Wheelchairs On Cruises?

CChamp

In Oct my wife and I are going on the Horizon with another couple. Our female friend cannot walk distances so we are thinking of getting a wheelchair to get her the majority of the way then she can walk thru stores, lido deck buffet etc. If anyone can give me ANY info about wheelchairs on cruises it will be majorly appreciated. Info such as how to go about getting one, price, where they can be kept when not using it, is there places to put it while going into shops, pool etc. Anything else will greatly help. Thank you

A walker might be more appropriate as it sounds like she has some mobility. A Dual Mode Walkier with larger 8 or 10" wheels that might be more appropriate. Some are much more flexible and can be used as a walker or a transport (Somebody pushing) mode . Buying it outright is probably cheaper than renting. These types mid-range dual mode are about $150-$200. Look for foldable units.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Consider a transport chair. Those are the ones without wheels on the sides you have to push. You can buy one under $100. I sprung for a super light weight brand around $150 I think. Much much lighter, just pull up the seat to fold in half. Much easier to pick up and handle than a real wheel chair. They weight a ton. 

Not certain of your ages, but pushing someone in a heavy wheelchair isn’t easy, especially on a large ship like the Carnival Horizon. She might be better off with a lightweight transport chair. I use my mobility scooter but before that I had a dual mode rollator; it’s a rollator that the person can push and sit for a break, but also allows for someone else to push you. It has the foot rests so you don’t have to leave your feet dangling. Also, there are many places to stop and sit along the way.

it would probably be better as someone else mentioned to purchase the lightweight foldable transport chair or rollator rather than renting, as that can be very pricey.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, CChamp said:

Thank you all for the help. A Walker wouldn't work but the Transport Chair looks like it would work fine.

Hi Champ

Buy a regular wheelchair. Pushing a "transport chair" isn't as efficient as a normal chair because of those small wheels and those regular chairs aren't that heavy. It's not for just getting around the ship. Are you going to fly? She would benefit having it in the airports. They are not considered baggage. Once off the ship at the port of calls you don't want a transport chair (those small wheels can break easily on rough terrain), unless you aren't planning on doing anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi Champ

Buy a regular wheelchair. Pushing a "transport chair" isn't as efficient as a normal chair because of those small wheels and those regular chairs aren't that heavy. It's not for just getting around the ship. Are you going to fly? She would benefit having it in the airports. They are not considered baggage. Once off the ship at the port of calls you don't want a transport chair (those small wheels can break easily on rough terrain), unless you aren't planning on doing anything.

You need to consider the age and strength of the person who will be pushing the party in question.  Is it a male that is 40 or a male that is 60?  Or a female?  The weight difference between a full size wheelchair versus a transport chair is night and day.

Need to know more specific information before you make a general assumption about what the best option is for the OP.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

You need to consider the age and strength of the person who will be pushing the party in question.  Is it a male that is 40 or a male that is 60?  Or a female?  The weight difference between a full size wheelchair versus a transport chair is night and day.

No matter what the situation it is easier to push the regular chair compared to the transport chair, just because of the wheels. The weight difference of the chairs is minor to begin with and when rolling on wheels that becomes negligible (I would disagree with "night & day"). The few pounds difference in weight and that it can fold slightly more are the only benefits of a transfer chair (also the cost). They are mainly used on level hard floors like in an apartment or hospital, to move someone for short distances. Also one big limitation for those chairs is that even if a person were able, someone seated can't operate it. I would I say that if someone were not able to push a chair with a person in it,  it doesn't matter what kind of chair the person was in.

• Like 2

My late wife used a wheel chair on our last 5 cruises ending in 2007. No problem in the room, as they fold pretty tight. We had a regular chair, and it was very easy to push. At that time, I was between 59 and 65 years old. My wife weighed about 140, and I had no problem pushing it. The only problem is on some islan ds where there are cobblestones, but that was more uncomfortable for her than me. The chairs aren't that expensive, and last a lifetime with any care.

• Like 2

A few years back, my sister in law just had foot surgery and had to use a wheelchair on the cruise.  We were totally shocked at the way the fellow passengers acted when trying to get on the elevator at the end of the shore excursions.  They literally pushed their way around her in the chair.  After having that done about five times, her grand daughter who was pushing her made it very clear that the next person that pushed their way around her was going to get knocked on their @$$.  She got on the next elevator.

I strongly suggest that if you do take her ashore, make sure you get back onboard before the crowd starts coming back.

• Like 2

We just got back from the Magic this week.  I pushed my dad all week in a transport wheelchair that we have at home.  It was very easy to push and folded up very easily.  It was nice at the airport because it let us get in a separate faster line.  On the ship there were a lot of bumps to go over in the halls.  Most of them were easy but some of the larger ones were a pain as we had to push down on the back of the chair to get it to go over the hump.  Everyone was very considerate and there was always a place to fold it up when we needed to.  We sat in the back at shows and just folded it up in the entry right beside us.  Also at the buffets it folded up and was stuck between tables.  We had my dad sit down and bought all his food to him.  When you get off the ship, you definitely cannot push it in sand.  He can walk a little ways so that wasn't a problem.  He weighs around 140 so that made it easy to push.  I definitely would not want a large one.  I did see larger ones that were rentals from carnival sitting in the hallway near the elevators folded up against a wall.  Im guessing they wouldnt fit in a room so were kept there.  They were the ones with the large back wheels.

When my mom started having ambulatory issues, we progressed from a walker, to a wheel chair to an electric scooter.   A walker is an option is the guest is ok walking back and forth across a large ship like Panorama.  For example,  from your room to breakfast, lunch and dinner (all rear in ship).  Then head to Bingo game, in theatre in front of ship, then want to to go to trivia, held in lounge at rear of ship, etc...  You can walk across the ship several times and this wore her out.  

Next time brought a wheel chair and I pushed her.  I was 115 pounds, she was 250.  It wore me out and I had to be with her where she wanted to go.  

As she got  worse we brought the scooter,  way better for both of us, not so great for other passengers.  She could go wherever she wanted, when she wanted.  I would take her to the lido buffet when we first got on and look for a good server on first day.  Once I found one, asked what there station area was and introduced them to my mom, gave them a tip and said, please bring her whatever she wants whenever you see her.  Worked great.  Mom could head up to lido when she wanted, food would be brought to her if I was not there, she could then head across the ship to go to bingo, etc....  The bad part for other guests is she could never steer the thing and was like a drunk driver.  She didn't drink.  

• Like 1