LIVE Suite Review 1/30-2/6: A (Solo) Woman on the Edge

GenerationX

Living vicariously through your delightful and entertaining posts. 

Used Binax proctored tests for the last cruise, and will again for our first trip on the Edge in late Feb. We're Martini Bar fans.  Would you please let us know which bar onboard seems to be the most lively or actively entertaining?  Enjoy, and thank you!

Hello from the Retreat Lounge!  While I’m sipping my first Bourbon and Peaches of the cruise (if you’re in suite class and enjoy a bourbon cocktail with a hint of sweet, i highly recommend BTW, it’s my favorite Retreat cocktail) and patting myself on the back for just how good my life is, let me share some quick first impressions of the Edge.

Suite Embarkation was absurdly fast.  As in from the time I stepped out of my Uber to when I stepped on the ship: literally less than 10 minutes.  The 3 car deep line to drive through the security check point to get into Port Everglades took longer.  I didn’t even have time to grab a croissant in the Retreat boarding lounge before my check in was done and I was invited to board (first world problems).

Being the hyper planner I am, I spent the better part of the last few weeks stalking down every photo and video of the Edge and the sky suites that I could find. So I was pretty familiar with her look, but when you see it all in person for the first time….you guys, I’ve spent the past half hour walking around and going “Holy Ship”.  Design tastes are kind of like food, highly subjective.  For me, the Edge is freaking stunning. I feel like I’m on a floating Four Seasons.

I don’t know if the sky suites are actually any larger than the ones on S or M class, but the colors chosen and layout really made me feel like the space is bigger, more open and more airy.  I’m glad that weird rocking chair I saw in some picks isn’t a thing anymore.  I’ll do a full stateroom review post later I promise.

In my rush to get out of STL before the 8-10 inches of snow expected this week (add to list of things that are not my problem).  I forgot to find time for a pedicure.  I just had a chat with the spa rep in the Retreat Lounge and booked myself one for tomorrow.  She offered a better discount if I booked it for today but with the cooler temps it’s still closed toe shoe weather today. Plus I swear a pedicure lasts longer if you let it finish drying in direct Caribbean sun.

I’m going to finish my cocktail then check in at my muster station and head to lunch in Luminae.  After that, hopefully my bags will be delivered and I can pop a bottle of bubbly while I unpack.

Happy Sunday Funday from the GORGEOUS Celebrity Edge!

9D1CA239-EAB9-4C64-99D1-DB565276BF36.thumb.jpeg.e07e786a06c3435e0dc7b9bab88b7102.jpeg

C248C677-8ECC-4145-8E92-E6BD9CB2D7C5.thumb.jpeg.9ef830a9388188f57e7d3ba8c2e34d47.jpeg

FC50D256-3AC0-43EB-9F36-A800FAAEB37A.thumb.jpeg.ee80b00b25b88b6ee383e79cb35ce3df.jpeg

D8D52613-62BF-464E-9AD6-D71C5B5387A6.thumb.jpeg.1cb89c823e3d2c8d4901d8f957f5c41a.jpeg

5E86DE28-440E-4499-8EE1-08A661969DA2.thumb.jpeg.e19731a9c1cfa4dc9a99a36278e8f04e.jpeg

A1CE6AC0-98E6-40EF-BEF6-E83E40B4AB72.thumb.jpeg.bac2d7f6bb6318b574b13b0392887205.jpeg

F07289B2-E65F-43A1-9DB2-7E0CEF3CDACC.thumb.jpeg.860300bccef46861e610e390bbc36de7.jpeg

• Like 13

Quick passenger count update:  The current rumor onboard is that our sailing was expected to have about 870 guests, but that almost 200 (!!!!) of those may not actually sail due to positive pre-cruise Covid test results and flight cancellations on the east coast.

I’ll see if I can get an opportunity to confirm that info with someone in charge/in the know and will report back.  Given how late hitting those factors are it may be a day or 2 before anyone can give an accurate guest count.

Stay warm and safe out there East Coast followers!

Edited by GenerationX
  • Like 5

Love your writing style! We were scheduled to be boarding Equinox at this moment, so reading your posts is filling a void! AND, as a bonus (for me)... it's only 357 days until we take your spot on Edge! 🙂  Thank you for your posts!

Edited by RealBatman
spelling
  • Like 2

Enjoying reading your posts.  Been on the Edge last October , and have taken the same  suite cabin  for my cruise in 2 weeks. that I used last year. (10140)  Happy to tag along.  and FYI, you can ask your Resort Host to get you a lounge chair  to enjoy the balcony this week.  I lived in that chair whenever I was in the cabin, with a drink in hand. Also took a wireless  mini speaker to listen to music while on the balcony.  So. relaxing. 

Edited by Missymo
  • Like 1

So funny story:  As I was finishing the first course of my lunch in Luminae (full report to come), my sommelier Alister came over with a list of the additional charge wine events offered on our sailing to ask if I was interested in signing up for any (if you know me you already know the answer to that question was “yassss”).

I had a moment of joy when I saw the Veuve Clicquot wine dinner on the list (which I thoroughly enjoyed on Sunmit in November, check out my live review of that one for details) offered.  Then poor Alister said “All are available except the champagne dinner. That’s sold out.”

I’m not sure if it was the bourbon & peaches + Pinot noir on a stomach empty of all but a beet salad, but in the moment of hearing that, I completely forgot myself.

I believe my words were something along the lines of “WHAT? NOOOO!!! How?  We’ve only been on the ship an HOUR! And it’s less than HALF FULL! How can it be SOLD OUT ALREADY??? I’ve been looking forward to doing that again since I sailed on Summit last fall!!! [talking through knot of dismay in my throat] Ok, well,  then could you sign me up just for the premium wine tasting, please?”

To be clear, my tone wasn’t aggressive, rude or accusing…but keeping it real, it was probably a little excessively shocked and heartbroken. I felt like I was back in college and being dumped by the center on the Northwestern basketball team all over again.

It didn’t help that I was also trying to make sure I could be heard through a mask in a loud dining room.  (I was definitely heard. People at nearby, yet social distanced, tables were staring.)

As the involuntary tears started welling up in my eyes (seriously, like I said, the whole scene was embarrassingly extra), Alister asked me to give him just a moment and popped in the back.  He came back and asked if I could confirm that I’m solo and would just need one reservation. I assured him that was the case and he promised he will do everything he can to get me into the dinner!

Alister just went on my extra tip envelope list for end of cruise and I plan to be generous. 

DISCLAIMER: This post is made for amusement purposes only and is not intended to encourage or endorse having any kind of meltdown to try and get your way on ANYTHING on a Celebrity ship.  Like I said, had I not been reacting in the moment with my champagne loving heart instead of my (result of a far better upbringing) head, I would not have made any fuss at all. I’m sure my grandmother, rest her soul, who paid for my charm school classes is turning in her grave.  Don’t be that guy.  Don’t be me when I’m being told I’ll be deprived of 5 courses of Veuve Cicquot and food pairings.  The crew is going through enough these days. They don’t deserve to be weighed down dealing with our bougie tragedies.  That is all.

Now it’s back to my after lunch 20 year tawny port.

9AA1F331-9C7E-46D8-BCF0-514A463E7892.thumb.jpeg.e09f51435d11d2333e7d77671a457665.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Haha 9

Was the Lobster Roll on the menu for lunch on Embarkation day? It’s not listed as in the Ap for my sailing but was on the menu when I sailed in July..however my sister in law recently sailed and said that the Ap was not accurate before sailing..just curious??

On 1/25/2022 at 7:25 PM, GenerationX said:

On Sunday I received Celebrity’s now standard “Prepare to Sail Health Protocols” email for our cruise.  As many are already aware, one thing that was different in this email from the ones for my other post-shutdown cruises is this added notice regarding indoor masking requirements.

I can certainly understand why this requirement would be a cruising deterrent for some. For me personally though it’s not a big deal for a few reasons:

First, I’ve honestly gotten so used to wearing masks everywhere outside my house in normal life, it actually took me a couple of days on my previous cruises to get used to not having to have a mask on.  Don’t get me wrong, it was a fabulous break from my day to day reality, but I often felt a slight twinge when I’d walk out of my cabin like I was leaving the room in my underwear.

Second,  I don’t really spend a ton of time indoors on a winter cruise. I can stay inside in February at home for free. I cruise to spend some time in the fresh sea air, humidity, sun and warmth!

Third, as evidenced by the size difference between my Day 1-4 cruise wardrobe and my Day 5+ cruise wardrobe,  it is a pretty rare occurrence for me to be indoors on a Celebrity ship and not actively eating or drinking something.

Seriously though on the wardrobe, that’s one of my biggest cruise packing tips: For my fellow lady cruisers who share my enthusiasm for throwing carb and calorie counting into the wind at sail away, trust me, A-lines are a girl’s best friend!  Anyway, I digress.  

Finally, the long depressing months of the global cruising suspension are still quite fresh in my memory.  Twas not so long ago when my heart so longed be on a ship again that if Celebrity had required me to wear clown shoes and an ice dancing costume to sail, I would’ve been cheerfully squeaking down the pier with my bags while shedding sequins and faux feathers all over Port Everglades.  Put a little something over my mouth while I’m dancing and singing badly to ABBA to try and keep the CDC at bay? You got it, Celebrity. In fact, the pleasure is mine. Now, may I trouble you for some more Chandon and smoked salmon canapés, please?

All this is reminding me, I should probably go check Amazon and make sure that my Prime order of extra masks and sunglasses (I always buy a cute under $10 pair to wear while in port and leave the designer ones in my safe) is still on track to arrive tomorrow.

More to come!

CF9D7EE9-6A03-4EDF-93D3-E54B38754AC5.thumb.jpeg.5e71d75924359582a6c0a7475ab8f712.jpeg

That’s exactly how I predict the new norm future: masks are permanently required, underwire is likewise forbidden…

The Retreat is great! The Thermal Suites are even better!

Edited by kirtihk

37 minutes ago, Susanb10567 said:

Was the Lobster Roll on the menu for lunch on Embarkation day? It’s not listed as in the Ap for my sailing but was on the menu when I sailed in July..however my sister in law recently sailed and said that the Ap was not accurate before sailing..just curious??

It was not. Was a little sad but burger made up for it. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RealBatman said:

Love your writing style! We were scheduled to be boarding Equinox at this moment, so reading your posts is filling a void! AND, as a bonus (for me)... it's only 357 days until we take your spot on Edge! 🙂  Thank you for your posts!

I’m so sorry! I saw Equinox on my drive to the pier. I hope the time flies by for you till your time to sail!

• Thanks 1

Watching your sail-away with great envy. Have a wonderful cruise!!

Hope you are able to join the Veuve Clicquot wine dinner again. Your reaction sounded perfectly  normal - upset, after all, is tied to unmet expectations.

Edited by MarKay525
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, twangster said:

Onboard with you!   

11am check in.  First time on Edge class, first time using Terminal 25.  

93F8B612-F62F-4BB8-BE39-B25F3532D4CB.thumb.jpeg.1f9f7ef3fc624e14be80bd1250590d0c.jpeg

Twangster, Good to see you on these forums. You will really enjoy this ship. We sailed on her in Mid December 2021. The main difference from sailing RC is the lack of children! Have a great trip!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GenerationX said:

So funny story:  As I was finishing the first course of my lunch in Luminae (full report to come), my sommelier Alister came over with a list of the additional charge wine events offered on our sailing to ask if I was interested in signing up for any (if you know me you already know the answer to that question was “yassss”).

I had a moment of joy when I saw the Veuve Clicquot wine dinner on the list (which I thoroughly enjoyed on Sunmit in November, check out my live review of that one for details) offered.  Then poor Alister said “All are available except the champagne dinner. That’s sold out.”

I’m not sure if it was the bourbon & peaches + Pinot noir on a stomach empty of all but a beet salad, but in the moment of hearing that, I completely forgot myself.

I believe my words were something along the lines of “WHAT? NOOOO!!! How?  We’ve only been on the ship an HOUR! And it’s less than HALF FULL! How can it be SOLD OUT ALREADY??? I’ve been looking forward to doing that again since I sailed on Summit last fall!!! [talking through knot of dismay in my throat] Ok, well,  then could you sign me up just for the premium wine tasting, please?”

To be clear, my tone wasn’t aggressive, rude or accusing…but keeping it real, it was probably a little excessively shocked and heartbroken. I felt like I was back in college and being dumped by the center on the Northwestern basketball team all over again.

It didn’t help that I was also trying to make sure I could be heard through a mask in a loud dining room.  (I was definitely heard. People at nearby, yet social distanced, tables were staring.)

As the involuntary tears started welling up in my eyes (seriously, like I said, the whole scene was embarrassingly extra), Alister asked me to give him just a moment and popped in the back.  He came back and asked if I could confirm that I’m solo and would just need one reservation. I assured him that was the case and he promised he will do everything he can to get me into the dinner!

Alister just went on my extra tip envelope list for end of cruise and I plan to be generous. 

DISCLAIMER: This post is made for amusement purposes only and is not intended to encourage or endorse having any kind of meltdown to try and get your way on ANYTHING on a Celebrity ship.  Like I said, had I not been reacting in the moment with my champagne loving heart instead of my (result of a far better upbringing) head, I would not have made any fuss at all. I’m sure my grandmother, rest her soul, who paid for my charm school classes is turning in her grave.  Don’t be that guy.  Don’t be me when I’m being told I’ll be deprived of 5 courses of Veuve Cicquot and food pairings.  The crew is going through enough these days. They don’t deserve to be weighed down dealing with our bougie tragedies.  That is all.

9AA1F331-9C7E-46D8-BCF0-514A463E7892.thumb.jpeg.e09f51435d11d2333e7d77671a457665.jpeg

If you’re looking forward to something so much, you can react in unusual ways when you can’t get it…no worries.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Quick passenger count update:  The current rumor onboard is that our sailing was expected to have about 870 guests, but that almost 200 (!!!!) of those may not actually sail due to positive pre-cruise Covid test results and flight cancellations on the east coast.

Wow!  That is crazy. But I’m not surprised with all of the cancelled flights due to the snow.  Also not surprised regarding the positive COVID tests; I know more than a handful of people personally that tested positive pre-cruise (mostly asymptomatic!) in the last 2 weeks and couldn’t take their trips. I am literally going to be on pins and needles till I take my test for my February cruise!

Glad you are aboard; if you really only have around 700 people for your trip, that will be incredibly empty! Good and bad to that.

Oh, and I LOVE love your map embarkation dress. So darn cute!

3 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I’m loving following this! Thank you for sharing and enjoy every moment!!