Why are the prices so low?

icedearth15324

I've only ever sailed on Norwegian, but my wife and I were looking at some other cruise lines. 

For being a company that advertises themselves as being a luxury cruise line, why are the prices for Holland so low? 

The same Alaskan trip I did in September is close to half the cost with Holland than it was for NCL. And I just want to find out what the primary differences are.

6 minutes ago, icedearth15324 said:

For being a company that advertises themselves as being a luxury cruise line, why are the prices for Holland so low? 

Holland-America is far from a "luxury" cruise line. Along with Celebrity and Princess, it is just above the mainstream cruise line level of Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, MSC, etc. With the premium lines you generally get somewhat better food and service and fewer kids. Oceania and Viking occupy a level often referred to as "ultra-premium," below the luxury lines Seabourn, Silversea, and Regent Seven Seas. 

It's true that HAL fares are very attractive right now.  

1 minute ago, MarkWiltonM said:

Holland-America is far from a "luxury" cruise line. Along with Celebrity and Princess, it is just above the mainstream cruise line level of Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, MSC, etc. With the premium lines you generally get somewhat better food and service and fewer kids. Oceania and Viking occupy a level often referred to as "ultra-premium," below the luxury lines Seabourn, Silversea, and Regent Seven Seas. 

It's true that HAL fares are very attractive right now.  

So although not full-on ultra premium, HAL at least is classified as above the likes of NCL and RC?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, icedearth15324 said:

So although not full-on ultra premium, HAL at least is classified as above the likes of NCL and RC?

There is really no "classification" of cruise lines other than those that people arbitrarily assign to their cruise line of choice or cruise line they do not like.  Nothing "official". 😉

• Like 1

Just now, taxmantoo said:

There is really no "classification" of cruise lines other than those that people arbitrarily assign to their cruise line of choice or cruise line they do not like.  Nothing "official". 😉

True, I was just mainly trying to use it as a gauge of how well the amenities on the line are since the costs seem to be so much cheaper. Would the room on HAL be the equivalent of a Motel 6 or would it be like a Hilton Doubletree? Is the food the equivalent of eating in a high school cafeteria or is it somewhat higher quality? Those types of things.

6 minutes ago, icedearth15324 said:

Even that could be debatable depending on the ship and type of accommodation.   For example, HAL has nothing to compete with NCL's Haven Suites (and amenities).  It would be the same with the larger RCI Suites and their amenities.   We even found MSC's Yacht Club far superior to what we have experienced on many HAL cruises.  

The cruise industry has been undergoing a major change in the past decade.  Many mass market lines have built new vessels with dedicated cabins/amenities for those that desire, and are willing to pay, for a luxury "ship within a ship" experience.  HAL still has no answer to this competition although some would cite the Neptune Lounge.  But the truth is that the Neptune Lounge pales by comparison of what is available for folks in major suites on most other lines.

Hank

Icedearth, HAL is in a curious spot; it’s a 4-door Sedan; somewhere between Buick and Cadillac?? Certainly not an AUDI A8; but neither is it a basic Ford. Nice ships but  no younger-set waterslides or nightlife. ‘OldSchool’ in ambiance. Great food, attentive staff, older clientele. A bargain if you don’t need the Bling-bling 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Icedearth, HAL is in a curious spot; it’s a 4-door Sedan; somewhere between Buick and Cadillac?? Certainly not an AUDI A8; but neither is it a basic Ford. Nice ships but  no younger-set waterslides or nightlife. ‘OldSchool’ in ambiance. Great food, attentive staff, older clientele. A bargain if you don’t need the Bling-bling 

This is actually the type of answer I was looking for! Being a couple with no plans on children, we don't need the slides and don't care about the nightlife. The last cruise we went on we didn't go to a single show, or did really any event. We pretty much just ate, drank, and swam if we weren't on an excursion.

Thanks so much for the reply.

• Like 3

Price is not necessarily a good indicator of quality or different perceptions of various cruise lines.

We have purchased late booking Celebrity cruises at 30 percent less than the same for same HAL price.   Same with Princes from time to time. And Hal on occasion. 

Keep in mind a price is only a point in time price. Can be for four hours, two weeks, or several months.

For the past four of five pre covid Alaska seasons HAL has had some of the lowest prices compared to their competitors.

This is all down to supply/demand and pricing algorithms.  I would never make any assumptions of cruise lines or cruise ships based on price offered.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icedearth15324 said:

I've only ever sailed on Norwegian, but my wife and I were looking at some other cruise lines. 

The same Alaskan trip I did in September is close to half the cost with Holland than it was for NCL. And I just want to find out what the primary differences are.

You must be referring to HAL's promotion of 1/2 price for 2nd passengers for 3 stars and up Mariners.

I booked an Alaskan cruise in Sept. and HAL's price is far from low.

Tom

20 minutes ago, icedearth15324 said:

This is actually the type of answer I was looking for! Being a couple with no plans on children, we don't need the slides and don't care about the nightlife. The last cruise we went on we didn't go to a single show, or did really any event. We pretty much just ate, drank, and swam if we weren't on an excursion.

Thanks so much for the reply.

You will then greatly appreciate HAL.  We are probably similar to you…started cruising with them when we were 30 and typically without children, often among the the youngest on board, but we love the relaxed, laid back, quieter atmosphere.  If you are looking for upscale in cabins, the Neptune suites and pinnacle suites are great.  Amenities that accompany them may not be same level as other upscale product’s , but free laundry, Neptune lounge and club orange restaurant (on the Konningsdam, Nieuw Statendam, and Rotterdam).  The Neptune suite baths on Nieuw Statendam (and possibly the Rotterdam) are also very nice with jetted tubs and large separate jetted showers.  Evening music venues are very enjoyable also as are the optional restaurants.  We have cruised NCL haven multiple times and MSC yacht club, but dollar for dollar we continue to come back to HAL.  Also, I’ve not met friendlier crew.  The crew is less varied in nationality (the vast majority are Indonesian), but I think that brings them closer as a whole and it shows…they are awesome!

• Like 5

All I know is that we booked a guaranteed inside cabin on the Rotterdam for March 20th, 7 days to the southern Caribbean for $973.00 for the 2 of us with port charges included. We are 3 Star Mariners and will get to 4 Stars while on the cruise. Hard to beat that price but we might have done a little better with a cruise on MSC around 4 years ago.

Edited by MISTER 67

3 hours ago, icedearth15324 said:

What are you comparing ?  Rooms, port taxes, special offers, departure ports, sailing dates, ship size, etc. ?

1 hour ago, Boatdrill said:

What are you comparing ?  Rooms, port taxes, special offers, departure ports, sailing dates, ship size, etc. ?

It was mainly just final prices. An inside room for the same location and dates from HAL for two people is $1768 after all fees while NCL is $2499. That's a pretty significant difference.

HAL inside stateroom sizes are 141-284 sq ft, while NCL are 135-362, so relatively similar sized as well.

• Like 1

Norwegian has the worst current pricing and value on cruises right now of any line . You're just realizing it now after doing your homework is all. I kicked NCL to the curb. Booked my alaska cruise with Holland instead as NCL is double...... laughable. 

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 1

I've been to Alaska with both NCL and HAL. HAL will have better food, better docking in Juneau and Ketchikan (no shuttles involved). NCL will have better shows in the main theater. HAL will have better live music. NCL will have much more going on during sea days in terms of programming. HAL will be more relaxing. I found the variety of drinks available to be greater on NCL I found the quality of the drinks to be a little better on HAL. NCL does better with beer especially on the ships with the taprooms. The NCL buffet has a greater variety of available food, HALs buffet has a higher quality of food. NCL has more specialty eating venues, HAL has fewer venues but a better main dining room. More kids and families on NCL than we have seen on HAL. We have enjoyed both lines and would sail either one without hesitation. We are platinum with NCL and 2 star with HAL. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, shanni-shanni said:

You must be referring to HAL's promotion of 1/2 price for 2nd passengers for 3 stars and up Mariners.

I booked an Alaskan cruise in Sept. and HAL's price is far from low.

Tom

We are Aussie  3 star Mariners and haven’t seen this promotion.

11 hours ago, gknep said:

I've been to Alaska with both NCL and HAL. HAL will have better food, better docking in Juneau and Ketchikan (no shuttles involved). NCL will have better shows in the main theater. HAL will have better live music. NCL will have much more going on during sea days in terms of programming. HAL will be more relaxing. I found the variety of drinks available to be greater on NCL I found the quality of the drinks to be a little better on HAL. NCL does better with beer especially on the ships with the taprooms. The NCL buffet has a greater variety of available food, HALs buffet has a higher quality of food. NCL has more specialty eating venues, HAL has fewer venues but a better main dining room. More kids and families on NCL than we have seen on HAL. We have enjoyed both lines and would sail either one without hesitation. We are platinum with NCL and 2 star with HAL. 

Thank you so much for the rundown, this is excellent.

On 1/31/2022 at 8:40 AM, icedearth15324 said:

I understand your question as I often wondered about this myself.  HAL is not an expensive cruise line, at least for the common 7-day cruises.  They do , however, offer more elaborate longer cruises on smaller ships which might be part of the reason that they are considered "premium".  The other reason is perhaps the more serene experience on board.  Older passengers, quiet sea days and not so much drinking and partying at night.

igraf

• Like 1

We view HAL as a mass market cruise line with some very good itineraries.  Certainly not even close to a luxury line.   

A so called premium line?  In our view as just as premium as a Princess or a Celebrity. 

But we are not 'boosters' for any particular cruise line. We like all them that we have so far had the pleasure of cruising on.

Edited by iancal

2 hours ago, iancal said:

We view HAL as a mass market cruise line with some very good itineraries.  Certainly not even close to a luxury line.   

A so called premium line?  In our view as just as premium as a Princess or a Celebrity. 

But we are not 'boosters' for any particular cruise line. We like all them that we have so far had the pleasure of cruising on.

I think most would group HAL with Princess and Celebrity. And those three are normally considered “premium” when compared to Carnival, NCL, or Royal Caribbean.  I very rarely hear people referring to HAL as a luxury line unless they are new cruisers who aren’t familiar with all the lines out there. Regent is a luxury line; not HAL. 

Deals can be found on any line and sometimes an HAL cruise will even cost less than one on Carnival but the onboard experience is definitely more premium on HAL. The service is more personal and things like room service are still complimentary. Fresh flowers can still be found even though arrangements have shrunk. Real towels are in the public restrooms rather than paper (or, worse, air dryers). The decor is generally of higher quality and visually more pleasing. Etc etc etc. 

• Like 1

Some of the higher prices, like on NCL, reflect the many people using FCC, therefore I think the cruiseline has high prices right now.  It should settle down as the FCC expire.  I don't have those, but was looking at cruises on NCL last week and was very surprised at the very high prices.  HAL has had some good promos, like the private sale with 1/2 off second guest, and if you don't mind a guarantee cabin without the drink package and so on,  this is a very good deal. Personally, we prefer HAL, but have no issues with NCL, and have been happy sailing with them if the timing works out.

54 minutes ago, Bostonjetset said:

I think most would group HAL with Princess and Celebrity. And those three are normally considered “premium” when compared to Carnival, NCL, or Royal Caribbean.  I very rarely hear people referring to HAL as a luxury line unless they are new cruisers who aren’t familiar with all the lines out there. Regent is a luxury line; not HAL. 

Deals can be found on any line and sometimes an HAL cruise will even cost less than one on Carnival but the onboard experience is definitely more premium on HAL. The service is more personal and things like room service are still complimentary. Fresh flowers can still be found even though arrangements have shrunk. Real towels are in the public restrooms rather than paper (or, worse, air dryers). The decor is generally of higher quality and visually more pleasing. Etc etc etc. 

We were VERY pleasantly impressed with our last two RCI cruises.  One 10 day Rome-BCN, the other 21 day Oz/NZ.

Both were, to us, every bit as good as our Celebrity, HAL, or Princess cruises.   Service and food top notch.   Entertainment.....excellent.   For our money we would place RCI in with that bunch.  Similar demographics to our other cruises. They were both on the cusp of the shoulder season so we did expect many familes.

We had one minor issue on the OZ cruise one night.  We were not complaining but mentioned it when asked by our server.  The server came back and said one of the managers would like to meet with us after dinner in the sitting area just  outside the MDR .  We were shocked at this since we perceived our issue as very minor.

Edited by iancal