'Formal' nights now 'Dress to Impress'?

PRNole47

Where is the fine print about what is required to enter the MDR on formal nights?  I am hoping my kaki pants and long sleeve shirt will suffice?

I am coming up empty searching the Princess website....I did find this and hope this is not true......my days of wearing a coat and tie to dinner are in the past.....

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), "

I have never gone to dinner on a cruise ship without wearing either dress slacks or tuxedo pants.  Even when delivery of my luggage was delayed by several hours, I wore dress slacks, dress shirt and a sports coat to the first night's dinner (because that is what I wore to board the ship).  

It is my own preference, based on how I was raised and my beliefs as to how one should conduct oneself.   I don't care for others dressing down for dinner, or men wearing hats indoors.  But there are no cloak rooms or hat checks in the ship.  I do not allow their uncouth attire ruin my evening!!  I like how I look, and I do it for myself and my wife.

[For a European cruise, I do not bring a tux -- too much weight, too much volume.  A special pair of shoes for one evening???]

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rabidstoat said:

See, based on the incredulity of this question, one would know from it alone that you're not female. 😉 

Stoat, you are right!  Females know how important it is to match every outfit to the specific pair of shoes and handbag, and if they are wearing a hat, so much more effort to decide if it is all perfect.  Thank God I was not born a woman!  And that I have not transitioned.

I have brought my patent leather dress shoes on every cruise except European, because domestically, I will allow the space for all of the tux junk -- special shirts, shirt stays (I think that's what they are called, elastics to pull the shirt down and keep it from riding up), cuff links and studs, cummerbunds, bow ties -- but the patent leather shoes annoy me the most!  I wear them only a few times each year, and I haven't even dusted them off since the Covid Panic began.  In the "old days," when I attended Industry events, I wore the tux often.  So I do have a lot of accessories!  At least guys don't have a problem if we wear the same basic tux multiple times.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Where is the fine print about what is required to enter the MDR on formal nights?  I am hoping my kaki pants and long sleeve shirt will suffice?

I am coming up empty searching the Princess website....I did find this and hope this is not true......my days of wearing a coat and tie to dinner are in the past.....

"For more formal settings, men should bring a suit and a nice pair of shoes (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks), "

Go here:  https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

Open the Clothing Recommendations section. 

But also open up the section below - Packing for Your Cruise.  And then also click the link at the bottom:  "Learn more on what to pack for a cruise".

5 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Look at https://www.princess.com/learn/faq/pre-cruise/what-to-pack-for-a-cruise/

and expand "Clothing Recommendations"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

shirt stays (I think that's what they are called, ...

Collar stays.  I keep my collar stays in a small rectangular tin. The type of tin that a small quantity of mints or fisherman's friend come in.

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

With the elimination of traditional dining I think all nights should be casual. I personally don't care to pack a heavy suitcase and schlepp it. Business casual or casual works just fine for me.

TD <> Formal.  I don't understand why some folks tie formal nights to traditional dining.  TD simply refers to dining at the same time, at same table, with same waiters, same dining companions for the cruise voyage.  Not at all related to dress.  Otherwise, I am with you on formally changing the documented dining guidelines to agree with the reality of what has been happening on the ships.  Dress up or down (but not too far - LOL) and all are welcome.

13 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

What you stated is correct but you neglected to include the very next part of that sentence which states, "  (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks) which allows for those guys who wish to dress down a bit to still eat in the DR. This of course has even migrated to short sleeve shirts without any tie. 

It appears that your kaki pants & long sleeve shirt will still be more than acceptable. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

It appears that your kaki pants & long sleeve shirt will still be more than acceptable. 

That's what we've been wearing on Formal Nights for years now:

We dressed in tuxes for years, but at a point we decided we'd done that enough for us, and it was just adding stress (and luggage weight). When we first made the switch we would make specialty restaurant reservations for Formal Nights, so as not to "offend" those in the MDR who would care. But, again, over the years as the "dress code" loosened, we began eating wherever we pleased and no one seems to care.

We are certainly presentable, wearing nice, long-sleeved shirts and slacks and, yes, sometimes khaki or linen pants in warmer climes. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

That's what we've been wearing on Formal Nights for years now:

We dressed in tuxes for years, but at a point we decided we'd done that enough for us, and it was just adding stress (and luggage weight). When we first made the switch we would make specialty restaurant reservations for Formal Nights, so as not to "offend" those in the MDR who would care. But, again, over the years as the "dress code" loosened, we began eating wherever we pleased and no one seems to care.

We are certainly presentable, wearing nice, long-sleeved shirts and slacks and, yes, sometimes khaki or linen pants in warmer climes. 

I think you are right.....nobody really cares what others are wearing to dinner as long as Princess sees nothing wrong with it.....if they do then that is on them.....papering over yourself with some rented or secondhand tux does not change the shallowness people show in regards to dress codes......

Edited by PrincessLuver

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

What you stated is correct but you neglected to include the very next part of that sentence which states, "  (or, at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks) which allows for those guys who wish to dress down a bit to still eat in the DR. This of course has even migrated to short sleeve shirts without any tie. 

Thank you....So even though this says "at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks" I will still be permitted to join my table in the MDR on "formal" evenings without "the very least, a tie."

We are new to Princess.....I was looking for something like this direct statement from Holland America Line...."For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants."

But I think everyone is telling me that this (kaki & dress shirt w/no tie) will work for Princess but Princess still tells passengers a tie is required......even though it is not required?  

Edited by FlaMariner

26 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Thank you....So even though this says "at the very least, a shirt, tie and slacks" I will still be permitted to join my table in the MDR on "formal" evenings without "the very least, a tie."

We are new to Princess.....I was looking for something like this direct statement from Holland America Line...."For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants."

But I think everyone is telling me that this (kaki & dress shirt w/no tie) will work for Princess but Princess still tells passengers a tie is required......even though it is not required?  

Even though they mention a tie, don't sweat it. My husband hasn't worn a tie in over 20 years for dining or anything else for that matter. He dumped then all after we moved to Florida. 👔

There will always be those that enjoy dressing up on formal nights and Princess seems to want to satisfy all passengers by their wishy washy statement.

20 hours ago, satxdiver said:

The young ones (teens to 20's) are wearing ripped jeans these days and yes, they bought them that way.  DW bought a pair for our DGD recently and they are not cheap.  Since Princess mainly appeals to the older generation one is not likely to see ripped jeans onboard.  

These are common amongst those older than the 20's who are wearing these also. I see people in their 50's and 60's wearing these (not on a ship).

Edited by Coral

1 hour ago, FlaMariner said:

Princess still tells passengers a tie is required......even though it is not required?  

Ties are not required. Above is a link to the Princess page where there are recommendations, the only time I read the word "must" was regarding wearing shoes in the MDR. We've all heard plates and glasswear break in dining rooms. Common sense.

New to Princess? Best to avoid shorts, t-shirts and ball caps. What you note is fine. We find formal wear enhances the experience, but some people don't see it that way and it's your vacation after all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I can just see it now. Dressing down to a short-sleeve white shirt with tie and dress slacks. I'll be confused with either a Sears appliance salesman from the 50s or a Mormon complying with their Mission requirement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 12

3 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

We sailed on the Majestic in August and Sky in November. Ties were not required in the MDR on formal night (Majestic) or D2I night (Sky). You will be fine with khaki pants and a dress shirt. The only thing I saw someone turned away for on these nights was for wearing shorts on the formal/D2I nights.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Princess is often very indirect and obfuscates about a lot of things.  If they were clearer, the Princess board would have a lot less Q&A posts.  LOL.

The list of things that lack clarity is long.  They could be clearer and still allow for the flexibility and range of dress that is acceptable.  They could be clearer about MC App issues and plans.  They could be clearer about exactly what the website enhancements will be for replicating check-in info from MC App.  They could be clearer about their intentions for DMW and what their plans are for TD.  They cold be clearer about how tables are assigned using DMW.  I am sure many folks have their own lack of clarity peeves with PCL.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

I'm hoping my dark jeans w/o contrast stitching + dressy top + pumps will suffice as that's what I wear to a nice restaurant here. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

TD <> Formal.  I don't understand why some folks tie formal nights to traditional dining.  TD simply refers to dining at the same time, at same table, with same waiters, same dining companions for the cruise voyage.  Not at all related to dress.  Otherwise, I am with you on formally changing the documented dining guidelines to agree with the reality of what has been happening on the ships.  Dress up or down (but not too far - LOL) and all are welcome.

My point was that Princess dummy'd down the dining experience to a "come when you like" which projects  "dress as you like". The formality is gone from the dining experience. 

At home I always wear jogging pants and a short sleeve collared shirt, for comfort. When I go out to eat I wear jogging pants and a short sleeve collared shirt, for comfort. On a plane, I happily wear jogging pants and a short sleeve collared shirt, for comfort. In the DR, I always wear jogging pants and a short sleeved collared shirt, for comfort. Guess what I want to wear on formal nights [for comfort]?

I have no problem with those who wish to wear whatever they like. Why 'require' anything? The very thought of what 'required dress' [aka worthiness] implies makes me UNcomfortable. 

See you in the DR, I will be the one wearing the ........; well, you know.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the 90's I no longer had to wear a tie at work and not long after that got rid of them.  I have never worn a tie on a cruise ship for anything and have never had a problem.  For the last several years I have been wearing black jeans and a short sleeved guayabera with my athletic shoes.  Prior to that I wore khakis and a long sleeved shirt so to the one who asked about wearing shirt and pants alone that has always been acceptable.  It will be interesting how this is going to play out on Princess ships in the future.  Stay tuned.