TV Tech Help

seagunthera

No personal experience, but posts in other threads have said it is difficult to impossible.

The remote control does not allow any configuration changes like your remote at home can do.

Some people said they can do various configuration changes if they bring a universal remote from home, but those have been to select another input connection and sometimes the other input connections are disabled.

Some have posted that if they disconnect the cable to the TV and insert their own cable from their laptop to the TV it might work, but reaching the connection point is not always easy.

I would plan on watching any WIFI movies on your laptop.

I don't know about mirroring, but connecting via HDMI cable depends on the model of TV in the cabin. I saved this from someone's CC post several years ago (with thanks to the original poster). It worked for me on Ruby Princess in Nov 2019, maybe it will help:

"Just got off the Aug 11 sailing on the Caribbean Princess to the western Caribbean. Will likely write up a complete review later, but for reference, it is possible to connect your HDMI device to the new TVs that are part of OceanView/Ocean Medallion on Caribbean Princess. Our room had new 4K LG TVs that were roughly 40-45 inches.

The procedure is a bit tricky and unintuitive, but here is the procedure:

1.    Connect your HDMI device to the HDMI port on the left side of the TV. Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port used by the the OceanView box.

2.    Using the remote, launch one of the live TV channels. The bridge camera or the ship information channel usually work, but you may have to try one of the live TV channels (e.g. MSNBC).

3.    Reach under the middle of the TV to find the on-TV directional jogger. Press in once to open the circular four-way menu, then toggle left and select the input selector. A menu will open on the right side of the TV. There should be a red dot next to "Live TV" (if the dot is next to HDMI, you didn't do step two correctly).
4.    Toggle down to HDMI and select it. This should successfully switch the input to your HDMI device."

Turning off the TV when finished, reset it to the original input when turned back on.

A Chromecast device, casting movies from my phone, also worked for me on Ruby. The trick here is not so much the physical connections, but setting up a local wireless network connected to MedallionNet. The advantage is that it also gives you all your streaming services.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I used an hdmi cable on Regal, but this was before the medallion-net setup.

In some cabins ... like the sideways insides ... with just the 'wrong orientation' ...

the TV is wall mounted in a corner ... and you can't reach any of the inputs.

6 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

I don't know about mirroring, but connecting via HDMI cable depends on the model of TV in the cabin. I saved this from someone's CC post several years ago (with thanks to the original poster). It worked for me on Ruby Princess in Nov 2019, maybe it will help:

"Just got off the Aug 11 sailing on the Caribbean Princess to the western Caribbean. Will likely write up a complete review later, but for reference, it is possible to connect your HDMI device to the new TVs that are part of OceanView/Ocean Medallion on Caribbean Princess. Our room had new 4K LG TVs that were roughly 40-45 inches.

1.    Connect your HDMI device to the HDMI port on the left side of the TV. Use the open HDMI above the ethernet port used by the the OceanView box.

2.    Using the remote, launch one of the live TV channels. The bridge camera or the ship information channel usually work, but you may have to try one of the live TV channels (e.g. MSNBC).

3.    Reach under the middle of the TV to find the on-TV directional jogger. Press in once to open the circular four-way menu, then toggle left and select the input selector. A menu will open on the right side of the TV. There should be a red dot next to "Live TV" (if the dot is next to HDMI, you didn't do step two correctly).
4.    Toggle down to HDMI and select it. This should successfully switch the input to your HDMI device."

Turning off the TV when finished, reset it to the original input when turned back on.

A Chromecast device, casting movies from my phone, also worked for me on Ruby. The trick here is not so much the physical connections, but setting up a local wireless network connected to MedallionNet. The advantage is that it also gives you all your streaming services.

Undoubtedly correct, but the ability to access the TV is heavily dependent on the specific ship, TV model, location etc. I checked out the install on the Sky back in November, and the TV was very close to the cabin wall, fixed in place and not movable.  The necessary connections were so inaccessible, that there was no way even a small child could get their hands in there to access an HDMI port.

45 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

Undoubtedly correct, but the ability to access the TV is heavily dependent on the specific ship, TV model, location etc. I checked out the install on the Sky back in November, and the TV was very close to the cabin wall, fixed in place and not movable.  The necessary connections were so inaccessible, that there was no way even a small child could get their hands in there to access an HDMI port.

The last ship we were on was the Regal & had a TV that could easily be swung out at the bottom. (most are very difficult) It was easy to plug in the HDMI cable & them leave it in place for our whole cruise. I'm not sure if the Majestic or Sky have similar setups but I suspect they do.

We brought a Roku device with a thumb drive filled with movies & didn't watch 1/4 of them since the ship had loads we hadn't previous seen. I have the model which has earphones which is great not to disturb the other person in early morning. 

We didn't have unlimited internet service so I didn't try to connect to the ships Wi-Fi but next cruise I'll give it a shot.  

We have been on the Majestic twice in the past couple of months.

The input function has been totally disabled on their TV'S (LD brand).  We had universal remote and HDMI adapters.  

But, we were able to stream Netflix, Hulu and Spectrum Live TV on our tablet without any issues.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We have been on the Majestic twice in the past couple of months.

The input function has been totally disabled on their TV'S (LD brand).  We had universal remote and HDMI adapters.  

But, we were able to stream Netflix, Hulu and Spectrum Live TV on our tablet without any issues.

Did you try the instruction above outlined by SinbadThePorter?

It sometimes takes a couple of tries to get it to latch properly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Many posters are already bringing file cabinets of documentation to 'prove' this or that related to their cruise.

They can just throw in some forceps, too.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Did you try the instruction above outlined by SinbadThePorter?

It sometimes takes a couple of tries to get it to latch properly. 

No, I didn't do what Sinbad recommended.  We are going to be on the Emerald in a couple of weeks (for a month) and will try his suggestion.

46 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Many posters are already bringing file cabinets of documentation to 'prove' this or that related to their cruise.

They can just throw in some forceps, too.

Not a bad idea.

A small pair of needle nose plyers might help since the HDMI connector might need a little push.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Boom, thank you!

4 hours ago, MissP22 said:

The last ship we were on was the Regal & had a TV that could easily be swung out at the bottom. (most are very difficult) It was easy to plug in the HDMI cable & them leave it in place for our whole cruise. 

When were the last time you were on Regal?  Already has the new TV? Thank you.

1 hour ago, chubbypiggy said:

When were the last time you were on Regal?  Already has the new TV? Thank you.

Feb 2020 T

They've had the new TV's (wall mounted) probably since the ship was put into service I believe. 

My boyfriend and I just got off of the Majestic on Saturday, January 22, 2022. He is a big TV person and was determined to get his laptop to connect. He found a video on YouTube that showed exactly how to make it work. He said to do the search below. We were able to watch a couple of our shows.  

Search YouTube for “princess cruises - connect your own HDMI device to the stateroom tv” by Hayley and Andy

To be honest we really enjoyed the old Love Boat episodes. 
Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 2

Now I will say that 90% of the time I wouldn't even care, but my next cruise is a long one and this is probably something I'd want to do.  And there are times where my wife and I will "escape" to our cabin to just chill. 

I know on other cruises I've been on (not Princess) that you didn't have the ability to switch the TV to a video option, or at least the remote didn't allow you to.   I'm mainly asking before I invest in a USB to HDMI charge adapter.  And if I cannot do it, it's not the end of the world, I'm just hoping I can.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 2:55 AM, SinbadThePorter said:

I know this post is a few weeks old but in case you this, we are on Enchanted now. We successfully hooked up Roku and able to get HDMI port. As you mentioned the trick is setting up wireless to Medallion. I have the four device package. Is appears to connect then immediately disconnects. Any tips on getting the Roku on medaliion.net? 

• 11 months later...

Would anyone recently familiar with TVs on the Island Princess  be able to comment on how accessible the HDMI ports are?  And what kind of TVs are installed, the new Medallion Class TVs mounted on the wall, or the older TVs that are perched up, on an angle, above the mini-fridge cabinet?  

On 2/9/2022 at 4:52 AM, Familycruzer11 said:

I know this post is a few weeks old but in case you this, we are on Enchanted now. We successfully hooked up Roku and able to get HDMI port. As you mentioned the trick is setting up wireless to Medallion. I have the four device package. Is appears to connect then immediately disconnects. Any tips on getting the Roku on medaliion.net? 

We’re you able to put in your credentials for the sign in?

10 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

We’re you able to put in your credentials for the sign in?

we seemed to sign in, but then it disconnected- we never got it to work unfortunately.  We are sailing again in April, we may try again, we have a four device wifi package again.  This time we will be on the Crown, may be better or worse, not sure..

Edited by Familycruzer11

41 minutes ago, Familycruzer11 said:

we seemed to sign in, but then it disconnected- we never got it to work unfortunately.  We are sailing again in April, we may try again, we have a four device wifi package again.  This time we will be on the Crown, may be better or worse, not sure..

In January I was able to change the HDMI input, but I could not get my Fire Stick to bring up a keyboard so I could put in my credentials.  I was so busy, it was no big deal, but I could not get it to work.  The video showing how to change the input, does not show putting in the credentials.  I wonder if Princess made a change to their system to block streaming to the TV.

778AE202-1324-4B6E-AEBF-9885B18E8314.jpeg

Edited by jagoffee

2 hours ago, jagoffee said:

In January I was able to change the HDMI input, but I could not get my Fire Stick to bring up a keyboard so I could put in my credentials.  I was so busy, it was no big deal, but I could not get it to work.  The video showing how to change the input, does not show putting in the credentials.  I wonder if Princess made a change to their system to block streaming to the TV.

778AE202-1324-4B6E-AEBF-9885B18E8314.jpeg

I wondered the same thing since, even if we did get in, it didn't last.  At this point, we just bring the iPad and stream from there.

• Thanks 1