'Formal' nights now 'Dress to Impress'?

PRNole47

4 hours ago, PRNole47 said:

Cruiser now aboard the Sky says their 'formal nights' are now called 'Dress to Impress" . . . .Is this accurate or only aboard that ship?

---

. . . Still "Formal Night" on my November/December/January Grand Princess, Ruby Princess, and Majestic Princess cruises.

---

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PRNole47 said:

Cruiser now aboard the Sky says their 'formal nights' are now called 'Dress to Impress" and there are people wearing shorts and 'tees' on this night. Is this accurate or only aboard that ship?

We sailed on the Sky in November/December. While it is called “dress to impress” we did see a man get turned away from the MDR for wearing shorts. Beyond that it was anything goes…..long pants, Hawaiian shirts, leather Harley vest over long sleeve shirt, sport coats with or without ties, tuxedos. You name it and they wore it but you still couldn’t wear shorts.

On the Majestic in September it was still called “formal night” but you could get away with just about anything. Didn’t see any men in shorts in the MDR but then again it was a cruise to Alaska.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, RSS from SF said:

---

. . . Still "Formal Night" on my November/December/January Grand Princess, Ruby Princess, and Majestic Princess cruises.

---

I claim this is why my suitcase was so heavy - I brought my formal clothes for the Grand.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Potstech said:

"Dress to Impress"  Who?    Why?

"Resort Casual" or "Business Casual" are better descriptors in my mind.  But the D2I description communicates - in my mind at least - that guests should feel comfortable to the nines (tux, etc), or something else (down to the the fives???) according to their preference. 

IDK what the right words are, but it will be nice if Princess labels it on all ships as to what has been the norm for several years now (by-and-large a mixed range of dress which excludes gym clothes, t-shirts, shorts, flip flops, etc).  Obviously, there is still some mixed reactions to shorts at dinner.

It appears that Princess still wants to avoid the confrontation of forcing people to wear better clothing on formal night by falling back on "Dress to Impress" label while turning their heads to those who wish to modify it to their choosing. 

One can only wonder how this will all work out for everyone in the end. 

My prediction is the same old, same old Princess.😆

• Like 1

We were also on the Sky in December and noted that the "rules" were a bit relaxed on Dress to Impress night compared to the past (didn't bother us). I personally didn't see anyone wearing shorts on those nights, but did see people in jeans.

We did also notice that the dinner attire "rules" were very relaxed on non-DTI nights, as well. We saw lots of shorts, t-shirts, ripped jeans, baseball caps, etc., in the MDR on those nights. I generally don't let others' attire bother me too much, although I have to admit I do not particularly enjoy seeing mens' armpit hair at dinner when they're wearing tank tops and cut-off sleeve t-shirts, which we also saw on a few occasions. 

We were in Club Class, by the way, and never saw anyone turned away.

Edited by 5:00_Somewhere
  • Like 2

Let's get real......most formal nights on Princess are a hodge podge of old clothes that people have been dragging on cruises for years looking at the styles.....their idea of what's formal is certainly not mine from what I have seen over the years on Princess cruises.....many go all out but many obviously shop at Kohl's too........

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 5

On the Sky now. Most people dressed up some for D2I nights. One was NYE so not surprising there but even last night saw fancier than usual dress by most. Did see a few jeans, tropical shirts, etc but no shorts. MDR staff said policy is still no shorts in MDR on Smart Casual nights but it is not enforced. Saw fair number of men in shorts most nights.

3 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

On the Sky now. Most people dressed up some for D2I nights. One was NYE so not surprising there but even last night saw fancier than usual dress by most. Did see a few jeans, tropical shirts, etc but no shorts. MDR staff said policy is still no shorts in MDR on Smart Casual nights but it is not enforced. Saw fair number of men in shorts most nights.

Pretty much as I expected. 

Nothing has changed. 

11 hours ago, generichandle said:

So my jogging pants will now be acceptable?

Apparently, if your South of the Mason Dixon line.

Edited by c-boy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

We are currently on the Majestic and we were surprised to see as many tuxedos and really nice dresses on our Formal nights.

On the other nights though, we have seen plenty of shorts, flip-flops and baseball caps.

I'm sorry, but I guess I'm old fashioned in that way.  I like to see a little effort made as to attire when walking into a nice restaurant.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We are currently on the Majestic and we were surprised to see as many tuxedos and really nice dresses on our Formal nights.

On the other nights though, we have seen plenty of shorts, flip-flops and baseball caps.

I'm sorry, but I guess I'm old fashioned in that way.  I like to see a little effort made as to attire when walking into a nice restaurant.

The fact that people are allowed to make a choice is the most important part of their so called "dress code".

29 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I'm trying to figure out - who brings "ripped" jeans on a cruise?

Sounds like it should be in Salvation Army possession.

Wait a minute! You would put ripped jeans into SA bin? Tsk, tsk. 

Actually, several companies have really sold 'pre-ripped jeans'. For 'style'!

I actually could care less what anyone wears; suit, tux, jeans, jumper ..... all the same to me. Cloth people decide to hang onto their body. *shrug*

I wear 'jogging pants' strictly for comfort [not for jogging, that's certain]. No belt if I can avoid it; I hate those. I want to go to 'formal' nights because that is when they serve the best food. Glad to hear they are loosening up the requirements. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, generichandle said:

I want to go to 'formal' nights because that is when they serve the best food. Glad to hear they are loosening up the requirements. 

Are we ever on the same page. 😄

Show us where the better food is located & we'll be there. 😋

• Like 2

The young ones (teens to 20's) are wearing ripped jeans these days and yes, they bought them that way.  DW bought a pair for our DGD recently and they are not cheap.  Since Princess mainly appeals to the older generation one is not likely to see ripped jeans onboard.  

About time Princess gives up the charade about "formal" night and joins the competition.  As the world moves on dress is getting more and more informal.  When I started working after graduating, I wore a tie, long sleeved shirt, pants and sometimes coat.  When I retired decades later I was wearing an open collar short sleeved shirt and dockers.  When we last cruised on the CB in the Caribbean pre-pandemic they were allowing short sleeved open collar shirts and jeans on "formal" night and t-shirt and shorts on informal nights. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, satxdiver said:

About time Princess gives up the charade about "formal" night and joins the competition.

I was wondering how long it was going to take Princess to make a change. Possibly the competition during this restricted sailing period has something to do with it??

I seriously doubt if it'll drive people away since they'll now be on par about dressing with all the other cruise lines.

(at least on paper) LOL 😁