Cancelling Alaska Land Cruise Due to Lack of Clear Information/Policy

grooker

Sadly, we decided to cancel our June 2 Alaska land/cruise (land first day 1-4) out of Anchorage.

I spent the last 2 days on the phone with the tour operator, our travel agent and Holland America

trying to get clarity on how we will get valid COVID pcr tests on day 2 or

3 while in Denali or Anchorage so that we can board the Noordam on day 4, southbound to Vancouver.

No one can tell us anything or they will not know until 60-90 days from embarkation, but our full payment is due

100 days before embarkation.    Our travel agent just said they will just give us a list of places in Anchorage

that you can get the test.  In other words, we may be entirely on our own. 

We were floored and lost total confidence in the lack of at least a rudimentary or plausible plan.

We booked this cruise 6 months ago and realize policies have not been set or are changing literally daily.

We have not made full payment and will take our deposit as a FCC and re-schedule next year maybe. 

Not sure what else to do.  Any suggestions or reassurance will be appreciated. 

grooker

• Thanks 1

I was sure this was about the Denali road closures. Princess Cruse just told some people they were only going to M/P 17. I think you made a smart decision but for a different reason. Check the Alaska forum. I wonder about still cruising but skip the tour part since you maybe have airfare. We are not cruising because of c-19 and health issues. 

sightcrr

As discussed in several threads here, the current testing requirement is set to expire Feb 28. It might be allowed to expire, it might be extended, or it might be altered.

Not sure anybody, anywhere, knows what Covid is going to be doing and causing in June. Holland America is no exception, and I doubt any other cruise line has an idea what the Covid issues might be 4 months from now. Frustrating, yes, but, unfortunately the Covid world.

• Like 3

You should be able to cancel your June 2nd cruisetour before final payment and get all of your money back including the deposit unless you have a nonrefundable deposit.  Holland America would arrange for testing if that is still required before boarding the ship.  Once you begin the cruise tour they will take care of your journey.  You will not be required to find a place mid tour to be tested.   HAL really does a good job with their tours.  2022 will not be a normal year.

That said, I would cancel.  June 2 is early in the Alaska season.  Get your money back and plan to go in 2023.  You will have a much better experience next year since the Denali road will be under construction this year, no guarantees that it will be finished by June 2023.  Watch for updates here or on nps.gov.

Edited by oaktreerb

We have posted, elsewhere, about the constant changing rules in the cruise/travel world.  What has happened to the OP in regard to their AK travel/cruise is pretty typical for travel in many places of the world.  Some of us see it as an adventure and do our best to "roll with the waves."  Many others, like the OP, do not have the risk tolerance level necessary to move on despite the lack of information and changing rules.   As folks who have never stopped traveling during COVID and have resumed cruising last July we can offer no answers other then that folks must work within their own comfort level.  I fear that the travel/cruise world will continue to be unstable for the next several years.  

I would suggest to the OP that nobody (including the cruise line) can give you the kind of reassurance you seek.  We have taken 3 cruises (44 days total) and several trips in the last 8 months and each trip has been a gamble with some of the related info not being available until the last minute.  We are currently planning a late March cruise to Europe and have no idea what awaits us (assuming the cruise happens) in Europe in terms of rules.  That is because the rules we will encounter in April-May do not even exist.  So we move forward with our planning (including an intra-Europe flight, International train trip, 2 week rental car, hotels, etc.  It is possible that we will embark on our cruise (27 days) without even knowing the rules that await us at disembarkation in Europe.  I mention all this to emphasize that the problem is not just with Alaskan cruise/trips...but this is a global issue.   Consider that we have planned on a little more than 3 weeks in Europe and will need to travel around 700 miles from our embarkation port to the country where we catch our return flight.  How we move that distance, where we stay, what we do, and even which countries we visit are all subject to change until the last second.  This is the travel world in which we now live and it might be the norm for a few years.

There are no easy answers for those of us who do continue to travel.  When on land we do mostly independent  travel (so we do not need to rely on tour companies and can keep our flexibility) and always do our best to make arrangements that can be cancelled and are refundable.  But otherwise it is akin to playing craps.  We know others that are also taking some interesting cruises/trips and their attitude is similar to ours in that they are very experienced travelers who are comfortable with an independent streak.  

Best of luck to the OP no matter what their decision.  But just know that you are in good company with all the hassles and doubts.

Hank

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Here is what the HAL web site says as of January 3, 2022 re worry-free promise and Health Protocols.  It appears ending date has been removed:

Updated January 3, 2022

You’re ready to explore again, and we’re here for you. Sailing with Holland America Line isn’t just one of the best ways to see the world — it’s also one of the safest.
On board and ashore, we're going above and beyond with exemplary standards for health, cleanliness and extraordinary guest service so you can get back to what you love: cruising, connecting with loved ones and celebrating every step of the journey with confidence.

Vaccinations & Testing

For everyone’s safety and peace of mind, all guests must be fully vaccinated and provide a negative viral COVID-19 test result taken within the 2 days before sailing. If you’re required to take a test before you return to your home country, we’ll provide one for you at no charge. Review our FAQs to learn more.

• Like 1

Last night, I had a one on one conversation with the virus itself.  Even it wasn't certain where it would be in June.  It is however, bewildered by the number of people who expect others to know what it will do next, when it doesn't really know itself.  (tic) 🤔😁

• Like 7
  • Haha 10

If there is reliable internet service, then perhaps the medically-supervised home self-test, with a doctor supervising via video, would be an option for you. Others have reported packing these and taking them at the appropriate time.

You mention a PCR test, but antigen tests are currently accepted, too (see their list for details). https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/worry-free-promise/travel-well/frequently-asked-questions/faq-for-cruises-from-usa.html

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We have posted, elsewhere, about the constant changing rules in the cruise/travel world.  What has happened to the OP in regard to their AK travel/cruise is pretty typical for travel in many places of the world.  Some of us see it as an adventure and do our best to "roll with the waves."  Many others, like the OP, do not have the risk tolerance level necessary to move on despite the lack of information and changing rules.   As folks who have never stopped traveling during COVID and have resumed cruising last July we can offer no answers other then that folks must work within their own comfort level.  I fear that the travel/cruise world will continue to be unstable for the next several years.  

I would suggest to the OP that nobody (including the cruise line) can give you the kind of reassurance you seek.  We have taken 3 cruises (44 days total) and several trips in the last 8 months and each trip has been a gamble with some of the related info not being available until the last minute.  We are currently planning a late March cruise to Europe and have no idea what awaits us (assuming the cruise happens) in Europe in terms of rules.  That is because the rules we will encounter in April-May do not even exist.  So we move forward with our planning (including an intra-Europe flight, International train trip, 2 week rental car, hotels, etc.  It is possible that we will embark on our cruise (27 days) without even knowing the rules that await us at disembarkation in Europe.  I mention all this to emphasize that the problem is not just with Alaskan cruise/trips...but this is a global issue.   Consider that we have planned on a little more than 3 weeks in Europe and will need to travel around 700 miles from our embarkation port to the country where we catch our return flight.  How we move that distance, where we stay, what we do, and even which countries we visit are all subject to change until the last second.  This is the travel world in which we now live and it might be the norm for a few years.

There are no easy answers for those of us who do continue to travel.  When on land we do mostly independent  travel (so we do not need to rely on tour companies and can keep our flexibility) and always do our best to make arrangements that can be cancelled and are refundable.  But otherwise it is akin to playing craps.  We know others that are also taking some interesting cruises/trips and their attitude is similar to ours in that they are very experienced travelers who are comfortable with an independent streak.  

Best of luck to the OP no matter what their decision.  But just know that you are in good company with all the hassles and doubts.

Hank

Hank,

I appreciate your reply. We also have traveled as much as has been reasonable throughout the last two years, and my wife is a high-risk individual for possible C19 effects. We’re not ignorant of the risks, either. A dear first cousin, fully immunized before the boosters were available contracted C19 and succumbed despite his precautions. 

We traveled to Europe in October for a two week land tour and river cruise. Even up to the day of our flights, things were changing. During our river cruise, one country required testing for all passengers before disembarkation. The cruise line fully handled the  scheduling and administration of the required tests (we had to pay, but not fool with looking for a place to test). They also handled our required testing when time to return home.

Earlier this year, Seth, the HAL Ambassador, held a live stream FAQ on the 2022 Alaska season. Even then, he did not have specifics on how (or if) testing would be handled for the land/sea trips, other than to acknowledge that it was too soon to know what May and on would look like. 

Just last week, our TA confirmed that our final payment for our mid-May Double Denali/Noordam land/sea trip would not be due until March (60 days out rather than 90).

Hopefully, plans will go forward - I feel HAL has no more desire to cancel or make things more difficult than necessary than we do. 

Thanks again for your reply.

Edited by 2inSETexas

While many replies here have been helpful, the bottom line is the OP had a valid and straightforward question for HAL that was NOT answered by HAL.  Despite the ever changing covid landscape, the question was simple...  how to test prior to boarding?   I sympathize with the OP's frustration in not getting an answer from the source!

• Like 1

The honest answer is they don’t know.  No one knows.  Much will change soon for US travelers perhaps but Canada is very uncertain and there is no clarity.   If an imminent decision is needed say no.  

I have a Canadian cruise with my sis this summer and her situation is also difficult.  I don’t see any travel filling up anytime soon so we decided we will likely cancel before payment and reschedule closer to the date. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, grooker said:

I spent the last 2 days on the phone with the tour operator, our travel agent and Holland America

trying to get clarity on how we will get valid COVID pcr tests on day 2 or

3 while in Denali or Anchorage so that we can board the Noordam on day 4, southbound to Vancouver.

Confused....isn't  Holland America the tour operator for the land portion of your trip ? 

1 hour ago, Mary229 said:

The honest answer is they don’t know.  No one knows.  Much will change soon for US travelers perhaps but Canada is very uncertain and there is no clarity.   If an imminent decision is needed say no.  

I have a Canadian cruise with my sis this summer and her situation is also difficult.  I don’t see any travel filling up anytime soon so we decided we will likely cancel before payment and reschedule closer to the date. 

The cruise lines and tour operators wringing hands and exclaiming, oh this is hard

we do not know what to do is simply UNACCEPTABLE.

They should MAKE CONTINGENCY PLANS anyway for pre-order cruise

covid testing, publish it, stand by it, change it if needed but HAVE A PLAN.

Sick of this.

1 hour ago, julia said:

While many replies here have been helpful, the bottom line is the OP had a valid and straightforward question for HAL that was NOT answered by HAL.  Despite the ever changing covid landscape, the question was simple...  how to test prior to boarding?   I sympathize with the OP's frustration in not getting an answer from the source!

Thank you. Hank.  Your wisdom and perspective is truly appreciated.

We are much less experienced travelers and therefore less risk tolerant.

However, the travel agency we booked with could have did a better

job of giving us at least a shred of a tentative plan and that they would

take care of us.  But to tell us that may have fi nd our own

cOvid tests somewhere downtown Anchorage was simply appalling

and unacceptable.  We are sure Holland America would have been more

forthcoming and prepared, but they were not managing the pre-cruise

land tour.  We are just not comfortable sending in $8k final payment in

the current unstable and unpredictable environment.  Thanks.