Open bridge

On a long ago cruise on the dear & departed Diamond, back when Regent was Radisson, the policy was an open bridge. Basically the doors to the bridge were open and passengers were free to wander in whenever the fancy struck them.  A number of folks took advantage, largely but not exclusively men.  I was a "frequent flyer" and loved it.  I've never experienced that on any other cruise, although one and only one cruise on the Paul Gauguin had a liberal policy of signing up for tours of the bridge.
I hadn't thought about the open bridge policy in a while, but just got a brochure from Seabourn advertising the inaugural cruises of their new expedition ships.  They will have an open bridge policy.
Now I'm wondering why that policy is so rare.
Convenience for the crew? 
Security?
Inertia?

Edited by DavidTheWonderer

I remember in years long past when, if it was a special occasion, you could ask to visit the cockpit of an airplane.  I assume that those days of presumed trust and security are gone forever.  Though we didn't realize it at the time those of us that remember those times.... were lucky to have lived in an age of innocence.  It makes me very nostalgic indeed.

• Like 2

All of the Windstar ships have open bridges, except when the ship is entering/exiting port. It is a very pleasant experience, especially at night. I haven’t sailed since Covid so that may have changed. 

After 911, passengers could no longer visit the cockpit in flight. It is allowed on the ground, at least on SWA. My husband retired during Covid, so again I don’t know if those restrictions have changed again.

Edited by Pudgesmom
  • Like 1

On Celebrity ships you can ask for a bridge tour but it is entirely at the Captain's discretion. Sometimes they do them; sometimes they don't. When available, it's quite nice. The Captain gives a short briefing followed by Q&A. Then an officer walks the group (usually 12-15ppl) though the mechanics of the ship. I've never seen this offered on Regent, but we've never asked, either. 

Availability of Bridge tour often depends on itinerary.  Most-likely, obviously, when in the open seas on a sea day.  Done these in pre-COVID times on Mariner and Explorer.  In one instance, struck up a "side bar" (not really next to a real Bar) with the Captain.  He invited us to join a group of about 10 others for the next day.  That tour took about 35 minutes.  The Captain made a few introductory comments; then turned it over to another senior Officer.

Just a little "joy stick" controls a really-big vessel.  The array of navigational aids and computerized charts marking our tick-by-tick progress was reassuring. 

If you have the opportunity--do it.  You may have to ask, as noted above. 

GOARMY!

You can sign up for bridge tours at Destination Services and, if there is one, they will contact you about the time and place to meet..  My wife and I did a tour on Explorer and it was conducted while we were in port.  I think I remember the person directing the tour saying that due to newer maritime regulations the bridge was not open when the ship was underway.

On Voyager in 2013, we were invited to tour the Bridge. I loved that the Captain (who's name escapes me but who retired as Fleet Commodore shortly thereafter) had a Porsche decal affixed to the wheel!

Always worth asking at Reception whether any ship tours (bridge, galley, theatre, star gazing etc) are being offered during the cruise; they are not always advertised.

We have experienced some interesting tours in the past but security issues then covid have curtailed the opportunities.

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

Always worth asking at Reception whether any ship tours (bridge, galley, theatre, star gazing etc) are being offered during the cruise; they are not always advertised.

We have experienced some interesting tours in the past but security issues then covid have curtailed the opportunities.

Agree.  We have done the Galley tour twice.  I  think it was connected to AMEX  It was really interesting!!!

I think 9/11 put paid to bridge tours in general.  Prior to that we did have a couple of nice tours of the Voyager bridge, and you didn't have to sign up as I remember, just show up during the designated times.  On the Diamond, the bridge was on the same level as the pool deck, and you could just walk in any time.

My husband spent many hours hanging around with Captain Dag in the bridge of the Diamond.  Those days are obviously long gone what with 9/11 and now covid.  

We were able to do a bridge tour on Silversea Explorer and Silversea Cloud in recent years (since 9/11).  You had to sign up ahead, but it was very interesting and the ships were NOT in port. 

19 hours ago, FengShui@Sea said:

I remember in years long past when, if it was a special occasion, you could ask to visit the cockpit of an airplane.  I

I had the great joy of being invited into the cockpit by the captain on a flight from Toronto to Calgary and sitting in the jumpseat for the rest of the flight including the landing. It was fascinating and enjoyed every moment of talking to the pilot and co-pilot.  That was a long time ago and it is sad that people can no longer enjoy these kinds of experiences. 

Have done a couple of bridge tours and culinary tours and have thoroughly enjoyed all of them. Wonderful experiences when sailing on a ship to see some of the working parts of it. On one of our cruises with a different cruise line, we did a special Chef's dinner that began with appetizers in the kitchen. It was a fantastic evening. 

20 hours ago, RachelG said:

My husband spent many hours hanging around with Captain Dag in the bridge of the Diamond.  ...

Once in the middle of the Black Sea with no other ships visible on the radar, Captain Dag let me give the whistle on the Diamond a brief toot. A great pleasure for a small mind.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DavidTheWonderer said:

Once in the middle of the Black Sea with no other ships visible on the radar, Captain Dag let me give the whistle on the Diamond a brief toot. A great pleasure for a small mind.

He let George drive the ship for a little bit once when we were out in the middle of the sea.

• Like 1