Cruising the biggest storm

Just now, MMDown Under said:

Is TV app the only way you can watch TV on your laptop?  I think I signed in to watch Australian Open on 9.

I don't need to sign on to 7 to see the biggest storm.  I've been on a few with memories I'll never forget - piano and furniture sliding from one side of the ship to another, crossing lift wells by holding on to a rope, being at the bottom of huge waves breaking over the ship, meeting of two currents sideways and up and down when everyone got sick, including me!  It is a wonder I ever cruised again!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Is TV app the only way you can watch TV on your laptop?  I think I signed in to watch Australian Open on 9.

Yes Marion. But you also use the apps to stream on your smart tv.

Edited by possum52

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes Marion. But you also use the apps to stream on your smart tv.

I'm sitting here with one channel only (ABC) having misplaced my remote control.  Fortunately I was able to watch all tennis on my laptop.  We seem to have lost our streaming on TV so my daughter has bought a new smart TV, yet to be installed.  I miss Iview and SBS streaming.  

2 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I'm sitting here with one channel only (ABC) having misplaced my remote control.  Fortunately I was able to watch all tennis on my laptop.  We seem to have lost our streaming on TV so my daughter has bought a new smart TV, yet to be installed.  I miss Iview and SBS streaming.  

We have used all the free to air channels streaming apps at various times on our smart tv. We used 9Now during the AO to watch the matches on the courts where our GS was a ballkid and watched a program on the 10 streaming app yesterday - we had to sign in. I have a few programs marked to watch on Iview and SBS as well.

We did our second cruise in 2010 on the Pac Sun if I had seen the following video of the Pac Sun in a storm on the 30th July 2008 before we sailed  I wonder if we set foot on board the ship. Interestingly if you do a Google search you can find the full report of the incident from Marine Accident Investigation Branch UK which makes sobering reading as P&O came close to losing the ship.

The trip we did on the Sun was a fourteen night one to Fiji and was the one that got us hooked on cruising.

Edited by ozziepost
Additional comment
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, ozziepost said:

Re my earlier post about the Pacific Sun for those who like some heavy reading the link below contains the full report about the incident the Pacific Sun was involved in 30 July 2008. I found the report  quite interesting.

Pacific Sun Report No 14/2009 (publishing.service.gov.uk)

Didn't realise it was a cruise out of Auckland. I've always thought you'd be nuts to cruise out of Auckland anyways - particularly in the middle of winter! 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2022 at 8:56 AM, Porky55 said:

Someone at CH7 has a set against the cruise industry - this wasn’t their first swipe - Ruby Doco for example 🤔

But I’m fine with this story - less passengers on a ship seems like a bonus!!

Totally agree. Everything shown was over 18 months to two years ago. Cruising is back, believe me.

starting watching it..... man with model ships ???   

nothing against model ships but it is not cruising...

then Yobs on a cruise ship.....  then to many ads....  gave up...  time for a G&T

Speaking of that... having a rather nice one from the Apollo Bay Distillery at the moment

called Ocean Gin...   now looking at some photos on the wall taken on past cruises.....

Now wondering it the good old days of a few years ago.... will return....

On that note   .... thinking on a second G&T     like at pre dinner drink at skywalkers   with some rather nice nibbles and watching the wake 

Cheers Don

Probably the roughest trip we had was on the old Pac Pearl (then Columbus and now Gillette razor blades) on a 12 nighter pacific cruise. Soon after leaving Wala we ran into a force nine gale we had a window cabin on deck 9 and had water coming past our window. It was that rough the guys flogging the art auctions gave up and we didn't see them again. We couldn't get into Vila because it was to risky to take the ship into the port so they bummed around outside (a few of the passengers were really dark on this because that's where the cheap grog is) while they worked out what to do. Mystery island was taken off the itinerary due to the bad weather and took us down to the Isle de Pins which was a bonus.

To cap the trip off the thing broke down outside Sydney Harbor and had to be towed into port with the result we didn't come alongside at Barangaroo until about 10.30 am and then as we were coming alongside one of the mooring lines dislodged a plank off the wharf and they had to push the stern out while they recovered the plank. A lot of passengers who had booked early flights missed them. The master on that trip was a blonde female now I've got nothing against blondes but I can tell you by the time we reached Sydney her hair had turned grey. It was an eventful trip and one I still have a chuckle when I think about it.

• Thanks 1

Interesting read the Pacific Sun report.   Says me, having survived Force 11 gales and 10 metre seas off bottom of  NZ on ye olde Regal Princess September 2007.

Edited by NSWP