Non-refundable deposit

KPookey

Has anyone been refunded their non-refundable deposit?  Our was $250 per person placed in fall of 2019 for a July 2020 cruise (which never sailed). We have it deposited on a summer cruise. Our group is opting to cancel at this point. 

I am assuming we will be out the deposit, but wanted to check if anyone had any luck with a refund. We DID not use insurance or a travel agent.

16 minutes ago, KPookey said:

Has anyone been refunded their non-refundable deposit?  Our was $250 per person placed in fall of 2019 for a July 2020 cruise (which never sailed). We have it deposited on a summer cruise. Our group is opting to cancel at this point. 

I am assuming we will be out the deposit, but wanted to check if anyone had any luck with a refund. We DID not use insurance or a travel agent.

We have one coming for our early Feb cruise. Our TA really went to bat for us. 

20 minutes ago, KPookey said:

I booked a November 2020 cruise on Oasis way back in November 2019 with a NRD. It has now been changed 3X with no penalty.  The first was a L&S to November, 2021, then I changed it to January, 2022 and again to October, 2022.

Each time I have made a change my TA or Royal  allowed me to carry over my insurance to the next date, so I really haven't been interested in getting a refund. (Know this doesn't apply to you, but our insurance is expensive because of  my husband's age and pre existing conditions.)

I doubt that you will be able to get a refund on cruise so far out, but hey you can always call Royal and ask.

Edited by mek

26 minutes ago, KPookey said:

I would wait and see closer to your date. See if by then you can cancel and get a refund. Thru may now final payme is 30 days out. See if that continues to your date. I'd wait and see before losing my deposit. 

• Like 2

I understand the value of a TA and insurance. When planned,  it was a 5 day cruise we were driving to, which would have cost $600ish per person.  Not worth paying the insurance to us, at the time (2019).  So much has happened since, obviously. My concern is, mostly, for someone I’m sailing with who will be out 5 deposits. Thanks.

46 minutes ago, KPookey said:

Currently if you cancel or change ship or sail date you would lose $100 per person and the remainder would be issued as a FCC..

Your best bet right now is to wait.  Your final payment is not due until sometime in April so yo have nothing to lose and everything to gain by waiting.

By waiting you are hoping that Royal extends the Cruise with Confidence that will allow you to cancel or change ship and sail date without penalty.  You still wont be able to get a refund but you will be able to move your deposit without penalty.

The only way to get a refund would involve making final payment and hoping that Royal is then offering the same options as they are today.

• Like 1