LIVE Suite Review 1/30-2/6: A (Solo) Woman on the Edge

GenerationX

3 hours ago, go.without.you said:

.... Edge Luminae doesn't allow you to order from the MDR menu so I'm going to miss that (escargot....don't judge me)...

In November 2021... Luminae on Edge DID have escargot on the always available verbal menu every day.  Additionally, I remember creme brulee, caesar salad, shrimp cocktail, & french onion soup.  Oh...and the steak of the day with baked potato.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, peanut head said:

Hey GenerationX, do you book on your own or go through a TA?

Hello! Pre-Covid I did use a TA but unfortunately the agent I liked working with didn’t return to the agency after the COVID shut downs and layoffs. So my post-shutdown cruises I’ve booked myself.

Finding a good new TA is on my list of things to do. Especially since my husband and I plan to do a Galapagos cruise in 2023.  I want to find an agent that really has experience with that itinerary.  Something I’ll focus on during my “cruising break” between my March sailing on Millennium and my Alaska cruise in July. 😁

• Like 2

6 hours ago, go.without.you said:

HI! We met briefly on Equinox in November. I am booked on the Edge (1st time) for March, also in a Sky Suite, so I'm curious to see your review. Edge Luminae doesn't allow you to order from the MDR menu so I'm going to miss that (escargot....don't judge me).

I've been debating about trying one of the other restaurants but I don't want to give up the service you get in Luminae. Have a great time and pack that globe dress!

Yes I remember you!  I’m with you on the escargot. I’m planning to do a lunch or 2 at the French bistro specialty restaurant and get my escargot fix there.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise in March!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GenerationX said:

Yes I remember you!  I’m with you on the escargot. I’m planning to do a lunch or 2 at the French bistro specialty restaurant and get my escargot fix there.

Good news!!!!  You will be able to get escargot in Luminae on Edge.  While the “full” MDR menu is not available every night they do offer quite a few “standard menu items”.  Plus they are very good about getting you pretty much anything you ask for if you give them 24 hour notice!

• Like 1

Hello.  I'm following this - thanks.  We're in a sky suite on the Edge for 22 days in 2024.  (Husband:  Let's do an around the world cruise.  Me:  Let's see you do with 3 weeks first).  I've been in Sky suites on the S and M classes, but this will be my first on an E class.  

Looking forward to following your adventures.

And btw, I posted a very similar picture of the two different Abbott tests on other threads when people got confused.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Hello.  I'm following this - thanks.  We're in a sky suite on the Edge for 22 days in 2024.  (Husband:  Let's do an around the world cruise.  Me:  Let's see you do with 3 weeks first).  I've been in Sky suites on the S and M classes, but this will be my first on an E class.  

Looking forward to following your adventures.

And btw, I posted a very similar picture of the two different Abbott tests on other threads when people got confused.

Quick question - I always swore we'd never sail on Edge class because of the large window Celebrity is calling a balcony but I've heard that there are actually some REAL balconies on the ship. Do the Sky Suites all have real balconies?

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, chamima said:

Quick question - I always swore we'd never sail on Edge class because of the large window Celebrity is calling a balcony but I've heard that there are actually some REAL balconies on the ship. Do the Sky Suites all have real balconies?

Thanks!

Yes.  Suites have traditional balconies.  And some aft cabins called Sunset Verandas do too.

• Thanks 1

Enjoying so far--wish I could have taken DH's place! (I, too, would have no problem sailing alone)

You will LOVE the Edge--I fell head over heels in love with E class last summer.

BTW--check out Jaime's at the Blue Reef in Costa Maya. It is a short cab ride from the port.

https://jaimesatthebluereef.wordpress.com/

Jaime is a GEM. He owned restaurants in the states before returning home to open this.

He has a small section of beach. $52 will get your chair & all you can eat & drink. 
I got there early & sat with my chair RIGHT at the edge of the water for the day!

And Jaime visits for 15 or so minutes with each & every guest!

The water there is AMAZING--shin deep for a LONG LONG way. 

HIGHLY recommend. 

(Our friends did Maya Chan just a bit more down the beach for about the same price--a very nice place, but not the lovely personalized day we had)

Edited by KKB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Love your writing style. Will follow this thread closely 🙂 We ( Wife, Daughter and myself ) will be on the March 13 the cruise ( COVID willing ). That will be our first cruise with Celebrity and Edge. Have done several previous cruises with HAL, Princess, CCL and RCCL. Thank you for taking the time to write this awesome review. Love it!

• Thanks 1

Who’s got a negative COVID test and just checked in for her flight to Miami tomorrow morning? This lady!!!!

I haven’t been so happy to see one line on a test strip since 3 weeks after Jeremy and I’s Alaska honeymoon cruise.  

The home test process was relatively painless (relatively being the operative word).  If you’re planning to do it, I do recommend watching a few YouTube videos of the process first.  

If you’ve given yourself the regular non-monitored Binax Covid tests before, you’ll have a pretty easy time because the testing steps are identical.

There were a couple of brief moments of confusion in my process.  When I logged on and connected with an agent to test the first time, when the agent checked my ID, she said I’d have to log off and update my test account because my passport has my middle name but my account didn’t. So I’d need to add my middle name on my account so it would show on the test results.  The catch:  when I went back to my test account profile, there’s not even an option to include your middle name.  It only has fields for first and last name.

A quick chat with customer service (fortunately without a long wait for a representative) confirmed my middle name wasn’t needed.

When I logged back in to test again, sure enough, when the second agent checked my ID, she didn’t say anything about the middle name issue, just on to the test. This time though, unlike the videos I watched online where the agent talked you through the steps of the test, this agent just said “read and follow the instructions I’m going to put on screen” then muted herself while graphics and written instructions (in tiny print) on how to do the tests popped up on my screen.  No audio.  Since I was pretty familiar with how to do the test, it wasn’t an issue for me. But I could see this being frustrating for someone who’d never tested themselves before and/or who has trouble reading small words on a computer screen.

She also didn’t tell me that I was free to get up and move around during the 15 minutes the test is processing (as long as your test card stays on camera at all times and you don’t touch or move it during that time).   I knew this was ok from watching the YouTube videos but didn’t want to risk it so I stayed out the whole 15 minutes.

I got my results via email and in the NAVICA app on my phone within 5 minutes of the proctor confirming my negative results.

Agenda for the rest of the day: Tie up loose ends at the office, stop by the butcher for some nice steaks for dinner tonight (I have to kiss up to my 3am ride to the airport after all) then finally…followers of my previous reviews, you know what’s coming…drink champagne while packing and watching Gentlemen Prefer Blondes!

28B39B5B-3614-42AE-A5A0-C54976CCF6AB.thumb.jpeg.896392c69ee52a61af47455182e08e35.jpeg

• Like 18

1 hour ago, KKB said:

Enjoying so far--wish I could have taken DH's place! (I, too, would have no problem sailing alone)

You will LOVE the Edge--I fell head over heels in love with E class last summer.

BTW--check out Jaime's at the Blue Reef in Costa Maya. It is a short cab ride from the port.

https://jaimesatthebluereef.wordpress.com/

Jaime is a GEM. He owned restaurants in the states before returning home to open this.

He has a small section of beach. $52 will get your chair & all you can eat & drink. 
I got there early & sat with my chair RIGHT at the edge of the water for the day!

And Jaime visits for 15 or so minutes with each & every guest!

The water there is AMAZING--shin deep for a LONG LONG way. 

HIGHLY recommend. 

(Our friends did Maya Chan just a bit more down the beach for about the same price--a very nice place, but not the lovely personalized day we had)

Thank you for this recommendation! The food looks really good!  Do I need to make a reservation in advance or can I just show up?  Also, is it pretty easy to get a taxi back to port from there at the end of the day?

3 hours ago, chamima said:

Thanks!

Yes, the Sky Suites have actual doors onto a balcony, not the sliders that the Infinite Verandas have.

2 hours ago, GenerationX said:

There were a couple of brief moments of confusion in my process.  When I logged on and connected with an agent to test the first time, when the agent checked my ID, she said I’d have to log off and update my test account because my passport has my middle name but my account didn’t. So I’d need to add my middle name on my account so it would show on the test results.  The catch:  when I went back to my test account profile, there’s not even an option to include your middle name.  It only has fields for first and last name.

A quick chat with customer service (fortunately without a long wait for a representative) confirmed my middle name wasn’t needed.

It seems to vary by agent.  When I did mine, my middle name wasn't on the account.  My agent told me to add it during the 15 minute timer.  I put it on the same line as my first name. 

And congrats!

Unfortunately, instead of meeting you on the Edge as planned, I will have to  settle for living the cruise vicariously though your great posts.  I tested positive for COVID this am.  I am fortunate with only mild symptoms, congestion, a bit achy, that’s it.  I guess it was not meant for me to cruise on Sunday.  I hope you have a BLAST and I will definitely be along for the ride.😃

really looking forward to your review, and had to go back and am currently reading your previous reviews, thank you they are terrific.  We were on the Anthem of the sea and Edge was parked next to us in St Martin a couple of weeks ago, I met some people from the Edge who just raved about it, so that might be our next cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ILgirl said:

Unfortunately, instead of meeting you on the Edge as planned, I will have to  settle for living the cruise vicariously though your great posts.  I tested positive for COVID this am.  I am fortunate with only mild symptoms, congestion, a bit achy, that’s it.  I guess it was not meant for me to cruise on Sunday.  I hope you have a BLAST and I will definitely be along for the ride.😃

So sorry.. hope you feel better soon.  You will at least have this live review to help pass the time! Did X handle the cancellation/ change with ease?

On 1/26/2022 at 10:41 AM, quicklabs said:

Hi Neighbor!

We're in Beavercreek.  I enjoy biking from the Beavercreek Station to the Yellow Springs station, but NOT in late January.  I understand completely about being unable to travel due to concern about leaving an aging dog behind.   Enjoy your cruise!

Small world it is! I am from Beavercreek in Tara Falls development off Shakertown😀

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Finding a good new TA is on my list of things to do. Especially since my husband and I plan to do a Galapagos cruise in 2023.  I want to find an agent that really has experience with that itinerary.  

You'll find a wealth of information here [IMHO, much better than any agent...] --

Thank you for taking us along, I'm riveted 🌺

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GenerationX said:

She also didn’t tell me that I was free to get up and move around during the 15 minutes the test is processing (as long as your test card stays on camera at all times and you don’t touch or move it during that time).   I knew this was ok from watching the YouTube videos but didn’t want to risk it so I stayed out the whole 15 minutes.

It is funny how inconsistent the observers are.   My proctor told me I could get up and don't worry about the test as no one is watching after she went away.   She said when ready after the timed 15 minutes just push the button to continue -  she also said it didn't have to be immediate after the 15 minutes but  soon after the 15 minutes if I were tied up doing something else.

Even though I had watched the YouTubes and did a pre-test I went brain dead and was having a hard time finding where I stick the QTip.   She politely guided me and made me feel better saying many people have that same problem. 

Just because I’m sailing solo doesn’t mean I can’t have a girls’ packing party. In attendance are myself, Jane, Marilyn, Madame Clicquot and Bailey the dog. and we’re all having quite a good time, thank you ever so!

C2637AE9-CE29-4964-BEF7-AA1E95406510.thumb.jpeg.403a5d73e9ffa2808161d31a2753c7b2.jpeg

877D7CB4-FD1B-4D99-96CF-1D4791644949.thumb.jpeg.f73777d06c14876d37318222ea32d225.jpeg

9143B092-A82A-480B-964F-3732D9733010.thumb.jpeg.d90957659d0946aabd8bd0930329389b.jpeg

• Like 15