only on Sky; possibly a trial of sorts.

I got curious and Princess' Dress to Impress goes back to 2016.  There is a 4 page discussion on CC about it on the Regal in 2018. Nothing new there.

Ultimately, Dress to Impress is wide open and someone could show up in anything. Ratty, unwashed... whatever. Because anything makes an impression.

Edited by mtnesterz
  • Haha 1

must have been short lived as I was on Regal a couple of times since then and no sign of Dress to Impress.  It's all about whatever you want without passing judgment.  There are lines still enforcing formal attire from what I hear so everyone has a choice.  

I skipped a couple of formal nights on Princess on an Alaskan cruise several years ago because I was afraid of the formal night requirements posted for a jacket. Fortunately, on the Majestic in October my waiter assured me that I wouldn't be turned away with just a collared shirt and slacks, and I didn't feel awkward or judged, with plenty of people dressed similarly. I understand there are a lot of people who enjoy judging and want desperately to hang on to standards, rules, and Tradition, and I'm sure the cruise lines try to satisfy that desire (especially since it allows them to sell formal night photos) with the reality that if they want to capture boomers like me and future generations that don't always share the same beliefs, they have to be flexible. I suspect that's also a reason for going with the Medallion system--even if it drives many older cruisers crazy, they're looking to attract future cruising generations who are more comfortable with tech and who don't like things like set dining times and who want more adventurous dining options (I got more excited by the noodle bar on Majestic than a lobster tail I can get for a few bucks at Safeway).