Princess needs to rethink how they handle food & drink orders on the medallion app

CineGraphic

When we were on the Caribbean Princess last week, if you stood directly in front of the counter at the International Cafe, the app showed International Cafe and the coffee order went to the International Cafe.  If you sat down in the Piazza, the app said Piazza and the coffee order went to room service.  With the app the drink order is correct 90% of the time and if you order at the counter or through the waitstaff, the order is correct less than 50% of the time.  They are trying to avoid congestion at the counter but with the issues with the app, it is hard to comply.

Also added to the app is how many specialty coffees have been ordered but it always showed 0/15 used on the cruise.  In addition if you order a regular coffee on the app, it deducts it as a specialty coffee.

From above post—- is there a limit on how many specialty coffees you can have per day with the Plus package? 
other limits?

I know there is something about this with alcohol- not a problem here 

limit on bottle water? Milkshakes?

18 minutes ago, dog said:

From above post—- is there a limit on how many specialty coffees you can have per day with the Plus package? 
other limits?

I know there is something about this with alcohol- not a problem here 

limit on bottle water? Milkshakes?

The only limit is on alcoholic drinks (15).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2022 at 6:10 PM, san diego sue said:

I noticed on the last couple of recent cruises, lots of dishes, glasses etc left out in the hall. Much more than usual. I  hate seeing the filthy dishes . With food being delivered more frequently via the appl., those same rude people are putting more dirty dishes  out than usual.

May not be people's fault(although not an excuse), with room serviced by room stewards being once a day now. My room steward would come in in the evening to drop off the next day's patter. If I had dirty dishes or glasses, he didn't remove them. We just used the shelf where the TV use to be in the balcony cabins above the bar area to stack anything. It got removed in the morning. No reason to ever put dishes out in the hallway.

I would not be happy if my room steward didn’t clear away dirty dishes in the evening. No reason for them to be left outside the door. Just off Regal and I didn’t see dirty dishes in the hall very much at all.

21 minutes ago, RNRcruisers said:

I would not be happy if my room steward didn’t clear away dirty dishes in the evening. No reason for them to be left outside the door. Just off Regal and I didn’t see dirty dishes in the hall very much at all.

My room steward did remove any dirty dishes when he left the Patter in my room at night. I did not ask for evening turn down service.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coral said:

My room steward did remove any dirty dishes when he left the Patter in my room at night. I did not ask for evening turn down service.

This was also our experience on the CB in early January.

8 minutes ago, Coral said:

Glad to hear that. I like turn down, clean towels, garbage gone in the evening. Do I have to ask for that?

Just now, dog said:

Glad to hear that. I like turn down, clean towels, garbage gone in the evening. Do I have to ask for that?

When I met with my room steward - he asked if I wanted 2x a day service. As much as I like 2x a day service, I couldn't justify it - I was sailing solo on this cruise and said no. I did ask that he leave double the amount of towels in my room in case I showered 2x that day.

As it turned out - it was all fine. He did leave me extra towels, he took away my dirty dishes when he brought the Patter in in the evening.

If you want turn down service - when you see him the first day, just tell them.

My room steward played a game with me every day - "hide the remote". I am not sure if he realized it was a game but in the evenings I struggled to find it. Later I thought - he always put it in the same place but it wasn't where I expected it to be. You would have thought I would have caught on!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Coral said:

Ours did as well. We didn’t ask for turn down service but he always did a little clean up, towels, etc. and removed dishes. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Stewards tend to work split shifts, so I'm not sure how they handle calls for the pick-up of dishes and trays while they are on break.

Right. I guess that's a challenge for their HR department to figure out.

My cabin steward on the Majestic in August gave me evening turndown because of a miscommunication. I did not realize that the options were morning service or twice daily service. I was trying to tell him that I wouldn't mind just evening service.

On the Caribbean Princess last month, I asked for the evening turndown service just once so that my cabin steward would pick up my laundry that night. On the other nights, he did not clear dirty glasses. I did not have any other dirty dishes in the evening.

55 minutes ago, jimbo1683 said:

Right. I guess that's a challenge for their HR department to figure out.

Sorry, but HR departments don't normally deal with things like scheduling or duties.

This is a concern for the housekeeping and room service departments.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 9:51 AM, Ride-The-Waves said:

The only real reason Princess has invested so much on Medallion technology is they expect a good return on investment. 

With the amount of $$$ being spent to develop the app and actually make it work and implement its use on the ships, "you know what" will freeze over before there is a positive return on investment for this project.

Carnival Corp's intention is for the Medallion technology to be implemented on the ships of all of its brands with Princess being the first. I have no idea if the development costs are spread among the various brands or being forced on Princess entirely.

Back when the initial Medallion rollout was scheduled, Princess had a contest with the winner winning a free cruise for two on the first scheduled Medallion voyage. I have wondered if the winner ended up on that cruise without the Medallion being used or if was switched to a later cruise that did have the Medallion.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, gullgeorge said:

Also added to the app is how many specialty coffees have been ordered but it always showed 0/15 used on the cruise.  In addition if you order a regular coffee on the app, it deducts it as a specialty coffee.

<shakes head> 🙄

9 hours ago, Coral said:

. . .

My room steward played a game with me every day - "hide the remote". I am not sure if he realized it was a game but in the evenings I struggled to find it. Later I thought - he always put it in the same place but it wasn't where I expected it to be. You would have thought I would have caught on!

So, don't leave us hanging -- where was the remote?!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, gullgeorge said:

I suspect the specialty coffee tracking was added for those who purchased coffee packages. 

14 hours ago, gullgeorge said:

When we were on the Caribbean Princess last week, if you stood directly in front of the counter at the International Cafe, the app showed International Cafe and the coffee order went to the International Cafe.  If you sat down in the Piazza, the app said Piazza and the coffee order went to room service. 

What a great app!

14 hours ago, gullgeorge said:

With the app the drink order is correct 90% of the time and if you order at the counter or through the waitstaff, the order is correct less than 50% of the time. 

Such an improvement from before the app when ordering at the counter or through the waitstaff almost always got you exactly what you ordered.