Sailings cancelled

jdg623

10 minutes ago, coaster said:

Why no 4x points? Are you double occupancy instead now on Odyssey?

Yes. The limited window back In the fall when there was no solo supplement does not exist now. We are booked in one cabin instead of two. Why we lost 4x points and just 2x now.

Got it. So no "lift and shift." I was actually booked on Jewel Jan 23 - Feb 6 and just cancelled a couple days ago. Lost 4x points too but after getting covid from my Dec 12 cruise I really didn't care. Just about recovered now...

1 minute ago, RoyalC said:

Got it. So no "lift and shift." I was actually booked on Jewel Jan 23 - Feb 6 and just cancelled a couple days ago. Lost 4x points too but after getting covid from my Dec 12 cruise I really didn't care. Just about recovered now...

Glad you  recovered. I booked like you before this new variant and was good to go. Had 13 nights of great cruises on Serenade end of October to the first part of December. Low capacity and was wonderful.  Seems like Royal ramped up capacity too fast over the holidays and this is the situation we are in now.

7 hours ago, bajathree said:

Well I don't think we can say we didn't see this coming. A pause of some of these ships was needed, 

I agree. It isn't a complete shutdown if some ships are still sailing. I don't know how people are handling the stress between canceled flights and canceled cruises and testing results.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

RCCL should immediately give all crew on all ships a booster.  It takes 2 weeks for that to be effective.

And even then, it may not prevent Omicron infections.  But at least it will reduce the incidents.

Masks alone obviously aren't working.

How do you know they arent boosted? John heald wrote yesterday am that all crew who were eligible for a booster have been boosted on carnival. Rcl hasnt said or I missed it that they arent boosting whomever is eligible. I think shots are easily obtainable. I cant imagine rcl isnt boosting whomever they can. .. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, coaster said:

Seems like Royal ramped up capacity too fast over the holidays and this is the situation we are in now.

With how fast this is spreading around the country and around the world it was inevitable that it would hit the cruise lines regardless of how they ramped up capacity. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Thanks Judy

We're headed your way in Spring 2024 on Serenade world cruise😁

Aloha

What a wonderful cruise!  If you stop in Hilo, maybe we can meet for lunch.  PM me when the time comes.  Al and I would love to see you guys again.

Hopefully your cruise doesn’t get canceled.

Bon Voyage 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, coaster said:

Glad you  recovered. I booked like you before this new variant and was good to go. Had 13 nights of great cruises on Serenade end of October to the first part of December. Low capacity and was wonderful.  Seems like Royal ramped up capacity too fast over the holidays and this is the situation we are in now.

Thanks. It was very crowded on Odyssey (3600 pax). Too crowded in MTD and theater for vaxxed passengers. Mask and elevator crowds not enforce (unlike Symphony). I guess with the previous successful sailings they thought maybe they were good to go. Have Adventure still booked at end of April for 13 nights so hope things are clam around that time.

1 hour ago, Teknodude said:

Why have RCI HQ in Miami been so ignorant to this for so long? 

You certainly have much more insight on the current situation that the vast majority of other members of this board. I appreciate your viewpoint and your unique perspective.  The question begs; Is it really ignorance or is something else? I would imagine that the pressure from upper level management to keep the ships at sea (at all costs) is pretty immense.

It would not surprise me in the least that the pause of the sailings was a preemptive maneuver to avoid having the effected ships from going to 'Red' by the CDC, which would become a PR disaster.

Edited by footzz
  • Like 1

@Teknodude, this has certainly been enlightening for me at least, and I appreciate you sharing your insight into the difficulties that crew are dealing with.

I don't have a solution, but wish your partner good health and let up of all of this quickly. 

Edited by cruizzing
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Thanks Judy

We're headed your way in Spring 2024 on Serenade world cruise😁

Aloha

Out of curiosity, is that the 9-month cruise on Serenade?  That would definitely be the ultimate cruise.  The longest we’ve been on a cruise was 21 days, and it did go by quickly.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I'm the opposite. I just think it's a matter of luck and timing when I get covid, not if. .. I had a appointment today at chase bank. He stood me up. Everyone at this bank brach but maybe 2 got covid. Today was the first day they opened the lobby. When they said everyone there got covid and I'm sitting there my skin was itching. ..everyone.?  Yikes. ..and i have to go back .. setting up IRA for deductions and it's time. Cant tell irs sorry I'm late withdrawing, the bankers were all sick. Not sure i want to go back in. I did wash my hands well! 

They closed my son's Chase Branch as well. He got covid just before Christmas along with most of the staff.  I also use Chase and I have been communicating over the phone and via emails for my IRA deductions.  My banker was working remotely. Perhaps you can set that up as well.

My brother and Sister in law have covid now. I have come to the conclusion that my wife and I are asymptomatic because we have been exposed multiple times since 2020 and never tested positive after we were knowingly in contact with someone who was infected she also commutes to work and works in a hospital setting where she passed the covid test line everyday.  I work in a drug store.  I almost wish I could get it just to get it over with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Teknodude said:

I don’t think I wrote the life of the crew would get better if RCI go bankrupt. If you disagree, can you quote me back. I don’t mind being disproved. 

RCI is a business which in the way they are currently operating is failing their employees. 

There was an inference that shutting down cruising is not an option. 
My counter is that it is an option. If my business can fail due to pandemic pressure, what is so special about RCI that it should be allowed to remain in operation whilst giving guests poor service and the crew are working in intolerable conditions. 

let’s try and keep the discussion sensible and civil. I have a point of view. You have one. Let’s discuss. 

But tiresome old insults like - you won the internet just doesn’t achieve much. 

You struck a nerve that you would even suggest that the cruise line would go bankrupt. There are passengers who are worried about what would happen to the FCC's that they have stockpiled over the past 2 years and are still collecting as itineraries get canceled. As someone who has lost their job after 24 years of service and is on the cusp of retirement (not due to Covid) I can tell you life goes on. I didn't perish. All I lost was a lot of vacation time. Knowing that each day I get closer to a permanent vacation keeps me looking ahead. The crew will move on as well. From what I am reading here it seems like they will quit before any bankruptcy would be a thought.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Teknodude said:

I agree. It’s not like RCI would disappear. Like UAL, or AA restructured, fixed themselves etc. 

i think the point of such a situation is new management would be drafted in by the financial institutions banks creditors etc with a view that a fresh pair of eyes on the situation might help turn it around, refocus the business. 

But I think talk of RCI bankruptcy is premature. I have no idea what their cash balances or lines of credit are right now. 

Dunno-it depends on laws of where RCL is domiciled. And its not the US. So BK rules can be better or worse.

A Firm that shorts stocks announced it was short RCL yesterday and focused on RCL diluting stock, making it a short. But that bet can go either way in the next week or two if Omicron goes away. Or not.

I would guess in a BK prepackaged so the company never shuts down, the customers are protected. Other creditors have a problem, and if RCL and Celebrity use the same vendors it means the vendors can be in trouble from concentration of customers. Come to think about it, those same vendors are likely serving the other cruise lines. .

And its also about running at near full capacity to get to breakeven cash flow. But who really knows?

Almost everything is speculation.

Edited by HMR74

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

I agree. It isn't a complete shutdown if some ships are still sailing. I don't know how people are handling the stress between canceled flights and canceled cruises and testing results.

on the bright side my resume looks great with new cruise rescheduling, flight rescheduling and pre and post cruise hotel rescheduling skills.

I do all the vacation planning in my household so I have a cheat sheet set up for each booking so my spouse knows what to do.

3 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

Dunno-it depends on laws of where RCL is domiciled. And its not the US. So BK rules can be better or worse.

A Firm that shorts stocks announced it was short RCL yesterday and focused on RCL diluting stock, making it a short. But that bet can go either way in the next week or two if Omicron goes away. Or not.

I would guess in a BK prepackaged so the company never shuts down the customers are protected. Other creditors have a problem, and if RCL and Celebrity use the same vendors it means the vendors can be in trouble.

And its also about running at near full capacity to get to breakeven cash flow. But who really knows?

Almost everything is speculation.

I worked for a retailer who when bankrupt and I can tell you first hand that the customers are the last to be protected. They had 30 days to redeem and unused gift cards . After that they had to stand in line and wait with the vendors, real estate and utility companies. The people who hang on to the end received bonus incentives and a pay raise to stay. As long as they stayed to the end they got a bonus. I received the largest bonus and made the most money that I ever made in 24 yrs of service. The courts decide who gets paid and they make the rules along the way. We couldn't have garbage removal until they authorized payment. 

7 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

On the upside, I am flying to Palm Springs (if covid allows) on Sunday the 16th and I have 3 rounds of golf planned, and hiking at Joshua Tree.  

Since you've already had it recently, you should probably be fine. 

6 minutes ago, HMR74 said:

on the bright side my resume looks great with new cruise rescheduling, flight rescheduling and pre and post cruise hotel rescheduling skills.

I do all the vacation planning in my household so I have a cheat sheet set up for each booking so my spouse knows what to do.

You have to stay organized. I wonder how many cruisers learned how to make an excel spreadsheet during the pandemic?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I worked for a retailer who when bankrupt and I can tell you first hand that the customers are the last to be protected. They had 30 days to redeem and unused gift cards . After that they had to stand in line and wait with the vendors, real estate and utility companies. The people who hang on to the end received bonus incentives and a pay raise to stay. As long as they stayed to the end they got a bonus. I received the largest bonus and made the most money that I ever made in 24 yrs of service. The courts decide who gets paid and they make the rules along the way. We couldn't have garbage removal until they authorized payment. 

A BK prepackaged with the intent to keep the company going has to protect customers so that the creditors go along with the deal. Its basically a debtor in possession deal where a credtors committee runs the show because they need the business for their companies.  They will be sacrificing perhaps a significant portion  their receivables anyway so they have to have an opportunity to get money out of it. Part of the deal allos them to get that money back .

RCL was showing ~20% profit on sales before the pandemic. Thats a nice carrot if creditors are willing to sacrifice a portion of what they are oweed to keep the business going. They do not want it (or any of the cruise lines goinng under) as there is no market for one asset, the ships-there is a glut of new ships and the old ones, like Vision which I was on in the 90's just are not worth that much.

But the value of its customer is  future cash flow and thats worth a ton. Part of thats been used by handing out FCC's etc.

I am pretty sure the creditors other than us guests have studied the situation in depth and the loans so far replect the willingness to lend more but there is a limit.

Just some late Friday night thoughts from somebody with just ~15k tied up in FCCs and deposits and careful now about making final payments,

BTW-I was just able to transfer 2 spring 2022 bookings to spring 2023 and I lost a goodwill OBC and as well double points.

Edited by HMR74
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

You have to stay organized. I wonder how many cruisers learned how to make an excel spreadsheet during the pandemic?

I am only concerned that if something happens to me, my wife will not know what to do. So I have manila folders for reach trip and all the reservations etc and what to do, who to notify, along with ID's and passwords for things like a Airbnb/verbo/hertz etc and even the airlines are listed on the inside front cover of the folder.  no reason to forget to cancel and be charged for something. I do not  think she has booked a flight in decades.

on the issue of cancelling, I feel like I am a quarterback calling audibles all the time.

No choice but to go with the flow.

6 hours ago, JsMom2 said:

So disappointed my B2B on JW for Jan 23 and 28th was cancelled.  For a hot minute I thought about rebooking on BR for Jan 22nd, so I can go NOW, but I didn't want to set myself up for another disappointment.  Rebooked for Dec 2022.

Now keeping my fingers crossed this clears up before my WN inaugural in March!!!

Not trying to burst anyones bubble but I think they will postpone the Wonder....in the mist of all this just can't really see them bringing it on in March for such a short Caribbean season just to sail her back to Europe.

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

With how fast this is spreading around the country and around the world it was inevitable that it would hit the cruise lines regardless of how they ramped up capacity. 

IMO they defiantly ramped up capacity way too fast. Just like the new normal going foward is COVID is here for us to live with...so are capacity situations. No one feels comfortable packed in like sardines anymore...people want space. The new normal is reduced capacity...think the cruise lines are going to need to learn to live with that. Bit ironic that RCI operations is still working from home like many companies but they felt it OK to ramp up capacity on their ships hitting 80% or better on some especially during the holiday sailings.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

They closed my son's Chase Branch as well. He got covid just before Christmas along with most of the staff.  I also use Chase and I have been communicating over the phone and via emails for my IRA deductions.  My banker was working remotely. Perhaps you can set that up as well.

My brother and Sister in law have covid now. I have come to the conclusion that my wife and I are asymptomatic because we have been exposed multiple times since 2020 and never tested positive after we were knowingly in contact with someone who was infected she also commutes to work and works in a hospital setting where she passed the covid test line everyday.  I work in a drug store.  I almost wish I could get it just to get it over with.

My ira deductions have not started or been set up is why I want to meet in person. Someone else called who can meet next week I hope and she asked me do I want to also withhold tax. The whole pt of transferring it to them was to set up withdrawals. If I wanted to set them up myself over the phone I would have left them at fidelity. 

Lady who is head of investments says she will meet me next week. She called late today. I said if you cancel please call. Dont stand me up again. Covid or no covid I shouldnt have been stood up. 

I wish rcl well, 7 days I set up a covid test at CVS. I think everyone has more anxiety passing covid tests lately. Dont board until jan 30th. 

Edited by firefly333

14 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Shutdown v 2.0, the return of the 125%FCC - where are the shutdown proponents with their pom-poms?

Just say noooooo!

15 hours ago, MillyBean said:

Oh no!!  That stinks.  I hope they don't cancel any more.. We are on Allure in 16 Jan.  

We are also on that cruise and the following one. Keeping my fingers crossed.  🤞🏻

8 hours ago, JsMom2 said:

…Now keeping my fingers crossed this clears up before my WN inaugural in March!!!

We are on the first 3 weeks in March. I’m hoping since we will be the first people on the ship that there won’t be any covid cases as long as the crew are good to go.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

based on the number of folks on here who can't even manage the royal app, not much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4