We didn't like the Haven, what are we missing

SpainAlien

14 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

So, I know this will be controversial but we stayed in our first Haven cabin on the Joy last year. This week were given the option to upgrade our club suite on the Epic and we sat down and talked about it. We decided that we didn't want to go up to the Haven even though it would be relatively cheap at the moment, our reasoning was this:

We didn't like the attention of the butler and concierge

We didn't use the butler's or concierge's services being quite independent

We didn't use the coffee machine because we don't like Nespresso 

We didn't like the repetitiveness of the Haven restaurant 

The daily snacks went uneaten because there is so much food on board

We did like the ship

We loved the cabin but didn't need all that space (forward facing Haven suite)

We did like the common areas and couldn't see the advantage of the Haven areas.

We like Spice H20, particularly on Epic and can't imagine spending much time in the Haven pool area because of the noise from the vents (we didn't notice this noise on Joy)

Maybe I am missing something but in our case the "once you go Haven you will never go back to a standard cabin" just doesn't apply. In fact we have booked a forward facing oceanview on Escape for Dec 2023

@SpainAlien The Haven is simply not for everyone. NCL is not everyone choice of Cruise Brand.  As you might already know, I write a lot about the Haven.  It would be easy to take each of your bullet points and make comments.  However that would not show you the respect you should receive for a well written post. 

I was on the Joy on the November 27th sailing.  We were in the Haven.  We loved it as always but there is a very good reason for that.  I set the expectations for my family way before we set sail.  I also did the very detailed work to have every single detail in place so I had nothing to do onboard.  I was my own cruise consultant and it took for ever.  The good news is, I love doing that and my family does none of it.  

I agree most everything you said based on what your likes and dislikes are.  My wife and I are on the Breakaway in December. We to are in a Club Suite.  I hope we also get a Haven upgrade bid opportunity.  If not, we will still have an awesome time.  I again complement you on saying the way you saw it.  

Cruise well.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Some people try the Haven and don't want to do it again.

Some people try NCL and don't want to do it again.

Some people try cruising and don't want to do it again. 

There's nothing wrong with wanting to try something,  giving something a try, and then deciding that it isn't for you. 

Well put. 😎  This thread has been like a breath of fresh air.  To your point, I agree with trying things, but I'm a steerage guy so my "try something" experience was upgrading to a balcony last October.  It was exactly what I expected.  Nice to have a balcony and a bit extra room, but not something I would pay a lot of money for.  I'll likely never experience the Haven because when it comes to cheap upgrades well, like the saying goes, "you can't get there from here."

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Trimone said:

Tipping should make no difference, a gentleman always tips at the end of the service, after receiving above standard of service…

It does make a difference. It is what it is.  A gentlemen doesn’t make the tip obvious at any time..the servers like that for sure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pcakes122 said:

Well. Since I haven't been cruising (or gambling on NCL), the comp I was offered on a Prima cruise was an M2 (Forward-Facing Club Balcony) and my upgrade price to the Haven (HB) was $2210! 

this may have had more to do with the fact that the prima and viva are excluded from many CAS offers than any absence of recent tracked play. once they have you "in the system," your rating is good unless you no play them or low play hem.

i had a ten day comped haven offer, but asked about getting on the prima twelve day TA... longer cruise, excluded ship. they said they could get me comped on the prima for that cruise, but only in a balcony. shortly after that, the haven sold out for that sailing.

• Like 1

I can agree with much of the OP and subsequent posters have said but actually think that is a credit to NCL in that you can have a great experience even by booking the most modest inside cabin. If you are out and about whether on shore, or at a restaurant, pool, bar, theater, everything is pretty much the same. Haven guests do get priority off the ship, but that just means you wait longer for your shore excursion. You have a reserved seating section in the theater but go a bit early and anyone gets a better seat. The concierge can get you in almost any restaurant any time but a little advance planning eliminates that need. The Butlers bring great snacks but most go uneaten.

Especially on the Jewel class ships, the suites are the same inside or outside the Haven.

That being said, having the only covered pool area is great for cold weather cruises, and the spacious deck areas and pools are great for voyages with a lot of sea days. 

• Like 2

On 2/1/2022 at 1:46 PM, Hutcha said:

Brits aren't known for their tipping though.

Sorry - but that is a load of tosh - maybe back in the 80's!! 🤣

Culturally in the UK we tend not to have so many  bars/restaurants where you sit and have drinks and dinner on the bar

Edited by Markj
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Markj said:

Sorry - but that is a load of tosh - maybe back in the 80's!! 🤣

Culturally in the UK we tend not to have so many  bars/restaurants where you sit and have drinks and dinner on the bar

A recent conversation between Brits. I saw this post 20 mins after my above post....

On 2/1/2022 at 2:46 AM, upwarduk said:
On 2/1/2022 at 1:59 AM, CruiseCrew123 said:

I don’t get this compulsion to tip all the time . You have already paid greatly for this trip and paid increased gratuities so why more ? Especially to those like the concierge /retreat host - they are just doing their job . Do you also tip hotel receptionist, supermarket workers , your accountant for saving on your taxes ???? 

And yes I’m from the UK !

My impression is that people think they are BUYING a better service if they tip.
We have always been given excellent service.

Yes, it’s a different culture!😱

I'm half British. Half of my family is there, and I've spent an extensive amount of time over there. Most, like yourself, will tip well when made aware of the fact that it's expected. It does not come naturally however

Edited by Hutcha
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

A recent conversation between Brits. I saw this post 20 mins after my above post....

I'm half British. Half of my family is there, and I've spent an extensive amount of time over there. Most, like yourself, will tip well when made aware of the fact that it's expected. It does not come naturally however

I'm a Brit living in Spain and every week I am stunned that a table of four people having a menu at 15€ per person will leave 1-2€ tip between them (at the most). Now tipping in Spain is not like it is in US but even so 10% should be the ball park figure although a tip is not expected if you are just buying a coffee or a beer.

Years ago we went to Las Vegas, booked a table at Olives in the Bellagio. When we arrived it was noticed that we were British, we were greeted and seated at an out of the way table, we served courteously but not fauned over. At the end of the meal our bill arrived and we tipped 30% our waitress was visibly shocked, this same experience followed us for our entire trip.

We have only once refused to tip and that was in Florida where we had rude wait staff, we were made to sit in a draft by the door, we had to wait 30 minutes even for a menu to be thrown at us, after 3 hours we had received two courses and gave up on the idea of dessert and asked for the bill: it was presented to us with an automatic 40% gratuity. We paid the flat rate and left. I often wonder if we had not been British would we have been treated so poorly.

My tipping story runs in the other direction.  Twenty-five years ago, when I was still on active duty, my assignment required spending considerable time throughout Australia.  Tipping in that country is conventionally 5%-10%.  But I always tipped the typical U.S. rate of 20%, and a few times, a bit more.  I remember the look on one young fellow's face after I tipped him for bringing my room service order.  You'd have thought I'd given him the keys to a Ferrari.

Now, I didn't tip this way to show off as a "rich American" or anything like that.  Rather, it was my experience throughout their country that the level of service, with a sincere desire to please and keen attention to detail, was remarkable.  Far more professional than, frankly, many places in America.  Those folks more than earned the 20% that many service-workers in America take for granted.

Edited by CDR Benson

twenty-five years ago, a good tip in the USA was universally considered to be 15%.

a 20% tip, while not unheard of, would have been considered quite generous back then, even in america.

in many parts of america today (outside of the biggest cities),  people still tip only 15%.

Edited by UKstages

EHHH I'm kind of on same page as o/p.

We did a Baltic cruise in August 2018 on Breakaway. Had a 2 bedroom Haven, there were 3 of us.

The extra room was great, the Haven bar was a respite from the crowds, it was a fully booked cruise with many many kids. That's about it.

The butler lmao, we saw her twice, on the day we boarded and the night before disembark, holding her hand out for a tip. To me, especially with current pricing so not worth the money, I'd rather have a few cruises with that money and now I tend to avoid cruises when school is out or do trans Atlantics. 

Just my opinion

• Like 3

My wife and I did a Haven suite on our cruise in December on the Breakaway, and honestly we enjoyed it so much.

Our butler was awesome, and even though we didn't use him to the extent other have, he did do a great job. He brought us great snacks, and if we didn't eat something, he would make sure to bring us something different. If he saw we ate them all, he'd get us similar things. He even managed to get us two of the raspberry creme brulees from Cagney's one night. 

The concierge was really nice, and helped us out quite a bit. Particularly with canceling an excursion last minute due to an upset stomach. It's possible the excursion deck could have done this too, but we'll chalk it up to the Haven experience.

In the Haven itself, the wait staff that walked around were fantastic. After only the first day he had our drinks memorized, and would basically just ask if we wanted more. The food they had there was good too, although limited. 

The nespresso machine was used once, only to try it. But my wife loved the tea, she easily used them all up and would take them with her to other restaurants. 

Depending on the cruise, we could easily see ourselves spending the extra money for a haven suite, even if it was just for the extra space. 

did haven on bliss a few xmas ago. even at that price i think for xmas it was worth it. to avoid the lines and get some peace in the huge 2 story lounge was nice. when on xmas day they canceled GSC we walked the pool deck . looked like a 3rd world country where everyone got kicked out onto the streets because their houses were uninhabitable. you literally couldnt walk down any walkways. there were loungers places id never seen them before. it was total mayhem. but i guess 'people' in general must like it cause they all did it. 

back to haven ...ahhh..yup that was worth it. only thing is the restaurant was slow but it was a holiday week.  

10 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

did haven on bliss a few xmas ago. even at that price i think for xmas it was worth it. to avoid the lines and get some peace in the huge 2 story lounge was nice. when on xmas day they canceled GSC we walked the pool deck . looked like a 3rd world country where everyone got kicked out onto the streets because their houses were uninhabitable. you literally couldnt walk down any walkways. there were loungers places id never seen them before. it was total mayhem. but i guess 'people' in general must like it cause they all did it. 

back to haven ...ahhh..yup that was worth it. only thing is the restaurant was slow but it was a holiday week.  

Cruised for years. On all the major cruise lines. Been on Cruise Critics for years.

Never seen or read -

'looked like a 3rd world country where everyone got kicked out onto the streets because their houses were uninhabitable. you literally couldnt walk down any walkways.'

Why would anyone cruise on any ship or cruise line that looked like -

A 3rd world country?

I personally am totally offended by this statement. So should all of us who do not cruise in the Haven.

• Like 4

We have never tried the Haven and probably won’t.   For us, we could fly to/from Paris and rent an apartment for the less than we’ve priced out the Haven.  And those kinds of vacations are where we like to spend the bulk of our vacation dollars.  When cruising, we do get a standard balcony, but wouldn’t go any higher than that.  Honestly, we want to keep to ourselves so the butler bringing stuff and wanting to interact would not be welcome. And I plan all of our meals/excursions ahead of time.

What WOULD attract me to the Haven is the private dining and private areas.  But I’ve also read that private doesn’t always equal peaceful and sometimes you have to deal with obnoxious loud adults and kids, along with clueless parents, the same as in public areas.  So it could sometimes be the luck of the draw.  That’s not appealing.

We like to buy spa passes and feel like we can get away from the noise (usually) and the kids.  Otherwise we stay in our balcony or find a quit nook.

But hey, I’m glad the haven exists for those who want it and think they get their money’s worth based on how they cruise and what’s important to them.  To each his own.I am slightly jealous of being treated like a VIP with the priority access and having issues magically fixed, but it’s not enough of a draw for us.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, melodyesch said:

What WOULD attract me to the Haven is the private dining and private areas.  But I’ve also read that private doesn’t always equal peaceful and sometimes you have to deal with obnoxious loud adults and kids, along with clueless parents, the same as in public areas.  So it could sometimes be the luck of the draw.  That’s not appealing.

Real and recent experience:  December of this year.

The Haven restaurant was by FAR the noisiest (and honestly, obnoxious) dining venue on the ship. 

We (and the couple at the 2-top next to us) literally could not have a conversation with our spouses due to the loud, boisterous 4 top chortling how they would "NEVER get the booster shot.  We ONLY got the vaccinations so we could go on this cruise!"  And then on and on with more nonsense at the top of their voices.  And BTW, there were ZERO kids in the Haven.  All "adults."

We found that Savor and Taste were a quiet respite from the Haven restaurant.  The specialties were night and day calmer and less noisy.  Solidified our decision of 'never again" in Haven (and never again on big ships).

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Oxo said:

'looked like a 3rd world country where everyone got kicked out onto the streets because their houses were uninhabitable. you literally couldnt walk down any walkways.'

Why would anyone cruise on any ship or cruise line that looked like - A 3rd world country?

I personally am totally offended by this statement. So should all of us who do not cruise in the Haven.

I can't say for certain, however, I believe you mistook what "picture was being painted" by@luckyinpa.

The way I read is was "The main pool deck was so crammed full of people who had moved loungers and chairs out of the typical rows, that it was nearly impossible to walk from aft to forward (or vise versa). 

I read it that way, because DH had experienced similar type situations on both the Getaway in November 2019, and EPIC in January 2020.  It actually was very difficult to walk through!

Also, @luckyinpa did go on to say, "back to haven ...ahhh..yup that was worth it. only thing is the restaurant was slow but it was a holiday week."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ggTexasGal said:

I can't say for certain, however, I believe you mistook what "picture was being painted" by@luckyinpa.

The way I read is was "The main pool deck was so crammed full of people who had moved loungers and chairs out of the typical rows, that it was nearly impossible to walk from aft to forward (or vise versa). 

I read it that way, because DH had experienced similar type situations on both the Getaway in November 2019, and EPIC in January 2020.  It actually was very difficult to walk through!

Also, @luckyinpa did go on to say, "back to haven ...ahhh..yup that was worth it. only thing is the restaurant was slow but it was a holiday week."

You read it totally different than I did. You stated the condition in a civil manner. What ship or cruise line does not experience this type of crowding? 

Thanks for your interpretation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, melodyesch said:

it's def luck. i found only minor issues with kids clogging up the courtyard pool pathways. you had to walk around..oh boy i got more steps. was good for me actually. a small group of 3 boys in the fwd lounge playing games but basically to themselves. one time they ran up and down the cabin hall. but id' say 98 percent trouble free in the haven with kids in general for me. last night of the cruise 4 teen girls took over the giant courtyard pool (cause thats all that really fits anyway lol). they were considerate and not loud at all. even joined us in the hot tub. well behaved and respectable teens. who says that these days? 🙂

personally i find loud adults more annoying than kids. cause kids 'dont know better' but the boisterous adults should know better. but they feel important telling the world their business. no one will ever stop it. 

1 hour ago, Oxo said:

You read it totally different than I did. You stated the condition in a civil manner. What ship or cruise line does not experience this type of crowding? 

Thanks for your interpretation. 

What ships or cruise lines do not have what is described around the pool?

There are at least some of the smaller ships in the premium/luxury lines that don't have "this type of crowding"?

They tend to cost more than the larger ships.  However, we've found that on, for example, Oceania's Riviera, a small "PH suite" can be similar in cost to a 2BR Haven suite on a Jewel Class ship.  (I put "PH suite" in quotes because it's really one larger room, not subdivided the way the NCL 2BR suites are, and it won't accommodate the number of passengers one can get into a Haven 2BR suite.

We'll probably be sailing again on NCL, in the Haven on a Jewel class ship, in the future, because we are bringing our kids and grands.  The grands, especially, will be much happier with the activities on NCL.   They'll behave themselves in the Haven; we've taken them to 4-5 star hotels since they were little, and they can look around and adapt to the situation (well, with a bit of advance coaching from the adults, and perhaps an occasional reminder, which is not unexpected 😉 ).

But for just the two of us, no more "large ships".

"Been there, done that."

We went on the Pearl for a Christmas/New Year's cruise several years ago, and it was horrible.  That may have mostly been to a few groups of totally out of control children and teens.  Thank goodness for the Haven!  And obviously, a holiday cruise is more likely to be a bit boisterous.  However, the next year, we did a very similar holiday cruise on Oceania's Riviera, and what a difference!  We loved it!  (Others may have been bored to tears?)

There's something for everyone...

GC

Allow me to kick in with some thoughts.  I love cruising and write extensively about the Haven.  I love it and happy to share why.  That is not the point of this post.  As much as I love the Haven, I really wanted to try a Luxury Cruise.  I just did not want to pay a fair that was the same as a small SUV.  I did and it was delightful.  

Luxury cruising had many of the things that you don't get in the Haven, Celebrity Retreat or the MSC Yacht Club.  The personalized serve, dinning, and especially the butler were over the top.  It was a great experiment and I am glad I did it. I learned something.  Luxury Cruising is not for the Caribbean it is for destinations like Europe where the smaller ships can get into the unique ports.  Luxury would be best done for two weeks or more.

I bring this up because it helps me make my point. Most folks that go on a Mainstream Cruise Brand love the things I missed on the Luxury cruise.  The multitude of places for good live music.  Lots of bars to choose from with different themes. Larger scale shows with much bigger budgets.  The biggest thing was a feeling of energy that came from the younger cruises.  I might be old, but I want to feel young again. 

Where a luxury cruise  the entire ship was like the Haven, Retreat and Yacht Club on steroids; there is something to say about having this huge ship with everything it has to offer.  When you want quiet and privacy, to have a area like the Haven.  Yes, I wish they did better with enforcing the rules in the Haven Pool/Hot tub; yes I wish they had a menu that changes for variety; yes I which they would have another bartender and larger bar in the Haven lounge. 

All that said, knowing nothing is perfect; my wife and I love the blend and look for ways to leverage every benefit provided.  Not for everyone, worth a try as we did with luxury cruising.

This is a great thread and I complement the OP for being very transparent.  What we can all agree on, cruise is so much fun.  

Cruise well everyone. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

i think it may have been the reference to "a 3rd world country where everyone got kicked out onto the streets because their houses were uninhabitable" that negatively influenced some folks' interpretation of the comment. it certainly did mine. what an odd statement.

i've been to a lot of so-called third world countries and i can tell you that there are parts of the USA that look exactly the same. i would never describe a crowded and congested pool deck as "like a third world country," especially since, strictly speaking, there most likely aren't many pool decks in a third world country.  i also have never seen anybody in a third world country "kicked out onto the streets" because their homes were uninhabitable.

a more apt and conventional comparison might have been to say it was like "grand central station" up there or it was "packed to the gills" or people were "packed like sardines" or it was "rammed to the rafters."

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Allow me to kick in with some thoughts.  I love cruising and write extensively about the Haven.  I love it and happy to share why.  That is not the point of this post.  As much as I love the Haven, I really wanted to try a Luxury Cruise.  I just did not want to pay a fair that was the same as a small SUV.  I did and it was delightful.  

Luxury cruising had many of the things that you don't get in the Haven, Celebrity Retreat or the MSC Yacht Club.  The personalized serve, dinning, and especially the butler were over the top.  It was a great experiment and I am glad I did it. I learned something.  Luxury Cruising is not for the Caribbean it is for destinations like Europe where the smaller ships can get into the unique ports.  Luxury would be best done for two weeks or more.

I bring this up because it helps me make my point. Most folks that go on a Mainstream Cruise Brand love the things I missed on the Luxury cruise.  The multitude of places for good live music.  Lots of bars to choose from with different themes. Larger scale shows with much bigger budgets.  The biggest thing was a feeling of energy that came from the younger cruises.  I might be old, but I want to feel young again. 

Where a luxury cruise  the entire ship was like the Haven, Retreat and Yacht Club on steroids; there is something to say about having this huge ship with everything it has to offer.  When you want quiet and privacy, to have a area like the Haven.  Yes, I wish they did better with enforcing the rules in the Haven Pool/Hot tub; yes I wish they had a menu that changes for variety; yes I which they would have another bartender and larger bar in the Haven lounge. 

All that said, knowing nothing is perfect; my wife and I love the blend and look for ways to leverage every benefit provided.  Not for everyone, worth a try as we did with luxury cruising.

This is a great thread and I complement the OP for being very transparent.  What we can all agree on, cruise is so much fun.  

Cruise well everyone. 

How do you feel The Haven compares to MSC YC?

We did that in January, 020, and were not incredibly impressed. We disembarked about 3 weeks before the Diamond was refused entry to Japan, so it’s entirety possible the crew were standoffish because they knew what was coming. We’ve no way to know.