Zuiderdam Quarantine

NMCruiser123

22 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Yikes, hopefully that is way too many.

Actually they have to keep a certain number of rooms for incoming crew who must quarantine 10 days before beginning work on the ship.

Yesterday I did meet the head doctor up on deck 10 outside, so at least she's not infected.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

Actually they have to keep a certain number of rooms for incoming crew who must quarantine 10 days before beginning work on the ship.

Yesterday I did meet the head doctor up on deck 10 outside, so at least she's not infected.

I have heard that before and I guess it’s a rule in the CDC guidelines?  It seems pretty inefficient to me.  Why can’t the crew quarantine in a hotel, be tested on the day they join the ship and begin work immediately.  It would free up a bunch of rooms apparently and would be a more though screening  then the embarking passengers as they are not in quarantine prior to boarding.

4 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I have heard that before and I guess it’s a rule in the CDC guidelines?  It seems pretty inefficient to me.  Why can’t the crew quarantine in a hotel, be tested on the day they join the ship and begin work immediately.  It would free up a bunch of rooms apparently and would be a more though screening  then the embarking passengers as they are not in quarantine prior to boarding.

On the other hand, it's one way for the cruise ship to virtually guarantee that all incoming crew have followed the protocols.  Embarking passengers are a whole another set of risks.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

It is a lot of work. In planing

39 minutes ago, NMCruiser123 said:

@BtimmerI’ve talked to her a few times, she’s been very nice.  If you see her again, tell her your CC buddy would love to

be able to roll around in an isolated patch of sand on half moon cay!  I promise

to wear an N-95.

I think it’s the least they could do for you, along with providing your own personal tender 😁

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

10 days in a hotel, feeding and otherwise supporting? Considerably more expensive than housing them on a ship that can't and won't be full for the foreseeable future.

My guess is they screen the new crew extensively prior to travel to drop the risk of bringing Covid with them.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NMCruiser123 said:

@BtimmerI’ve talked to her a few times, she’s been very nice.  If you see her again, tell her your CC buddy would love to

be able to roll around in an isolated patch of sand on half moon cay!  I promise

to wear an N-95.

I think they should just test you again. Asymptomatic in the first place and as long as you've been in quarantine, you could test negative. It would be nice if you could get a day on the beach.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

10 days in a hotel, feeding and otherwise supporting? Considerably more expensive than housing them on a ship that can't and won't be full for the foreseeable future.

My guess is they screen the new crew extensively prior to travel to drop the risk of bringing Covid with them.

Not if they can sell the otherwise reserved cabins….

29 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Not if they can sell the otherwise reserved cabins….

Quarantine space was required under the CSO. The CSO is becoming voluntarily,  so maybe the employees will be treated differently. But is demand for cabins that high...at least on HAL?

• Like 1

NMCruiser123

Like so many others have commented,  we also thank you so much for the commentary and answering questions. We are scheduled on the Zuiderdam for the West to East transit on 2/13/2022. We have been on the fence as to whether to cancel or not since we have the Platinum Insurance where we can cancel anytime and get 90% of our cruise fare back. We are way up there in age, have both had both vaccine injections and the booster and have been on 34 previous cruises including just last September.

After listening to you and the many questions you were asked and answered, we've decided - what the heck, we're going!!

• Like 17

16 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The been counters have done the math

• Like 1

After following this thread for a while, we're on the fence about whether to push our April sailing on Zuiderdam out.

We're on deck 6 aft, and frankly are not liking the idea of living in what seems more like a quarantine ward in a hospital than a cruise ship vacation. Not our notion of a fun time really.. 😏

21 hours ago, PROCRUISE said:

NMCruiser123

Like so many others have commented,  we also thank you so much for the commentary and answering questions. We are scheduled on the Zuiderdam for the West to East transit on 2/13/2022. We have been on the fence as to whether to cancel or not since we have the Platinum Insurance where we can cancel anytime and get 90% of our cruise fare back. We are way up there in age, have both had both vaccine injections and the booster and have been on 34 previous cruises including just last September.

After listening to you and the many questions you were asked and answered, we've decided - what the heck, we're going!!

I think we are going East to West, but I’ll see you aboard! Life has risks, and I am willing to try to live my life, even with the few limitations, and the possibility that we may end up like NM Cruiser 123. (from a Hokie!😉for our W & M gal!)

Last month we spent 18 days in southern Spain. We were worried about going on this trip and reserved everything refundable and with airline miles. Like many of you, we questioned ourselves many times.

One day we woke up and said enough, we're going and so be it. The only concern we had was testing positive and not be able to return. We had insurance to cover our trip delay and booked a hotel in Madrid that would allow us to stay IF we tested positive.

There were many days that we didn't even think about.... covid who?

We had so much fun that we're returning to Spain this May for 16 days. 

We're also planning 7 days on the Rotterdam next month. 

Keep on traveling! 😎

• Like 13

4 hours ago, KroozNut said:

After following this thread for a while, we're on the fence about whether to push our April sailing on Zuiderdam out.

We're on deck 6 aft, and frankly are not liking the idea of living in what seems more like a quarantine ward in a hospital than a cruise ship vacation. Not our notion of a fun time really.. 😏

If they are still planning on using deck 6, they will move you to another location.  We were supposed to be on deck 6 and got changed to deck 5 about a week and a half ago.  So, you wouldn't be in the middle of that mess at least.

1 hour ago, Cinder Again said:

I think we are going East to West, but I’ll see you aboard! Life has risks, and I am willing to try to live my life, even with the few limitations, and the possibility that we may end up like NM Cruiser 123. (from a Hokie!😉for our W & M gal!)

Yes, East to West, for sure. Must confess I have been so nervous about our 48 hour Covid test I've been a wreck. First took our scheduled PCR at CVS and were told at least 72 hours for results. Then heard a rumor an Emergent Care place nearby had rapid tests. No one else does here. Zipped over there and handed over $100, but both tested negative. Best $100 we've ever spent. See you at our Mix and Mingle soon!

4 hours ago, KroozNut said:

We are on Deck 6, aft of the quarantine section, which is only the forward (approximately) 40 cabins on this deck. Since that section is closed off, we only see it briefly when the crew comes and goes from there. 

We passed the required COVID test for the return leg of this cruise this afternoon. Here we go!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, cruzingnut said:

If they are still planning on using deck 6, they will move you to another location.  We were supposed to be on deck 6 and got changed to deck 5 about a week and a half ago.  So, you wouldn't be in the middle of that mess at least.

Interesting, and good to know thanks. When are you sailing? Since you mentioned you received notice of the relocation about a week and a half ago, I'm wondering how much in advance of your sailing is that.

And did they give you a choice of cabins on your reassignment..  were they equivalent accommodations? Depending on the deck 5 location, it may not be that desirable... like directly over the lifeboats on deck 4 for example.

4 hours ago, Cinder Again said:

LOL! Yes, East to West. My brain knew the direction but apparently my fingers, on the keyboard, decided to take a different route.

Edited by PROCRUISE

15 minutes ago, PROCRUISE said:

LOL! Yes, East to West. My brain knew the direction but apparently my fingers, on the keyboard, decided to take a different route.

As I remember if you look at the chart the ship goes travels south east when sailing from the Caribbean to the Pacific because of the geography of Panama at that point.