Check in now - haven’t completely decided to go

mama-of-three

Check in for our March 20 cruise has opened. Is there value in me completing check in even if we haven’t 💯 decided if we are going to go? We are still weighing out if we can afford the time and money if we test positive and have  to quarantine in the States. 

Check In as you do not have to make the decision now to cruise or not.  We were supposed to cruise Jan 9th on the Oasis of the Seas and we did checked in in late November even if we were unsure that we would be cruising.   We were wavering up until 2 weeks before the cruise when we decided at that point that the stress to get thru the numerous hoops plus now Omicron, no longer made it a vacation.   

Royal allows to cancel up to 48 hrs before the cruise. We are now hoping for April 🙂

Check the rules for your cruiseline and they may reassure you.  

It seems to me that there is no particular benefit in checking in now, so if you aren't sure yet whether or not you are going, don't waste the time that it takes to go through the check in process. On the other hand, if you have lots of free time on your hands, it wouldn't hurt to check in now. Personally, I wouldn't bother until such time as I decided that I was going, but that's just me.

• Like 1

We checked in for our March 13 cruise.  We aren't on the fence about going but with children in school we very well could test positive and can't go.  We've checked in to so many cruises the past two years I could do it with my eyes closed at this point! LOL

• Haha 1

On our check in date a couple weeks ago, we weren't sure if we were going either, but we did check in.  Now I just did final payment and we are proceeding ahead...as long as we don't get covid, we can avoid any close contact to a positive case, and as long as nothing bad changes for the worse pandemic-wise.  The advantage to checking in is that the earlier you check in, the earlier a check in time you can get (meaning when you can board the ship).  So now I'm glad we did check in when it opened.

56 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

On our check in date a couple weeks ago, we weren't sure if we were going either, but we did check in.  Now I just did final payment and we are proceeding ahead...as long as we don't get covid, we can avoid any close contact to a positive case, and as long as nothing bad changes for the worse pandemic-wise.  The advantage to checking in is that the earlier you check in, the earlier a check in time you can get (meaning when you can board the ship).  So now I'm glad we did check in when it opened.

Out of curiosity, how were you able to check in a couple of weeks before making your final payment?

8 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Out of curiosity, how were you able to check in a couple of weeks before making your final payment?

This is for a Royal cruise.   Not sure about other cruise lines.

Check in opens at 45 days before (last week of Jan for us). 

Final payment normally is 90 days before (so it would have been first), but due to the pandemic, our March cruise final payment is only 30 days before.  So it's not due until end of next week.

50 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

This is for a Royal cruise.   Not sure about other cruise lines.

Check in opens at 45 days before (last week of Jan for us). 

Final payment normally is 90 days before (so it would have been first), but due to the pandemic, our March cruise final payment is only 30 days before.  So it's not due until end of next week.

Ah, interesting. With the FPD being pushed back, I would have thought that they'd push the check in date too. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 3:23 PM, Fouremco said:

You can add all the information for check in anytime after booking. You just don't have access to your boarding pass until closer to your sail date.

1 hour ago, OVgirl said:

You can add all the information for check in anytime after booking. You just don't have access to your boarding pass until closer to your sail date.

Thanks. We've only cruised on Royal Caribbean once, and I don't recall check in being available then until after final payment. I'll bear that in mind should we sail with them again.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2022 at 2:09 PM, Sprocket said:

Have you thought about insurance that only covers Covid?  Covers accommodation and meals and some other related expenses. Very reasonable and also covers those travelling with you.  Lots of options out there.

We both have extended health plans but because Canada is saying “do not cruise” both companies say it is equivalent to level 4 which means they won’t cover Covid medical. 

On 2/4/2022 at 5:09 PM, Sprocket said:

Have you thought about insurance that only covers Covid?  Covers accommodation and meals and some other related expenses. Very reasonable and also covers those travelling with you.  Lots of options out there.

Hi, do you have any recommendations for insurance that only covers Covid, something that I can use as a supplement for other coverage I already seem to have.  Thanks!

On 2/11/2022 at 6:59 PM, mama-of-three said:

Final payment Feb 18

Our FP is Feb 22 for April 23 cruise and I totally understand your dilemma.  I wish Celebrity would move it to 30 days out.  One day I'm gong and the next i'm cancelling.  All I have to think of is quarantining or hospitalization in Hawaii. $$$$$$$$.

On 2/11/2022 at 7:03 PM, mama-of-three said:

We both have extended health plans but because Canada is saying “do not cruise” both companies say it is equivalent to level 4 which means they won’t cover Covid medical. 

I wonder when Canada will lift the "do not cruise" when Alaska season is just around the corner?  Stopping in Victoria and Vancouver!

11 minutes ago, lost4sure said:

I wonder when Canada will lift the "do not cruise" when Alaska season is just around the corner?  Stopping in Victoria and Vancouver!

I keep hearing Alaska cruising starts April. Would be nice if they got on with changing the do not sail order.