Thoughts on Tipping

bedenbl

An emotive subject!

Heres our take 

1. Azamara crew don’t react to tips. You get great care and little special attention whether you tip or not so if you think you need to tip to get special treatment forget that. 

2.  We have tipped but only for above and beyond. If a butler does their job eg brings breakfast and other items and we only ask in a normal pattern eg afternoon tea when it’s being served we do not tip extra. We are so low maintenance we rarely even ask the butler to fulfil their job description! 

3.  The big HOWEVER- we always make a donation to the crew welfare fund via guest relations. That’s our extra tip at least  equivalent sum to what we’d distribute among a few individuals and is then to the benefit of everyone seen and unseen and funds parties, crew excursions and activities. 

Others views may differ. 

• Like 9

My take is very much like uktog.  First of all there is no requirement to tip extra unless you want to and it's not expected by the crew.  Having said that I'm always blown away by the service and now, instead of tipping individually I too donate to the staff welfare fund.  You can arrange this through Guest Relations and will be much appreciated. 

The other thing I do if I've been on the ship a while, say b2b and have received great service from the bar staff is seek out the Bar Manager and give him some cash to arrange a social for the team.  Drinks, nibbles, a bingo prize for the evening.  I know that is hugely appreciated too and a nice way to recognise the whole team do a great job.  

Phil

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This is always a provocative topic. It is often dictated by culture and habit.

We always tip our key people at the end of an Azamara cruise. It is just the way we've done it for years. As American's now living in Greece tipping is just part of our DNA.

We realize that tipping is not a custom for others in different parts of the world. For instance, in many EU countries, a tip is built into the price of a food and beverage item.

Since we go back to Azamara frequently we do feel 'appreciated', even on the 1st day of our cruises. Our our recent b2b cruise we found ourselves on the 1st day with a group of crew members surrounding us 'welcoming us back' as we sipped wine aft at the Sunset Bar. 

Is our overall service experience improved by this tipping gesture? We think it is but we are not doing it for that reason ... culturally, we think it is the right thing to do.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GlobalMethod said:

This is always a provocative topic. It is often dictated by culture and habit.

We always tip our key people at the end of an Azamara cruise. It is just the way we've done it for years. As American's now living in Greece tipping is just part of our DNA.

We realize that tipping is not a custom for others in different parts of the world. For instance, in many EU countries, a tip is built into the price of a food and beverage item.

Since we go back to Azamara frequently we do feel 'appreciated', even on the 1st day of our cruises. Our our recent b2b cruise we found ourselves on the 1st day with a group of crew members surrounding us 'welcoming us back' as we sipped wine aft at the Sunset Bar. 

Is our overall service experience improved by this tipping gesture? We think it is but we are not doing it for that reason ... culturally, we think it is the right thing to do.

I honestly don't think it's a provactive subject, certainly not on Azamara and thankfully tipping threads don't go that way on this board. Bottom line is tips are included in the fare and crew don't expect to get extra, but will be very grateful if you do. Much more appreciated are positive comments from guests. Singling crew members out on the attention to detail cards during the cruise and/or recognising them on the post cruise questionnaire can be much more valuable to them. 

Phil 

• Like 12

9 hours ago, uktog said:

An emotive subject!

Heres our take 

1. Azamara crew don’t react to tips. You get great care and little special attention whether you tip or not so if you think you need to tip to get special treatment forget that. 

2.  We have tipped but only for above and beyond. If a butler does their job eg brings breakfast and other items and we only ask in a normal pattern eg afternoon tea when it’s being served we do not tip extra. We are so low maintenance we rarely even ask the butler to fulfil their job description! 

3.  The big HOWEVER- we always make a donation to the crew welfare fund via guest relations. That’s our extra tip at least  equivalent sum to what we’d distribute among a few individuals and is then to the benefit of everyone seen and unseen and funds parties, crew excursions and activities. 

Others views may differ. 

Agree.  Really no need to tip individuals unless you've had some issue that required some kind of special effort.  The crew is terrific.  Reward them all with a generous gift to the Crew Welfare Fund.

• Like 9

American here, and I truly resent having to tip people for doing the job they chose to do. I never got tips as a physician, and would be aghast if someone offered one! That said, I was not aware of the Azamara Crew Welfare Fund. I would have no problem contributing to that in a heartbeat. Transatlantic in mid March. (MAYBE...)

• Like 3

I tip extra..have for years. Now with covid and knowing what  they are going thru to keep a home I tip.  But I get to pick the amount. 
hate going to the spa and being told what to give..included in the price  if service, to me that is wrong! 

• Like 3

I really don't understand this 'need' for passengers to tip anyone, especially on a non tipping cruise. I have yet to partake of my first cruise due to recent cancellations, but I am booked on an Azamara cruise in March.

I specifically choose Azamara because it is advertised as a non tipping cruise line, as I disagree on principle with the very concept of tipping. Whatever anyone says, it very much is a divisive subject, yet is one that could be completely solved by making all cruising non tipping. Then there would be no arguments, no people feeling that they have to tip because people are 'staring daggers' at them or having to sit with people who want to be the centre of attention by waving their money about.

The who idea of the premium and luxury lines being non tipping was to achieve this harmony, with staff being paid the correct salary for the job and passengers paying the correct fare. If people start to tip on non tipping cruises, then like it or not, it will eventually become an expectation and eventually compulsory, and the whole process will go back to how it was.

Feel free to donate to a benevolent fund or other charity, but for people to directly tip on a non tipping cruise is disrespectful to those who have chosen a specific cruise line especially because it has this policy.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Peter Lanky said:

I really don't understand this 'need' for passengers to tip anyone, especially on a non tipping cruise. I have yet to partake of my first cruise due to recent cancellations, but I am booked on an Azamara cruise in March.

I specifically choose Azamara because it is advertised as a non tipping cruise line, as I disagree on principle with the very concept of tipping. Whatever anyone says, it very much is a divisive subject, yet is one that could be completely solved by making all cruising non tipping. Then there would be no arguments, no people feeling that they have to tip because people are 'staring daggers' at them or having to sit with people who want to be the centre of attention by waving their money about.

The who idea of the premium and luxury lines being non tipping was to achieve this harmony, with staff being paid the correct salary for the job and passengers paying the correct fare. If people start to tip on non tipping cruises, then like it or not, it will eventually become an expectation and eventually compulsory, and the whole process will go back to how it was.

Feel free to donate to a benevolent fund or other charity, but for people to directly tip on a non tipping cruise is disrespectful to those who have chosen a specific cruise line especially because it has this policy.

Could not have said it better.

• Like 1

For me, its all about fairness.  Whilst I can see the "policy argument"  its a bit convoluted and I cannot buy the "life is hard so tip them" debate, unless you individually tip every crew member.  Therefore a donation that is distributed evenly to all crew or a specific group is the fairest way.  

Some staff can be "ostentatious" in their behaviour and may encourage people to tip them extra whereas there is someone who just quietly works really hard and is equally deserving.  Can you really be sure someone did that "extra thing" or did he/she just get someone else to do it but dressed it up as they had done it - I have certainly seen examples on Azamara of some making out they did things you realise they did not.

However, maybe some guests are higher maintenance and giving extra is appropriate as crew are having to do much more to meet their special requests.

But bottom line, when I am giving extra, I want to do it fairly and not just to one or two people.

• Like 4

We frequently cruise with a group of 8 to 10 people (a couple with some physical or dietary issues) so we sometimes need some extra attention when making reservations or just everyday issues.   If someone assists us above and beyond, we will often pool some cash and hand out tips to people who have assisted in making our trip easier or ore enjoyable.  On our last Azamara cruise (Cuba, before it was closed to Americans) we handed out quite a few tips.  The Journey's crew was amazing on that trip!

52 minutes ago, uktog said:

For me, its all about fairness.  Whilst I can see the "policy argument"  its a bit convoluted and I cannot buy the "life is hard so tip them" debate, unless you individually tip every crew member.  Therefore a donation that is distributed evenly to all crew or a specific group is the fairest way.  

Some staff can be "ostentatious" in their behaviour and may encourage people to tip them extra whereas there is someone who just quietly works really hard and is equally deserving.  Can you really be sure someone did that "extra thing" or did he/she just get someone else to do it but dressed it up as they had done it - I have certainly seen examples on Azamara of some making out they did things you realise they did not.

However, maybe some guests are higher maintenance and giving extra is appropriate as crew are having to do much more to meet their special requests.

But bottom line, when I am giving extra, I want to do it fairly and not just to one or two people.

Some years ago there were concerns about cruisers who had dietary issues receiving extra attention and, since one of us falls into that category, we felt it appropriate to reward staff in Discoveries who looked after said concerns for most of the cruise.

Further reflection, and guidance on this forum, led us to uktog's position that we were ignoring those who were helping behind the scenes. For some time we have donated to the Welfare Fund and receive a nice thank-you letter in exchange.

In fact, if they haven't already done so, I hope they will remove the tipping component from the specialty restaurants as, occasionally, it does lead to some rather "ostentatious" and distracting service.

I also must say that on Azamara if tipping occurs it is discrete. I can't remember ever noticing it.

• Like 3

I think the biggest reason I'm married to Azamara IS the no tipping policy! Service is beyond excellent. When you are zoning out in the Living Room minding your own business and a member of the wait staff comes over asking if you want a drink, you know the service is genuine, and he doesn't have his hand in your pocket. It makes a huge difference, wherever you go on board, knowing these people are well taken care of by Azamara, and their hospitality is genuine. And if I can throw $50 into fund for the entire crew to keep the them just a bit happier with their jobs, I have no problem with that. But that is my choice! 

• Like 1

OK, I get it - you are coming from the no tipping culture and it’s your personal choice.

For me the tipping on the ship is different from let’s say the restaurant where you see the waiter for the first time and probably won’t see him ever again. On the ship we interact with the crew members on the daily basis and get to know them. They work hard away from their families that they need to support. We’re enjoying our vacation. It’s not just about tipping for what they are doing for us, we give them some extra money to brighten their day and make them little happier too.

• Like 3

On 1/17/2022 at 8:24 AM, nordski said:

Some years ago there were concerns about cruisers who had dietary issues receiving extra attention and, since one of us falls into that category, we felt it appropriate to reward staff in Discoveries who looked after said concerns for most of the cruise.

Further reflection, and guidance on this forum, led us to uktog's position that we were ignoring those who were helping behind the scenes. For some time we have donated to the Welfare Fund and receive a nice thank-you letter in exchange.

In fact, if they haven't already done so, I hope they will remove the tipping component from the specialty restaurants as, occasionally, it does lead to some rather "ostentatious" and distracting service.

I also must say that on Azamara if tipping occurs it is discrete. I can't remember ever noticing it.

I agree that it would be great to remove the tip line in the specialty restaurants (and the spa). It feels uncomfortable not leaving a tip (and in the case of the spa, an EXTRA tip) when that’s put in front of you.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

I agree that it would be great to remove the tip line in the specialty restaurants (and the spa). It feels uncomfortable not leaving a tip (and in the case of the spa, an EXTRA tip) when that’s put in front of you.

I can sort of understand tipping in the specialties, as they might want to further distinguish those facilities from the other dining areas. But I hope they rethink that policy  

as, in our opinion, the “distinction” isn’t always a positive one.

What is the rationale for the spa? Is it because there is a tradition, at least in North America, of  tipping for those services? Are the spas run through a contractual relationship with a provider?

The spas are definitely run through a contractual relationship! In fact, officially, the whole thalasso deck is off limits to passengers unless you are Suite level or have made separate arrangements with the spa in advance to use it. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, NC&KY said:

DW spoke with her therapist when we were last on Quest (seems like decades ago!), who told her the ONLY money the masseuse gets is the tips.

To some degree I am not surprised.  For years, cruise lines with established gratuity programs (think most mainstream lines) paid those in the gratuity pool (waiters, room attendants, bar servers and the like) $50 per month give or take (plus room and board, of course).  When anyone stiffed them by removing gratuities, it dealt a real and significant blow. 

Edited by ECCruise
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Travels with Lisa said:

That can't be!  They don't get paid a salary for all the time they are there?

I believe they are paid a salary, not a huge one, but some unscrupulous ones spin the “your tips are all I get” tale to guilt trip guests to giving more 

• Like 1